AF issues with 50-200 on E-M1ii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! AF issues with 50-200 on E-M1ii

I've noticed that my 50-200 tends to miss focus (I think front-focusing) when the subject is distant. It's fine at closer distances. If I manually focus then it's fine, as it is if I use the "Pre-AF" function on the camera with the distance set to its maximum.

I could try focus calibration I guess, but I'm concerned that would throw off focus on near subjects.

Thoughts?
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Re: AF issues with 50-200 on E-M1ii

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
    I've noticed that my 50-200 tends to miss focus (I think front-focusing) when the subject is distant. It's fine at closer distances. If I manually focus then it's fine, as it is if I use the "Pre-AF" function on the camera with the distance set to its maximum.

I could try focus calibration I guess, but I'm concerned that would throw off focus on near subjects.

Thoughts?
    Maybe you're experiencing issues I had (with the 40-150 Pro +MC14) & the cross PD-AF sensing is larger than you're allowing for (being larger than indicated in the display & EVF). Or maybe not.
    Can you show us the scene (image) with what you're trying to focus on? The front focussed image & with a small crop enlarged would be good.

EDIT: You may still need to adjust Fine AF though.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
      Maybe you're experiencing issues I had (with the 40-150 Pro +MC14) & the cross PD-AF sensing is larger than you're allowing for (being larger than indicated in the display & EVF).
      Can you show us the scene (image) with what you're trying to focus on?

EDIT: You may still need to adjust Fine AF though.
      Thanks Ross. I don't have immediate examples at hand, but I tried to take some shots of a distant helicopter yesterday that showed the problem pretty clearly (or not clearly, if you see what I mean!). The subject was against a clear blue sky (I know, a rarity in Blighty) ao I don't think it's AF area related. Other examples I've had have been on landscape shots with distant tress with nothing in a nearer focal plane to upset the AF. I'll take some shots later and post to show some examples.
      Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
        Thanks Ross. I don't have immediate examples at hand, but I tried to take some shots of a distant helicopter yesterday that showed the problem pretty clearly (or not clearly, if you see what I mean!). The subject was against a clear blue sky (I know, a rarity in Blighty) ao I don't think it's AF area related. Other examples I've had have been on landscape shots with distant tress with nothing in a nearer focal plane to upset the AF. I'll take some shots later and post to show some examples.
        That sounds like you need to do those adjustments. Maybe do the tele end for longer distance subjects & the wide end with closer subjects. When doing my 50-200 SWD lens on the E-M1 I only needed to do the tele end. It may be fine after the adjustment for closer subjects still. I think you'll need to suck & see.
        Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

It's a while since I've thought about the 'dreaded' AF lens system... as a consequence I can't remember if the lens 'acquires' focus wide open, then stops down immediately prior to exposure. Is that correct? If so it could be 'focus shift' as a consequence of stopping down, closing the aperture.
          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Yes sounds correct to me .
            Rob.

Comment

Working...
            X