Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Panasonic 100-400

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
    It is stiff, and not very smooth, with the zoom lock off, but it is less stiff after a couple of years of infrequent use.

I got caught out recently, wondering why I couldn't get the close shots I wanted of dragonflies. I realised, when I got home, that I must have knocked the focus limiter (something I never use) into preventing focus closer than 5m.

Harold
    The secondhand Tamron I have for my dreaded Nikon DSLR usually spends so long hunting for focus that my target has flown off by the time the picture takes.
    I have tried the limit switch in the 15-∞ position but that's no use for close up, and with birds in flight it is very unlikely to find the bird.

I have an ancient Pentax 6x7 100mm macro lens which I use with a tilt-shift adapter and that glides so smoothly under it's own weight that you can only take horizontal macro pictures. It's does produce beautiful results, but doesn't have a lock which is very frustrating as many macro pictures need to be on a tripod and very prone to lens creep and camera shake.
    I think a bit of stiffness is preferable to that silky gliding.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelica View Post
      The secondhand Tamron I have for my dreaded Nikon DSLR usually spends so long hunting for focus that my target has flown off by the time the picture takes.
      I have tried the limit switch in the 15-∞ position but that's no use for close up, and with birds in flight it is very unlikely to find the bird.

I have an ancient Pentax 6x7 100mm macro lens which I use with a tilt-shift adapter and that glides so smoothly under it's own weight that you can only take horizontal macro pictures. It's does produce beautiful results, but doesn't have a lock which is very frustrating as many macro pictures need to be on a tripod and very prone to lens creep and camera shake.
      I think a bit of stiffness is preferable to that silky gliding.
      I had the severe hunting problem with the Olympus 4/3 70-300mm on my EP-2. The problem is absent on the EM1 but I no longer use the lens.

RE: "many macro pictures need to be on a tripod" I hand-hold all my macro, sometime working on an outdoor (pub type) table, where some shots let me support via my elbows. If support its needed, it is for off-camera flash. I shoot macro almost every day.

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

I had the severe hunting problem with the Olympus 4/3 70-300mm on my EP-2. The problem is absent on the EM1 but I no longer use the lens.

RE: "many macro pictures need to be on a tripod" I hand-hold all my macro, sometime working on an outdoor (pub type) table, where some shots let me support via my elbows. If support its needed, it is for off-camera flash. I shoot macro almost every day.

Harold
        Oh, it can still hunt & it takes a long time to cycle through it's range to get there when it does. I've dug mine out just for laughs & even with an EC-14 recently, just to see how it could perform (on the E-M1 II). If the camera can see to lock focus it isn't bad, but any movement or a less contrasty subject it is a test of patience.
        Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
          Oh, it can still hunt & it takes a long time to cycle through it's range to get there when it does. I've dug mine out just for laughs & even with an EC-14 recently, just to see how it could perform (on the E-M1 II). If the camera can see to lock focus it isn't bad, but any movement or a less contrasty subject it is a test of patience.
          My experience with various AF lenses, including the 100-400, is that any confusing background, such as reeds or grass, causes any of them to hunt. If I want to use AF for a dragonfly resting on a leafy twig I have to prefocus on something at a similar distance first to be in with chance.

I would use MF but it is so appalling on the 100-400 that it might as well not exist.

Harold
          The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

My experience with various AF lenses, including the 100-400, is that any confusing background, such as reeds or grass, causes any of them to hunt. If I want to use AF for a dragonfly resting on a leafy twig I have to prefocus on something at a similar distance first to be in with chance.

I would use MF but it is so appalling on the 100-400 that it might as well not exist.

Harold
            My 40-150 Pro lens (with TC) can hunt too if the subject & AF target area isn't suitably sized etc., but at least it's a very quick cycle, unlike the 70-300 lens. I only briefly tried that 100-400 lens but the Olympus Pro lenses do give good MF control though.
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Well it arrived ... My eagerly anticipated Panasonic 100-400mm and I couldn't wait to take it out but it was blowing a gail out there... so I picked a branch of my cherry tree before all the petals blew away and had a practice inside.
              https://flic.kr/p/2hCy975

My challenge was to make the blossoms look delicate and translucent and the water drops look crystal clear and wet.

My first impressions: yes, the zoom is a bit too stiff and I had to tighten the orientation release or it would twist the orientation rather than zooming.
              It does seem bright enough and crystal clear even with max aperture... but time will tell when I get started outdoors.

Comment

Working...
              X