Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

Originally posted by IamFisheye View Post
    Has anyone seen any good in the field wildlife action shots using the new 300mm F4 Pro. I've seen a lot of static images that show off it's sharpness but I would really like to see how this lens fairs with moving subjects (and something other than birds in flight).
    Try this site review for real wild life shooting experience.
    http://www.ianflemingphotography.com...00-mm-f4/c1xcj
    John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Thanks John, I've been in touch with him on Facebook already. Not the action shots I'm looking for. I'm really after cheetah taking down a gazelle or wild dogs* in hot pursuit of an impala. I'm not asking for much ;-)

I think I'm going to contact Olympus and offer to field test one myself.

*not that you need 600mm for wild dogs where I'm going next month, 100mm can be too long.
      Last edited by IamFisheye; 21st January 2016, 09:58 PM. Reason: smiley was broken
      She’s the main man in the office in the city
      And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki

Half Man Half Biscuit

Comment

I'm only just getting into m43 but coming from DSLR & bird photography background, both these lenses look really interesting. I think the Panny price is more affordable and may offer a better range of options. I've had 300, 400 & 600 primes in the big world and also 100-400 zoom and although the prime IQ is probably better, the flexibility of a good zoom is relevant. Be good to see some comparisons when they're both being used.

Comment

For some reason I had got it into my head that the 300mm f4 is an extremely heavy lens. However, it seems that it is not much (or any) heavier than the 50-200 SWD and EC-14 that I am using at the moment. Here are the figures taken from the Olympus UK site:

E-M1 497g
          300mm f4 (without tripod mount) 1270g
          Combined weight 1767g

E-M1 497g
          50-200mm SWD 995g
          EC-14 170g
          MMF-3 adapter 42g
          Combined weight 1704g

So, it seems that the E-M1 and 300mm f4 weighs just 63g more than what I carry at the moment. The MC-14 teleconverter adds an extra 105g.

Intriguingly, when I placed my camera with the 50-200mm, EC-14 and adapter on my kitchen scales tonight they weighed in at 1810g. I don't know if my scales are faulty or if the Olympus specs don't include the weight of the lens hood. Plus I had a strap attached. Anyway, that is the weight which I carry at the moment.

So it seems that I can't use the weight of the 300mm f4 as a reason not to buy one. The cost, however, is a different matter altogether.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
            The cost, however, is a different matter altogether.

Ron
            And possibly the size, it may be a bit of a beast.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Paul View Post

Paul
              From what I've seen and read, it appears the new 300mm lens is about the same size as the 40-150 Pro with the hood extended.

Not that much of a beast although certainly big for a micro four thirds lens.

Dave

Comment

Paul
                You call that a beast? According to the Olympus site, the 300mm f4 is 227mm long and 280mm with the hood extended. It is 92.5mm in diameter.

My 50-200 SWD, with the EC-14 and MMF-3 is 265mm long or 345mm with the lens hood attached (fully zoomed.) The lens hood is 112mm wide. Now that's what you call a lens!

No wonder I always need a lie down when I get back from using it.

Ron

Comment

The sample images for the Oly 300mm on the Imaging Review site are pure trash !
                  Robin Wong has his up now http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2016/0...ns-review.html
                  the best I've seen so far, but they are taken fairly close, in pretty controlled environments.

and also a very good Olympus Visionary
                  https://franktsmith.wordpress.com/20...he-power-lens/
                  taken in real world locations... if you open each pic and then click on them a second time you will get enlarged pics

Comment

Looks impressive!!
                    Amazing images.
                    I wonder how the panny will compare
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/eos-mike/

www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

Comment

Originally posted by mstphoto View Post
                      Looks impressive!!
                      Amazing images.
                      I wonder how the panny will compare
                      There are some sample images from the Panny in the thread about it, I can't make up my mind whether I've fallen victim to the DSLR desease of "mines better better than yours", but I "think" I can see a difference in quality, though it may be me justifying the extra cost of the Olympus to myself! 😜
                      I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                        I "think" I can see a difference in quality, though it may be me justifying the extra cost of the Olympus to myself! ��
                        Go on buy it, you know you want to

Paul

Comment

Go on buy it, you know you want to

Paul
                          Help like that I can't afford! 😜
                          I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I'd have to budget for the 1.4 extender as well making the Olympus roughly twice the price of the Panny.
                            I like the versatility of a zoom lens
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/eos-mike/

www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

Comment

I'd love to have this lens, i've waited a long time for it -- but that price! I feel like i'm in mourning since i heard it. Also, the pre-order price here is almost us$1000 more than in the States ($2200 vs. $3140). That 30% disparity is bugging me more than the cost itself.

A 'free' holiday in America perhaps, or a grey import, either way i'll just have to find a way to get this lens as the IQ looks vgood and i simply can't be arsed to jump ship .

With so much premium priced stuff coming from Olympus over the next 12-18(?) months i wonder who's going to be buying it all -- the PenF, 300/f4, EM1ii, and 3x f1.2 primes for starters. Interesting times ahead.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/

Comment

I'm in the same position. I've waited for a lens like this ever since I bought my G2 several years ago. I had the 45-200, 100-300, and then the 50-200 when I got my E-M1. That was replaced by the 40-150 and MC-14. But I've always wanted a good super-tele. Finally, it arrives and I don't know if I can afford it .

Then, I know the E-M1 II is going to be announced before too long. If it has a 20+mp sensor and properly working C-AF, I'm going to have to have that too. I can't sell the kids really as they've grown up and left home!

Comment

Working...
                                X