Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

When and where are you two meeting up to compare lenses and how much are the tickets?
    Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Not sure if it's a typo or not, but when you check the spec of the 300mm lens on the Wex website, it says the 1.4 teleconverter and a protection filter is included in the price!!
      Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

Originally posted by CJJE View Post
        Not sure if it's a typo or not, but when you check the spec of the 300mm lens on the Wex website, it says the 1.4 teleconverter and a protection filter is included in the price!!
        Good spot! Maybe that's why the UK price seems a bit high compared to Europe and US? Or just a typo?

Comment

Originally posted by CJJE View Post
          I think that's a typo as the specs on the Olympus page show the TC and filter as optional purchases.

I think it could be expensive for Wex though if people order based on that web page.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DavyG View Post
            I think that's a typo as the specs on the Olympus page show the TC and filter as optional purchases.

I think it could be expensive for Wex though if people order based on that web page.

Dave
            No doubt they'll claim the price is subject to omissions and errors if they aren't able to honour the webpage!
            Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

Maybe time to ask SRS to match it?
              Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

I see WEX have removed the reference to the accessories altogether now. It was obviously an error. However they quote the focal length as 600mm! They also say the Panny 100-400 is 400 wide and 100 tele with 0 aperture blades.

Ron

Comment

Regards,
                  Mark

------------------------------
                  http://www.microcontrast.com
                  Too much Oly gear.
                  Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                  Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

This site has a review of the lens with some raw files which can be downloaded if you are brave enough. The deer looks extremely good.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                      This site has a review of the lens with some raw files which can be downloaded if you are brave enough. The deer looks extremely good.

Ron
                      Yes, there are some excellent examples on that site. I have processed some of the images with the MC-14 and they are very, very good. Especially considering that the lighting was quite poor. The image stabiliser is amazing.

Comment

Regarding the shutter shock issue, I wondering if that is only a problem when using relatively low shutters speeds (1/125>), the reviews don't really clarify this. If so then it's not such an important issue as most of the time the lens would be used with higher shutter speeds to reduce motion blur.

Having said that, looking at the photos taken in the link Olybirder posted the images look tack sharp and most of these were at low shutter speeds, so it sort of makes me wonder what all the shutter shock fuss is about?

Paul

Comment

I'm not sure Paul, but I think it only applies at a range of medium shutter speeds. At high speeds the exposure is short enough that the effect doesn't show, at slow speeds there is enough exposure that is not affected so it is masked. From memory most cases that I have heard people talk about have been in the 1/100 to 1/200 range.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has definitely seen the effect, and even better if anyone as done some tests to isolate when it happens.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Paul View Post
                            Regarding the shutter shock issue, I wondering if that is only a problem when using relatively low shutters speeds (1/125>), the reviews don't really clarify this. If so then it's not such an important issue as most of the time the lens would be used with higher shutter speeds to reduce motion blur.

Having said that, looking at the photos taken in the link Olybirder posted the images look tack sharp and most of these were at low shutter speeds, so it sort of makes me wonder what all the shutter shock fuss is about?

Paul
                            Over at Pen and Tell the guy reckons that the shutter shock only happens on the tripod - I think (translation is a bit dodgy). He has done 4 articles on the 300 f/4 now. Worth a read.

Comment

Has anyone seen any good in the field wildlife action shots using the new 300mm F4 Pro. I've seen a lot of static images that show off it's sharpness but I would really like to see how this lens fairs with moving subjects (and something other than birds in flight).
                              Shes the main man in the office in the city
                              And she treats me like Im just another lackey
                              But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
                              And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki

Half Man Half Biscuit

Comment

Originally posted by IamFisheye View Post
                                Has anyone seen any good in the field wildlife action shots using the new 300mm F4 Pro. I've seen a lot of static images that show off it's sharpness but I would really like to see how this lens fairs with moving subjects (and something other than birds in flight).
                                Mirrorlessons did a video test - it's also on their website.

https://youtu.be/mW_q3AeGo_c
                                OMD E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 pro, 40-150 f2.8 pro, MC-14, MMF-3 & 70-300 f4-5.6

E-620, 12-40 , 40-150 f4-5.6,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68406149@N08/

Comment

Working...
                                X