Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

Yes I think it sounds like IS but the sound is still there if I switch off IS on the lens. Also tries switching off Auto Focus...noise still apparent with both switched off.

Comment

Apparently according to Olympus (Europe) there will be a very low pitched humming sound as it has some connection to electro magnets holding components in position,on the IS system. They state that this is a normal function. I have just placed my 40-150pro onto the body and can hear the same sound albeit it a lower volume. Im assuming that is from the IBIS system. This is all in a very quiet room. Thinking about it I probably wont hear anything once outside. Ive just taken some test shots and have to say, its a cracking lens!

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeG View Post
        Lens just arrived from London Camera Exchange. Mint condition. However when mounted on my EM1ii there seems to be a low level humming noise from the lens? Does anyone else have this?
        The noise is perfectly normal its the lens stabilisation system, you can hear the motor.
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

• Comment

With the excellent combined (body & lens) image stabilisation of 6.5 stops with this lens & body, how often & where would you be using a tripod?
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
              With the excellent combined (body & lens) image stabilisation of 6.5 stops with this lens & body, how often & where would you be using a tripod?
              Occasionally. I accept your points - one of the attractions of the kit - but there are the odd times when one wants less weight and more stability.

Comment

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
                Be careful with shutter shock!

We tested all three primary shooting modes with the E-M1 (single-shot, anti-shock and silent modes), and found the Silent mode did indeed provide the sharpest images with the Olympus 300mm. Testing this again handheld with I.S. enabled, we also found similar results, with Silent mode producing better images when using a slower shutter speeds (1/125s for our handheld tests, for example)."

[I don't think that has been posted here before, but apologies if it has]
                Is that really the case? Silent mode (the heart symbol on the menus) is better than anti-shock mode (the diamond shape)? The way they are named suggests the otyher way round ("silent" suggests an attempt to reduce noice rather than vibrations)

Comment

Silent uses the electronic shutter not the mechanical one, therefore no vibration.
                  Stuff from Cuba
                  More stuff from Cuba
                  It all started here

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                    Let's see, in the past few months, waves breaking over rocks at sunrise, fireworks across the local Bay and mist swirling through trees.
                    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                      Let's see, in the past few months, waves breaking over rocks at sunrise, fireworks across the local Bay and mist swirling through trees.
                      Yeah, OK. I get the point.
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                      X