Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

    A couple of recent examples of work with the E-M1 MkII, MC-14 teleconverter and mZuiko 300mm Pro
    An USNavy Seahawk from aircraft carrier CVN-77 USS George W Bush and a Royal Navy Wildcat on Exercise in the north of England

    ISO 200: 1/250 sec: f/13


    ISO 250: 1/320 sec: f/6.3

    I've still got lots of learning but the camera & lens combo has been almost my standard kit of late. The reliability of the AF in aquisition and hold is generally good but I tend to work in fairly challenging conditions, so all in all I'm really pleased with the combo.
    Cheers, Chris
    If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
    or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

    Comment


    • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

      Those shots are amazing, Chris ! I love aircraft but regardless of that, what a compliment to both photographer and Olympus gear.


      Mark

      Comment


      • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

        Originally posted by bassman View Post
        Those shots are amazing, Chris ! I love aircraft but regardless of that, what a compliment to both photographer and Olympus gear.


        Mark
        Cheers, that said, the helicopters flew so close overhead that I probably could have used every Pro lens going! But ... the 300mm (& teleconverter) gets the distant to medium range shots and that's the key importance for me, as this type of close shot is a relative rarity! I'm sometimes shooting aircraft up to 4 miles away such as this photo of a recent RAF A400M taken unfortunately in heavy drizzle (so not a good quality image but amazing catch that couldn't have been caught with any other MZuiko lens perhaps)

        Regards, Chris.
        If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
        or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

        Comment


        • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

          Another obvious advantage of the mZuiko 300mm Pro is wildlife, which is a whole new field for me, so I'm loving the challenges!

          Kestrel photobombed by a Swallow

          ISO 800: 1/1000: f/5.6: MC-14

          Regards, Chris
          If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
          or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

          Comment


          • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

            That Kestrel shot is a bit special Chris. A remarkable sight.

            Ron

            Comment


            • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

              One from a few days ago he landed in the garden.
              Rob.
              1/1600 f4 iso 400
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

                Originally posted by MargaretR View Post
                So having just had the email from Olympus about this lens, that starts off "With the new telemacro lens from Olympus...."

                I'm being a bit thick, I know, but how can a 600mm equiv lens possibly be a 'macro' anything? Surely this is one whose whole purpose is being far away from your subject and bringing it (a lot) closer? Or what am I not understanding about the terminology? The email certainly doesn't make it clear what they mean.

                There are people much more expert than me on here, but here's at least a first go at responding.

                The notion of "Macro" is about the ability to have tiny things filling the frame. It is therefore dependent on two factors: the focal length and the ability to focus at something close. A 70 mm lens which can focus no closer than one metre has equivalent macro capability as a 140mm lens which can focus only down to 2 metres.

                The Oly 300mm f/4.0 has a minimum focus distance of 1.4metres (from sensor to image) which - when combined with its long focal length, gives it quiet a high macro capability, though not as high as purpose-built macro lenses.

                One benefit of long focal lengths for macro work is that the lens can be further fro the subject, which can hep when photographing insects which might be frightened away by a camera just a few centimetres away.

                Comment


                • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

                  Originally posted by RobEW View Post
                  There are people much more expert than me on here, but here's at least a first go at responding.

                  The notion of "Macro" is about the ability to have tiny things filling the frame. It is therefore dependent on two factors: the focal length and the ability to focus at something close. A 70 mm lens which can focus no closer than one metre has equivalent macro capability as a 140mm lens which can focus only down to 2 metres.

                  The Oly 300mm f/4.0 has a minimum focus distance of 1.4metres (from sensor to image) which - when combined with its long focal length, gives it quiet a high macro capability, though not as high as purpose-built macro lenses.

                  One benefit of long focal lengths for macro work is that the lens can be further fro the subject, which can hep when photographing insects which might be frightened away by a camera just a few centimetres away.
                  Maybe this shot helps in the explanation? Not quite macro but close focus....

                  I didn’t get where I am today....

                  Comment


                  • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

                    This quote from image resource explains a bit more, seems like a marketing comparison for the big boys!

                    Macro
                    Stuff from Cuba
                    More stuff from Cuba
                    It all started here

                    Comment


                    • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

                      Originally posted by Walti View Post
                      Maybe this shot helps in the explanation? Not quite macro but close focus....



                      (Photo of insect)
                      That's breathtakingly gorgeous. Do you mind my asking - was it in natural light? What lens and aperture? Did you use focus stacking of some kind?

                      Comment


                      • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

                        300mm + mc-14 about 2 metres away.

                        [IMG][/IMG]
                        Dave

                        My Flickr

                        Comment


                        • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

                          Originally posted by RobEW View Post
                          That's breathtakingly gorgeous. Do you mind my asking - was it in natural light? What lens and aperture? Did you use focus stacking of some kind?
                          Natural daylight. F7.1, 1/1000s ISO 1000

                          No stacking or anything else.
                          I didn’t get where I am today....

                          Comment


                          • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

                            I knew I shouldnt have read this thread.... just pulled the trigger on a 300mm f4 pro.
                            May well be selling my PL 100-400 if the 300mm performs as described.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

                              Lens just arrived from London Camera Exchange. Mint condition. However when mounted on my EM1ii there seems to be a low level humming noise from the lens? Does anyone else have this?

                              Comment


                              • Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

                                Originally posted by BreezeG View Post
                                Lens just arrived from London Camera Exchange. Mint condition. However when mounted on my EM1ii there seems to be a low level humming noise from the lens? Does anyone else have this?
                                Could it be the OIS you can hear (like so many were concerned with the noise from the E-M5 when first introduced)?
                                Ross
                                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X