Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

Just to demonstrate the resolving power of this lens:
    2 shots of the top of the communications tower on Bagshot Heath. Both shots are .orf files exported from Lightroom with no post processing other than conversion to jpeg.

Top of the tower

Detail from upper left corner of tower.
    If I'd thought of lowering the iso from 400 then it might look even better.

Comment

Brief but very positive review of the 300 by Scott Bourne in this Photofocus podcast, and also some supportive comments on m4/3 lenses in general from both Bourne and the guest. He's a serious bird photographer.

https://photofocus.com/2016/08/28/ph...arco-larousse/
      Regards,
      Mark

------------------------------
      http://www.microcontrast.com
      Too much Oly gear.
      Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
      Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

I've been using my lens on a GH3 and even without the dual stabilization I have been able to shoot birds down to 1/40s. I am looking forward to the E-M1 Mkii and all the benefits that it will bring.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
            One question. I know it is not being marketed as such, but has anyone tried taking a portrait at 12 metres at full aperture? If so, what does it look like compared with the 75mm f1.8 at 3 metres?

The 'Big Dog' has used it for portraiture, I don't know if he was 12 metres back ( I doubt it ) but he does say he had to stand a long way back and he has a large studio. Scroll down past the rugby shots.

https://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/t...ympus-300mm-f4

https://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/t...ompression-web

I received mine on Tuesday, took advantage of a sale Clifton Cameras were running. Not had chance to actually put it to good use yet, will primarily use it in bird photography however some portrait use with it has also crossed my mind too.

Simon
            “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
            ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Thanks. The rugby pictures were excellent and paradoxically, gave me the info that was after (what the bokeh would look like) more than the actual portrait did. The latter is probably a studio job that I do not have access to. I was interested in knowing what an outdoor portrait would look lime with the 300mm f4.

Comment

• Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

Just got this lens from cameracentreuk. It arrived a few hours ago so just been out to give it a first test. Took a few shots using the MC14 teleconverter hand held. To say I am impressed is an understatement. I have shaky hands and the image stabilisation is just amazing.

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Congrats! You will love this lens. It is my favourite and I use it all the time.

It's good for close-up too!

Comment

Hi all, whilst using the 300f4 pro yesterday the lens hood has stuck in the extended position, not for the first time either! This time I believe it's not going to move I have used as much force as I dare to unstick it. Any ideas please. Has any other people had this problem? It's not the same as my 40-150pro it seems a cheaperhood altogether.
                      Kind regards Mike
                      http://www.wingsofnature.org

Comment

Originally posted by Mdb2 View Post
                        Hi all, whilst using the 300f4 pro yesterday the lens hood has stuck in the extended position, not for the first time either! This time I believe it's not going to move I have used as much force as I dare to unstick it. Any ideas please. Has any other people had this problem? It's not the same as my 40-150pro it seems a cheaperhood altogether.
                        Kind regards Mike
                        Not had the issue with mine (touch wood).
                        As you know when holding it and looking at it from the camera end turning the hood clockwise locks it so all I can suggest is try and turn it anti-clockwise to release the grip.

I did have a similar issue with my 12-100 pro when the hood got cross threaded. In the end after calming down I managed to remove it using force.

It taught me a lesson to always be very gentle when extending or attaching hoods. Hope you can get it sorted.
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks Wornish, I have tried and tried to the extent that I Am afraid to do damage I will take it into SRS,when I return EM1mk2 that I have at present through the OLY test and wow. I should have returned the lens before now! This is not the first time it's happened. The hood attachment mechanism does not seem as sturdy as the 40-150 pro!
                          Kind regards Mike

Comment

One from today 300f4 +1.4tc I used caf and it is quite good but I do need to try saf .
                            Rob.
                            http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/92740

Comment

Originally posted by Mdb2 View Post
                              Kind regards Mike
                              Mine has never stuck, but it's nowhere near as secure and confident in operation as the 40-150. It'll be interesting to hear what Oly have to say.
                              Regards,
                              Mark

------------------------------
                              http://www.microcontrast.com
                              Too much Oly gear.
                              Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                              Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
                                Mine has never stuck, but it's nowhere near as secure and confident in operation as the 40-150. It'll be interesting to hear what Oly have to say.
                                Hear hear, drmarkf.

Yesterday and today I put the em1mk2 and 300f4 with converter to the test with both stationary birds and BIF. My findings thus far are promising whilst it is no 7d2 it is a vast improvement over the em1. I do realise as with all camera/ lens combos that it's practice practice and more practice. But things are looking good. The weather this w/e has been a mixture so I have managed to try some high ISO shots as well as high shutter speeds, I will hopefully be out again tomorrow. The battery is a significant improvement I shot over 900 images in total. Although I have found that I have inadvertently pushed the lever over a couple of times and for a short while wondered what the hell is happening? I will report further on my test and wow I do believe Nikon and canon should consider this.
                                Kind regards Mike.

Comment

Working...
                                X