Hand-held experiments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand-held experiments.

After a busy day which included a short but non-productive visit to my local reserve I decided to try a bit of hand-held MF shooting with the Canon EF400mm on the E-M1 with common garden birds. Used this lens quite a bit on the E-M1 and E-M5 before but mainly resting on a hide ledge or with mono/tripods. Sitting in my favourite bower with a glass of red wine I noticed how rich the bird life is compared to the reserve so decided to have a go with the aforementioned set-up unsupported. The big advantage withe E-M1 is that a half press of the shutter button initiates the IBIS which can help enormously with manual focusing, however it is a shame that the IBIS is cancelled as soon as Magnify is actuated.

Just a few of my keepers (in good light the keeper rate is around 80% less so in poor light):

Dunnock singing (could be sharper):

Goldie on feeder:

Adult male Greenfinch:

Juvenile Greenfinch:

No garden would be complete without at least one of these (I have several):

And my only attempt at BIF, huge crop:

David
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Re: Hand-held experiments.

You seem to be getting on well with this set up.
    Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
      The big advantage withe E-M1 is that a half press of the shutter button initiates the IBIS which can help enormously with manual focusing, however it is a shame that the IBIS is cancelled as soon as Magnify is actuated.
      David
      If you have manual focus assist enabled, the magnification and IBIS start as soon as you move the focus ring. I use it all the time for birds and bugs.
      All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by andym View Post
        If you have manual focus assist enabled, the magnification and IBIS start as soon as you move the focus ring. I use it all the time for birds and bugs.
        Unfortunately this doesn't work with the Canon as their is no electronic connection to let the camera know the ring is being moved.

David
        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Working...
        X