Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-demo 90-250 at Warehouse Express

Re: Ex-demo 90-250 at Warehouse Express

Sssh, I've been eyeing up that one for a while but money is something that I'm forgetting the colour of, but it certainly looked a worthwhile bargain for someone who is feeling flush! It seems to have been in the bargain section of WE for some time, so maybe it'll find a user from our ranks.

Regards
    Chris
    If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
    or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

With this in mind, here's a question: Apart from being one stop slower, would a 90-250 at 210mm + EC20 be as good as the 300mm Top pro + EC14?

Just a thought I had as it would definitely be more versatile.

David
      PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

I wish I knew! I bought the 300mm in September 2010 and the 90-250mm in May this year, both second hand. I've not used the latter as much as the 300mm. If I'm photographing birds then I prefer to have as much focal length as possible with or without the teleconverter. On the other hand if I'm photographing something a bit larger then the versatility of the zoom wins every time, especially if I can get close to it. Weight and size wise there's not much in it. Either way you get the pleasure of knowing you're using a top notch piece of kit.
        David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
          With this in mind, here's a question: Apart from being one stop slower, would a 90-250 at 210mm + EC20 be as good as the 300mm Top pro + EC14?

Just a thought I had as it would definitely be more versatile.

David
          Nope,
          300mm + EC14 would probably have similar IQ to 90-250@250mm (without EC), but of course with substantialy more reach.

There's no comparison really - if you need as much reach possible go for 300, but if you need a zoom go for 90-250mm.

Simple, yet complicated hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Mar View Post
            Nope,
            300mm + EC14 would probably have similar IQ to 90-250@250mm (without EC), but of course with substantialy more reach.

There's no comparison really - if you need as much reach possible go for 300, but if you need a zoom go for 90-250mm.

Simple, yet complicated hehe
            If you need that much reach there's also plenty of legacy glass available. I haven't seen any shots taken with the 300mm that would convince me to get one to replace my longer legacy glass.
            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by catkins View Post
              Sssh, I've been eyeing up that one for a while but money is something that I'm forgetting the colour of, but it certainly looked a worthwhile bargain for someone who is feeling flush! It seems to have been in the bargain section of WE for some time, so maybe it'll find a user from our ranks.

Regards
              Chris
              Oh no . . . . it looks like some lucky Oly user has managed to snaffle this lens up. Damn, another 3 years and 45 days and I would nearly have been able to consider putting down my offer. Oh well, there goes my challenge, my dream, my everything . . . and it's only the first day of the bright new year!!

Oh well, back to Google + and posting to this Forum! Happy New Year to you all, and I hope your dreams are achieved more easily than mine!!

Regards
              Chris

Comment

Oh no . . . . it looks like some lucky Oly user has managed to snaffle this lens up. Damn, another 3 years and 45 days and I would nearly have been able to consider putting down my offer. Oh well, there goes my challenge, my dream, my everything . . . and it's only the first day of the bright new year!!

Oh well, back to Google + and posting to this Forum! Happy New Year to you all, and I hope your dreams are achieved more easily than mine!!

Regards
                Chris

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Well I hope the 90-250 is a better deal than the 300mm on amazon otherwise it might be going back to wex. Will find out Wednesday

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gazza95 View Post
                    Well I hope the 90-250 is a better deal than the 300mm on amazon otherwise it might be going back to wex. Will find out Wednesday

Gary
                    Congratulations Gary
                    Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                    Capture One Pro
                    My flickr

Comment

Gary
                      Well, I hope that the way that I read this means that it's gone to a good home (for the time being at least!) and hopefully we'll see some of the results on this forum - in the meantime I'll keep on dreaming of a big lens, or good Amazon bargains that make people return Wex bargains basement items!

Regards
                      Chris

Comment

- in the meantime I'll keep on dreaming of a big lens

Regards
                        Chris
                        It depends on what you want a long lens for. There's lot's of fast, manual focus legacy glass I'd choose before getting a 90-250.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Chris, I will certainly be posting a few samples once I get to grips with the lens.

David, I have played with legacy lenses on Olympus and to be honest I was always dissapointed either with resolution or contrast. My conclusion is you need the best glass to get most out of current generation of sensors.

The alternative was Nikon but that route was going to get even more expensive for the focal length range I need for bikes, cars, planes and rowers.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                            It depends on what you want a long lens for. There's lot's of fast, manual focus legacy glass I'd choose before getting a 90-250.
                            I guess a/. I like dreaming & b/. I like taking photos of wildlife, low flying aircraft/helicopters, motor sports, etc., and the capabilities of this lens would be quite useful (but admittedly there are numerous discussions as to whether a high grade fixed lens is better quality than a high grade zoom lens)
                            Still, that's the joy of photography, we're never really satisfied, yet in terms of excellent value for most situations I have the kit that I need, while still keeping the dreams of what I want!!

Regards
                            Chris

Comment

David, I have played with legacy lenses on Olympus and to be honest I was always dissapointed either with resolution or contrast. My conclusion is you need the best glass to get most out of current generation of sensors.

Gary
                              It depends on the lens, there's legacy lenses out there that still out resolve the current generation of sensor.

I've yet to have a client/publisher reject a shot taken with legacy glass because of resolution or contrast. Mind you, I've also had a double page spread taken with the 14-42 kit lens.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Working...
                              X