Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sigma 150mm F/2.8 Macro...should I get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigma 150mm F/2.8 Macro...should I get it?

I like macro work. But have not liked the short working distance that comes with the typical FL for them...
    Is the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 with HSM a great contender for Sharpness, AF Speed, (even though it weights in at 2 Lbs) ??

Has anyone got one, and maybe some samples to look at. ??

Re: Sigma 150mm F/2.8 Macro...should I get it?

I don't have one, but would like to add to you question, in terms of how does it perform to the 50-200mm @ 150mm and also the Olympus 150mm taking the price difference into account.

Finally how is this lens compared to Sigma's 105mm one?

Comment

I Have one

The macro performance is top notch and sharp as you like , and as you can imagine, the lens is a VERY good 150mm 2.8 prime (but with relatively slow autofocus due to the amount of focus trave - but this can be restricted via a 3-way switch)

I am at work at the moment, but will post some Macro and General samples up later tonight, and if i get chance with the 1.4tc and 2.0tc as well.

Chris

Comment

Chris, any recommendation on where to buy one, most retailers don't have it in the Olympus Fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post

Jim, i went for the 150 mainly due to the internal focusing and the greater working distance.

I'm not a big fan of extending barrels on macro lenses as any movement can spook the 'prey', or cast an unwanted shadow on the subject.

Comment

Chris, any recommendation on where to buy one, most retailers don't have it in the Olympus Fit.
            Kerso if he can get hold of them, or ebay (i use Chinaarts for a lot of my purchases).

Ebay Item Number 330228621387

I got mine from Chinaarts, took 2 days from HK and no import taxes / VAT

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris.

Comment

I don't have one, but would like to add to you question, in terms of how does it perform to the 50-200mm @ 150mm and also the Olympus 150mm taking the price difference into account.

Well, Not really interested in a 50-200...I want a dedicated Macro lens. My 40-150 MK1 is plenty my needs. save the 5' focus limit.

The Sigma 105 has the NON HSM AF motor..Or I would consider that instead. It is a bit lighter (30oz over 51oz for the 150)

Comment

Originally posted by Chillimonster View Post
                  Jim, i went for the 150 mainly due to the internal focusing and the greater working distance.

I'm not a big fan of extending barrels on macro lenses as any movement can spook the 'prey', or cast an unwanted shadow on the subject.

That's a great point when casing small creatures.
                  Flowers don't care at all

I used to have a OM4 with a 90mm f/2.8 Tokina macro with the Twin TTL macro setup...Great combo..

Now I am intersted again in macro photography, after taking a few bee photos with 40-150 MK1 at 5 feet. See Photos HERE BTW: These are VERY TIGHT crops from the Org file...1100x825 or so...Very tight crop indeed..

Comment

Q. Can this lens be used as a prime 150mm (300mm) telephoto lens?

I already have the 50mm Oly macro, but I want a good fast zoom.

Comment

Originally posted by j.baker View Post

Absolutely....a 300mm f/2.8 prime for $600.00

The benefit of a long macro is keeping some distance between you and dangerous creatures (Bees come to mind)....Plus you also get a fast long prime that was made for the higher resolution required for macro work. It's like 2 great lens's in one. for $600.00

Comment

Does anyone have any images to share for this lens?

Comment

It focuses from nearest to infinity, just like any other lens. The only difference is that it is macro as well.

It won't work, it is not a zoom, it is a prime as you correctly state in your question.

Comment

Does anyone have any images to share for this lens?
                            There's a few images here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigmafourthirds/
                            Hugh of Bardfield
                            Essex, UK
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughofbardfield/
                            http://hughweller-lewisphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X