Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigma 1000 mm F:3.5 OM mount ?

I saw it lens for sale for approx 70 in a local paper

It is almost too cheap to be true, so I searched the internet but found nothing about this lens.
    I guess it is actually a 500mm with a 35 mm focal length of 1000 mm ?
    And F:3.5 aperture?

This evening I will call the seller and see if I can get to see it.

Does anybody here know about this particular Sigma product ?

Re: Sigma 1000 mm F:3.5 OM mount ?

If you search on sigma 1000mm 13.5 you will get some results.

Sorry but it's not a 3.5 lens - it even says 13.5 on the pictures

Nick
    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Hi Nick

Of course you're right - it was almost too god to be true !

I think I will try iy out anyhow, the seller lives quite near me

Comment

Originally posted by FlemmingS View Post
        Hi Nick

Of course you're right - it was almost too god to be true !

I think I will try iy out anyhow, the seller lives quite near me
        Well look on the bright side (and you'll need to to get an image with f13.5) if it really was an f3.5 the lens would be about a foot in diameter, now that would be awesome but maybe impratical.

Nick
        Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
        www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Absolutely - try it first! I wouldn't use that under about 1/2000th. f/13.5 is also well into diffraction softening territory.

But please do post some shots!

Ian
          Founder and editor of:
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
            Well look on the bright side (and you'll need to to get an image with f13.5) if it really was an f3.5 the lens would be about a foot in diameter, now that would be awesome but maybe impratical.

Nick
            Yes I will need a lot of light but I never go to the beach unless the sun is shining

I'll post pictures if I buy it

Comment

I have one of these and it's not at all bad on a film camera if you use it carefully. The viewfinder image is, of course, very dim.
              I found it next to useless on a 4/3 body, although useable with an EP2 because of the EV finder. Not worth the hassle though really. Although it says f13.5 its actually dimmer which doesn't help with the 4/3 sensor.
              But do try it out for some fun, you'll get your money back when it comes to selling.

Comment

Originally posted by Xpres View Post
                I have one of these and it's not at all bad on a film camera if you use it carefully. The viewfinder image is, of course, very dim.
                I found it next to useless on a 4/3 body, although useable with an EP2 because of the EV finder. Not worth the hassle though really. Although it says f13.5 its actually dimmer which doesn't help with the 4/3 sensor.
                But do try it out for some fun, you'll get your money back when it comes to selling.
                Thank you very much for sharing your experinces and advice
                I was thinking likewise regarding the very limitited usefullness due to the extreme aperture.
                I am meeting with the seller this evening and will try some handheld shots before I decide.

But another thing:
                Have you tried using it by night on a tri-pod and using Live-view (for instance shooting the moon) ?
                This could be very interesting.

Also I have been looking at reflex lenses, it seems Walliflex is selling some very affordable 500 and 800 mm lenses (T2 adapters).
                I guess they produce quite soft images with a lot of cromatic aberrations etc.
                But then again:
                The built-in image stabilisation of the E-camera is a clear advantage and they might actually be fun to use ?

'walimex pro 500/6,3 DX '

'walimex pro 800/8,0 DX'

Comment

Hi Flemming,

Regarding the 1000 mm F13.5: what application area did you have in mind? Wildlife/bird photography?

In addition to what others have written I would like to share my view since I recently mounted a spotting scope on a DSLR body, hence turning it into a 1500mm F12.8 with narrow angle of view (1.5 degrees or so).
                  - F13.5 will produce a dark image in the viewfinder and it will be difficult to focus through the viewfinder and sine the DOF is shallow there is a risk of poor yield.
                  - I would definitely recommend using a tripod to eliminate shake blur.
                  - Handheld: Weight is 1kg according to spec so it is feasible. IS may help a bit but you will need shutter times shorter than 1/1000s for handheld shooting. In sunny conditions (EV15) this is achievable with ISO 800, but in cloudy conditions (EV13) handheld will be a challenge. A monopod or other improvised support will help.
                  - Diffraction could be noticeable and produce soft images.

But at 70 is sounds like a good deal.

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Hi Tordan

Thank you very much for your very useful posting.

I hope it can be used like a spotting scope on a sturdy tripod, mostly wildlife and stationary birds, and hopefully for shooting the moon.

I am fully aware that the view finder will be extremely dim but I hope that live-view will be useful, especially using the magnification for fine tuning focus.

I'll post pictures if I decide to buy the thing

Comment

The Wallimex looks like the generic Vivitar/Hanimex/Centon 500mm f8...
                      E-600, E-500, E-330, Zuiko 14-42mm(Mk1 & Mk2), Zuiko 40-150mm, Zuiko 18-180mm, Zuiko 35mm Macro, loads of Rollei/Voigtlander QBM, Praktica PB, M42, Exakta and OM-fit legacy glass
                      My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Minty View Post
                        The Wallimex looks like the generic Vivitar/Hanimex/Centon 500mm f8...
                        add Phoenix/Samyang and a few more I've forgotten to the list;

http://www.samyang.pl/category,5,lenses

Although their 35mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 look interesting
                        It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

I haven't tried shooting the moon with the sigma. I'd imagine a huge effort would be needed to keep the lens stable while photographing something so far away with such a dim lens. I suspect the subject would also exaggerate any diffraction induced softness so I wouldn't have high hopes of success. Might be worth a try though.

As for other mirrors, I'd steer clear of the Korean versions of whatever vintage. Best value are the Tamron adaptalls, both 350 and 500. I you have more to spend then a Contax/yashica will serve well, as will one of the russians - I can't remember which at the moment but it's well reputed. google and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Xpres View Post
                            As for other mirrors, I'd steer clear of the Korean versions of whatever vintage. Best value are the Tamron adaptalls, both 350 and 500. I you have more to spend then a Contax/yashica will serve well, as will one of the russians - I can't remember which at the moment but it's well reputed. google and see.
                            Had the Tamron 500, didn't keep it long.

The biggest problem with most mirrors is they're not heavy enough to make a good door stop. And I've yet to see one that's close to it's quoted aperture.
                            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Well I did buy the thingie yesterday.
                              Decent build quality for the price (60), minimum focussing distance 5 meters.
                              I'll post some photos when I have tried it in sunny weather.
                              But I agree, it is a novelty but could be quite fun to play with. and it is a little light for a door stopper

Comment

Working...
                              X