Olympus 1.4 mc 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympus 1.4 mc 14

So I was out with my 300pro and above mentioned converter, with the em1mk2.
    I noticed there was a little looseness and on checking I found one screw missing.
    I may have dislodged it on disconnecting the converter. And two other screws loose. How on earth this can happen I will never know. On checking the remaining 3 out of four screws they are about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch cross chrome screws. Itís the side that attaches to the camera body. I have been in touch with SRS who couldnít help advising me to get in touch with Luton Camera repairs and they passed me onto Olympus. Who said to send the converter of to them for repair. I was advised maybe about £79 for a check and repair. I have tightened up the remaining 3 screws and all is well the camera and lens focused well all looseness has gone and apart from one screw missing itís all good. HDoes anyone know where I can get said screw or can anyone supply me with a screw to fit. I have tried to remove various other screws from other old camera bits but they seem to be welded in!. I am willing to pay for a screw and postage. It seems a bit stupid to send the converter to Portugal for a screw.

Kind regards mike
    http://www.wingsofnature.org

Re: Olympus 1.4 mc 14

Apparently a common problem, I had mine loosen off and caught them before I lost one, but it was close...

Edit: If you're going to the Photography show, the repair/cleaning service may be able to help you!

Comment

Just checked mine and they are all nice and tight. Perhaps they forgot to put some lock tight on the threads when they were assembling a batch.
      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Not sure exactly what you need to replace - I had a couple of tiny screws disappear from my laptop. I hunted in vain for the specific ones I needed but ended up buying a job lot of all sorts from eBay.
        If you search for Laptop screws you'll find lots of listings.

If you have a specific size e.g M2 x 4mm I'd be happy to trawl through and see if I can help.
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
          Apparently a common problem, I had mine loosen off and caught them before I lost one, but it was close...

Edit: If you're going to the Photography show, the repair/cleaning service may be able to help you!
          Thanks for the idea but alas decided not to go I case I submit to the new x

Kind regards mike

Comment

Originally posted by AMc View Post
            Not sure exactly what you need to replace - I had a couple of tiny screws disappear from my laptop. I hunted in vain for the specific ones I needed but ended up buying a job lot of all sorts from eBay.
            If you search for Laptop screws you'll find lots of listings.

If you have a specific size e.g M2 x 4mm I'd be happy to trawl through and see if I can help.
            Thanks I havenít got a clue as to size but their tiny? I noticed that their chrome and cross driver. Their is Avery nice little camera shop in farnborough you know the old fashioned type not these new types that only sell. Donít know if their still going/ trading. Will try to track them down although itís 25-30 miles away?

Kind regards mike

Comment

Just a thought, if the screws are tiny ... would something from an old pair of glasses fit?

You could also look at any number of other items to see if you can 'borrow' a screw which would not be missed like one holding a circuit board in place or from any other electrical item.

edit to say ... Make sure the thread is right, you could take one out of the MC14 to try carefully in the hole you took the trial screw from so you are not in danger of messing the thread on the MC14.

Comment

It does seem to be a strangely common problem. This link is to a blog by Panasonic Luminary Daniel J Cox who had the problem with his MC-14 (scroll down to the section on the 300mm f4). Not unsurprisingly it has affected his opinion of Olympus' build quality ever since.

I must check mine sometime and I hope you manage to get your problem solved without too much expense Mike.

Ron

Comment

Historically, the Japanese camera industry used JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screws. However, I have removed one screw from my own MC14 and the thread seems to match metric ISO M2. Unfortunately, there is a snag. The screws used in lenses always seem to have very small heads and the heads on standard M2 are too big to fit into the countersinking on the MC14 flange. I found one screw in my box that seemed to fit but that was a slotted head countersunk screw not cross headed.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_R2 View Post
                    Historically, the Japanese camera industry used JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screws. However, I have removed one screw from my own MC14 and the thread seems to match metric ISO M2. Unfortunately, there is a snag. The screws used in lenses always seem to have very small heads and the heads on standard M2 are too big to fit into the countersinking on the MC14 flange. I found one screw in my box that seemed to fit but that was a slotted head countersunk screw not cross headed.

Mark
                    Thanks Mark so Iím on my way itís a iso m2 size I will take one out later and check the length thanks again.
                    Kind regards mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                      It does seem to be a strangely common problem. This link is to a blog by Panasonic Luminary Daniel J Cox who had the problem with his MC-14 (scroll down to the section on the 300mm f4). Not unsurprisingly it has affected his opinion of Olympus' build quality ever since.

I must check mine sometime and I hope you manage to get your problem solved without too much expense Mike.

Ron
                      Thanks Ron, bit cheeky with Olympus wanting to charge. Their excuse that my mc14 was not a lens, or camera, so wasnít covered by my Olympus pro cover warranty. I am tempted to send them the link you gave me.
                      Thanks again
                      Kind regards mike

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
                        Just a thought, if the screws are tiny ... would something from an old pair of glasses fit?

You could also look at any number of other items to see if you can 'borrow' a screw which would not be missed like one holding a circuit board in place or from any other electrical item.

edit to say ... Make sure the thread is right, you could take one out of the MC14 to try carefully in the hole you took the trial screw from so you are not in danger of messing the thread on the MC14.
                        Thatís good thinking Keith many thanks.

Kind regards Mike.

Comment

Whenever an item of camera gear I have dies, I always keep as many of the tiny screws as I can recover. Goodness knows why but I have been doing this for years and have loads of them.
                          Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Mdb2 View Post
                            Their excuse that my mc14 was not a lens, or camera, so wasn’t covered by my Olympus pro cover warranty. I am tempted to send them the link you gave me.
                            You should be able to find a few more links as I've seen this fault reported a few times before. I would send them the links and point out that as you are paying for Pro cover they should deal with this as a known fault. All you are asking for is a checkup and 1 screw!

Found another link:
                            https://www.mu-43.com/threads/odd-e-...d-mc-14.89780/
                            Andy
                            bengeo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mdb2 View Post
                              Thanks Mark so Iím on my way itís a iso m2 size I will take one out later and check the length thanks again.
                              Kind regards mike.
                              If the replacement screw is too long, don't forget to put a nut on it before you cut it down, chamfer and deburr it.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X