Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The enigma that is the 25mm

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

    Originally posted by mstphoto View Post
    I'm tempted by a silver 25 f1.8 to match my 12mm & 45mm primes.
    Time will tell
    Mike
    Mike,

    Maybe that 'time' is now, then again maybe it's black .......

    Line 6 of Micro 4/3

    http://www.apertureuk.com/Other_Cameras.html

    Kind regards, Simon
    “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

      Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
      Mike,

      Maybe that 'time' is now, then again maybe it's black .......

      Line 6 of Micro 4/3

      http://www.apertureuk.com/Other_Cameras.html

      Kind regards, Simon
      That's a more realistic price Simon
      Could be tempted but I have my road tax to pay for this month
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/eos-mike/

      www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

        There is a 'user' review of the Panny here...http://www.janundseinekamera.de/pana...7-full-review/

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

          Originally posted by Dave in Wales View Post
          There is a 'user' review of the Panny here...http://www.janundseinekamera.de/pana...7-full-review/
          "To test the sharpness of Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 I compared it to the Panasonic Lumix 14-140mm F3.5-5.6."

          Why? It's a standard prime against a superzoom for goodness sake. It would be hard to find a more unlike lens for comparison.

          Are you any the wiser, Dave?
          John

          "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

            The reviewer mentions later on in the thread that he/she doesn't have any of the lenses you might use as comparison - Olympus 25mm F1.8, the Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4 or the Panasonic 20mm F1.7.
            It's more useful than the complete radio silence from the professional press but still not enough for me to part with my money yet.
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

              Originally posted by AMc View Post
              The reviewer mentions later on in the thread that he/she doesn't have any of the lenses you might use as comparison - Olympus 25mm F1.8, the Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4 or the Panasonic 20mm F1.7.
              It's more useful than the complete radio silence from the professional press but still not enough for me to part with my money yet.
              Yes, a review on the Internet is worth two that have yet to be completed, to misquote an old proverb.
              John

              "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

                Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                Yes, a review on the Internet is worth two that have yet to be completed, to misquote an old proverb.
                A review on the internet is.worth two in a magazine that can't afford to lose its advertising revenue. Non are worth anything unless the reviewers know what they're doing so that rules out most of them.
                It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

                David M's Photoblog

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

                  I have to agree with Graham, the PanaLeica 25mm f1.4 is a stunningly sharp lens.

                  I am not bothered about the inbility to reverse the lens shade (I keep mine attached when in the bag) as it would rquire a larger round shade rather than the nicely shaped one that comes with the lens.

                  I will be sticking with this lens and despite the new ones being a lot cheaper, I still find the Summilux does everything I want in a 25.
                  Ian from the Cotswolds
                  http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

                    Originally posted by Iansky View Post
                    I have to agree with Graham, the PanaLeica 25mm f1.4 is a stunningly sharp lens.

                    I am not bothered about the ianbility to reverse the lens shade (I keep mine attached when in the bag) as it would rquire a larger round shade rather than the nicely shaped one that comes with the lens.

                    I will be sticking with this lens and despite the new ones being a lot cheaper, I still find the Summilux does everything I want in a 25.
                    Ultimately, you get what you pay for.
                    John

                    "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

                      Another short review of the new Panasonic 25mm F1.7 with a little technical testing at this German site.
                      http://www.digitalkamera.de/Zubeh%C3...F1_7/9699.aspx

                      Google translation here...
                      https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...-text=&act=url
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

                        Originally posted by AMc View Post
                        Another short review of the new Panasonic 25mm F1.7 with a little technical testing at this German site.
                        http://www.digitalkamera.de/Zubeh%C3...F1_7/9699.aspx

                        Google translation here...
                        https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...-text=&act=url
                        The translation builds yours hopes up then dashes them at the end lol

                        "extraordinary magnification features can be the lens thus ascribe not."

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

                          Here is the ephotozine review
                          Iain

                          E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

                          Website
                          Flickr

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

                            Great thread, thanks. Helpful bits and pieces regarding both lenses.

                            As Christmas approaches and with the Olympus offer, I think a visit to SRS Watford is needed.
                            The review by Darren Miles helped too.
                            [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbq7Wc6Xfjk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbq7Wc6Xfjk[/ame]

                            Thanks again.

                            Regards. Barr1e
                            Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

                              Originally posted by IainMacD View Post
                              Here is the ephotozine review
                              That's a really positive review, the flare issue is a minor worry but I guess that's a reason to use the hood.
                              I think Father Christmas may have one in his bag for me - thanks for pointing out the review @IainMacD!
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: The enigma that is the 25mm

                                This is the price that the Oly 25mm should have been launched at. They look very similar lenses in terms of build, design and performance. I'm very happy with my Oly 25.
                                Paul
                                E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                                flickr
                                Portfolio Site
                                Instagram

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X