Sticking lens hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Sticking lens hood

It is becoming increasingly difficult to turn the lens hood on my ZD 12-60 SWD into and out of the 'locked' position. I've carefully cleaned the hood and the lens where these parts interact - but to no avail. There doesn't appear to be any distortion of the plastic in these areas.

Please can anyone recommend whether there is any kind of lubricant that improve this situation which will not cause any chemical or other damage?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Chris

Re: Sticking lens hood

You probably want a dry silicone lubricant, applied by first spraying onto a tissue then carefully wiping onto the hood's bayonet. Plenty available through Fleabay.
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

The best solution for sticking lens hoods IMHO is graphite, ie. soft pencil "lead".

Hope this helps.
      Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
      OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
      Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

I would go with Stephen; graphite can be abrasive and dusty and can leave black marks on your hands.
        Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
          The best solution for sticking lens hoods IMHO is graphite, ie. soft pencil "lead".

Hope this helps.
          That's my method & it works quite well (& long lasting).

Also, it is wise to deal with this ASAP as I have heard of the front being sheered off the 12-60 lens because of this. Mind you, the person it happened to must have been a little less than gentle in the process.
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I've used dry silicone spray as Stephen describes for years on my lens hood bayonets and the zoom barrels of all my lenses. It works a treat and I don't wish for anything better. I'd be prepared to bet that Olympus use a silicone treatment during assembly of their lenses - new lenses have the characteristic silky/slippery feel of silicone treated surfaces.

Jim

Comment

I've read that facial oils transferred to the interfacing parts can alleviate the situation.
              Steve

on flickr

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice - I'll get some dry silicone spray.
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                  Thanks to everyone for the advice - I'll get some dry silicone spray.
                  Don't forget to wipe the zoom barrel with a treated tissue. It will prevent sticking and damage to the rubber seal. It brings the zoom action back to new.

The water repellent properties of silicone also prevents capillary action allowing water to creep past the seal.

Jim

Comment

Jim,
                    Thanks. I've applied some dry silicone spray on a tissue and the lens hood locking/unlocking is now greatly improved.

In the process I found that the problem area wasn't the 'pegs' etc. on the bayonet - but actually on the inboard circular face of the lens hood where it butts up against the lens.
                    Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X