OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5

I don't have this lens but I sort of fancy getting one as they can be found at a reasonable price. Does anyone on this forum have one that they use with the E-3 and if you do what are the results like?
    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Re: OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5

Pretty good, especially if you get a later multicoated version.

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries...ry.php?cat=715

Andy
    Olympus E-30, E-M1 mk1&2 ZD 7-14 f4, PL 25 f1.4D
    mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 45 f1.8, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro, 300 f4 Pro
    MC-14, HLD-7, HLD-9
    Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)

Comment

It's not bad, mine's better when stopped down to f5.6. It also works well with the 1.4x-A and 2x-A OM tele-convertors for more reach.

It's my compact, lightweight telephoto but I must admit it doesn't get a lot of use as my OM Zuiko 350mm f2.8 is so good with an E-System body on the back.
      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Hi Dave,

Can't speak for the Oly lens but I do have a Nikon 300mm f4.5 which I used with a Nikon to 4/3 adapter. Results can be very good but it is prone to CA in high contrast light and you have to be really spot on with focus. At first I thought the lens was soft but, after getting a few sharp ones realised it was my focusing skills that were to blame. I don't use it much since I got the 70-300mm which is better optical quality and easier to use.

It is an early example of the Nikon lens and may well not be as optically good as the Zuiko, although it should be broadly similar to use. If you'd like to borrow it to see how you get on with manual focus with this type of lens before committing to buying the Zuiko send me a PM and I'll post it to you.

Here's a few examples I have in my gallery taken with this lens (I have others on the Four Thirds forum)

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Working...
        X