OM Exposure Compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OM Exposure Compensation

Having just tried my 50mm f1.8 OM lens on my E500, I find a bit of a problem with the exposure. I have to compensate by minus 1/3 stop for each stop decrease in aperture. Starting with -.3 stop at f1.8, I am at -2.3 stops by f16to maintain the same image brightness on the LCD screen on playback.
    I used aperture priority and centre weighted metering.

Is this normal and will I have to do it with any other lenses I acquire?

Re: OM Exposure Compensation

My 50mm f1.8 does the same thing. I have read on other forums that this is just the nature of the lens. Seems weird that the more you stop it down the brighter the picture gets. Go figure.
    You’ll take my E-5 when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Comment

I am tempted to say "beware the lcd screen..." because I think it could be misleading in this case.

I sometimes compensate for some of the legacy lenses I have tried, but never by anything like 2 stops!

The acid test is to shoot a range of images using aperture priority and no compensation at all the different f stops, then look at the files on the computer and see if they need compensation :-)

Its quite common for my wide aperture legacy lenses to produce dark images because they let image light into the camera all over the place (compared to the 4/3 sensor) so the meter thinks its a rather bright day.

Just my 2p :-)

Pete
      Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
        I am tempted to say "beware the lcd screen..." because I think it could be misleading in this case.

I sometimes compensate for some of the legacy lenses I have tried, but never by anything like 2 stops!

The acid test is to shoot a range of images using aperture priority and no compensation at all the different f stops, then look at the files on the computer and see if they need compensation :-)

Its quite common for my wide aperture legacy lenses to produce dark images because they let image light into the camera all over the place (compared to the 4/3 sensor) so the meter thinks its a rather bright day.

Just my 2p :-)

Pete

Tried what you suggested. Same results on my PC. From -0.3 to -2.3 stops compensation still needed.
        With spot metering it is worse from -1.0 wide open to +3.0 at f16. Evaluative metering seems to work best with a variation of only one full stop from zero compensation at f1.8 to +1.0 at f16. I'll stick with evaluative metering as it seems more forgiving.

Comment

Working...
        X