Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Another MC20 question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another MC20 question...

Whilst my bank balance won't stretch to a 300mm lens (yet) as it will work with the 40-150 pro at 2.8 making it 5.6 would it be worth it...giving me 300mm at the top end...or just keep saving??

Peter
    OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
    “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
    www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Re: Another MC20 question...

That's exactly what I've done. I'm very pleased with it although I've yet to really test it out at long distance shooting. Close -ups have come out great so far.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Purchasing the MC-2 for use with 40.150 Pro will give some experience of working at 300mm and help your decision later for purchasing the 300 pro.
      Just a thought

Comment

The MC 20 and 40-150 pairing seems to be what it’s designed for! It’s a very good pairing.

Keep saving and go for the 150-400 later!
        I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Walti
          That’s a really good point

Comment

To be honest although I'd like a 300mm lens I don't really think I actually need one...? mind you never say never
            As for the 150-400 well having looked at it at the NEC Photo Show I'm pretty sure it's going to be too big and heavy for me. Not to mention too expensive

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice...looks like I may be selling my MC14 then..

Peter
              OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
              “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
              www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
                Thanks for the help and advice...looks like I may be selling my MC14 then..

Peter
                I have the MC20 on order (downunder) but I won't be selling the MC14 though. There will be uses for both. With the 40-150 lens there is the possibility of that range at F2.8, 56-210mm at F4 & now 80-300mm at F5.6. I suspect I'll be leaving the MC20 on for any bird shots around at home for the most part, but there will be other cases when where I will want some reach but in lower light & there the MC14 may do OK.

Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Peter I've still got my MC-14 and currently plan to keep it as it's served me well so far. Jury's still out for me at the moment as I've yet to do any back to back 1.4x vs 2x close up resolution and minimum focus distance tests. If I can't tell any significant difference or if I end up just not using it then maybe I'll sell the 1.4x.

Comment

I wouldn’t rush into selling the MC14s yet as we’re currently seeing reasonable light, the MC20 is going to be a very different animal once the daylight has dropped to autumn and winter levels!
                    I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I've previously been photographing butterflies using my 40-150 f2.8, both with and without my MC-14.

The 40-150 has been really useful, avoiding the need to get really close up to skittish butterflies with my 60 f2.8 macro lens. Used with the MC14 and MC-20, I like being able to zoom out and back in again.

They've enabled me to get close enough for a shot when the subject has been inaccessible (local reserve wardens have been complaining about butterfly photographers trampling important plants!), or up in bushes.

My 300 f4 with MC-14 and MC-20 has proved great for getting shots from within the likes of thistle clumps, but locating the subject can be a PITA. Coping with shallow DoF by always positioning myself at 90 degrees to their wings is often impossible when the subject is so far away.

40-150 (at 150) + MC14 on EM5 Mk2 this morning in bright sunshine (wouldn't normally have bothered, but I wanted something for comparison). NB All images are uncropped. I've got some more 40-150 + MC-20 images from this morning and will add later this morning.

And a couple using 300 f4 + MC-20 on EM1 Mk2

Comment

Some more images taken this morning using 40-150 f2.8 (at 150) + MC-20 on EM5 Mk2.

Ringlet and Meadow Browns this time, all images uncropped.

Comment

Working...
                        X