MC-14 Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOLVED MC-14 Firmware

I was checking the firmware for my cameras and lenses and when I attached the MC-14 it didn't show in the updater software. Is this because it doesn't have firmware or do I have an electrical connection problem?
    I would be grateful if somebody could check their MC-14 to see if shows in the updater.
    Thanks for your help with this.
    Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
    Flickr

Re: MC-14 Firmware

Originally posted by IainMacD View Post
    I was checking the firmware for my cameras and lenses and when I attached the MC-14 it didn't show in the updater software. Is this because it doesn't have software or do I have an electrical connection problem?
    I would be grateful if somebody could check their MC-14 to see if shows in the updater.
    Thanks for your help with this.
    Just tried it attached to my 40-150mm and the MC-14 does not appear so I assume it has no firmware. All the updater shows are the lens and the body.
    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
      Just tried it attached to my 40-150mm and the MC-14 does not appear so I assume it has no firmware. All the updater shows are the lens and the body.
      Phew!

Thanks Dave
      Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
      Flickr

Comment

I don't know if this is relevant. When my 4/3 50mm is on the camera, and then I attach the x2 TC, the selected aperture displayed remains unchanged. This suggests that the presence of the TC is detect so as to open the diaphragm accordingly. The presence of the TC is not indicated directly.

Harold
        The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

The MC14 is a 'dumb' device (old computer terminology) & relies on the lens to report it in use.

The lens connections (40-150 in this case) has two extra contact pads as seen here.

The MC14 has one corresponding pin to connect to one of them & when the MC20 comes it will likely connect to the other pad, but if a third should come then it could use both pins as there is a total of three possible combinations with two connection points. Here is the photo of the MC14 showing that extra pin.

The Panasonic TCs also use this method but aren't compatible with Olympus as they have their extra contacts in a different position. Also there is that 'Made in China' channel area of the lens that the raised section of the TC next to that pin fits too.

As far as the 4/3's DSLR EC14, EC20 & EX25 goes, they are intelligent devices that do have firmware levels in them with all at 1.1 firmware.
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
          X