Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Warning - Fotga branded M42 to M4/3 adapter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning - Fotga branded M42 to M4/3 adapter.

Almost 2 years ago I bought a Fotga M42 to M4/3 adapter from a supplier in China with the expectation of being able to use a Pentax 50mm f1.4 lens on my E-M1.
    For various reasons I did not get the lens until quite recently and was disappointed to discover that the results were absolutely dreadful with very rapid and uneven resolution fall-off from the focus point.
    Fortunately I had, in the meantime, purchased a more expensive M42 to M4/3 adapter and when mounted on this the lens performed beautifully.
    After removing the silver M42 threaded ring from the Fotga adapter I measured the front-to-back depth of the cast 'tube' potion of the adapter and was horrified to discover a 0.85mm variation around the circumference! No wonder the images looked so awful. Had the front-to-back depth variation been just a couple of tenths of a mm I might have assumed it was a problem with the lens.
    It's possible this was a 'one-off' or a cheap copy of the genuine Fotga product (mine is clearly identified as "FOTGA M42-M4/3" with the words "DIGITAL ADAPTER" in very small type below the name Fotga), but I suggest that anyone that has a similar product (or any adapter or extension tubes) take very careful measurements before putting them into service.
Working...
X