New MC 20 announced.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New MC 20 announced.

MC-20 funny Bokeh? 300+MC-20 and ISO 640 F11 both frames uncropped.

Funny gridded lines on the left side.

And on the right side.

Can you see it? What is it? Any Ideas Welcome, could it be my expensive B+W filter!

Some sort of reflection off the inside of the lens hood or finishing marks on the MC-20 glass.

Seems very regular. Not noticed it before today. Answers on a postcard!
    Stuff from Cuba
    More stuff from Cuba
    It all started here

Comment

Years ago my son had a camera which showed similar artifacts shortly before the sensor died. Sure hope it is not that!

Comment

Originally posted by Miketoll View Post
        Years ago my son had a camera which showed similar artifacts shortly before the sensor died. Sure hope it is not that!

Still under warranty so not worried about that!
        Stuff from Cuba
        More stuff from Cuba
        It all started here

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post

And on the right side.

Can you see it? What is it? Any Ideas Welcome, could it be my expensive B+W filter!

Some sort of reflection off the inside of the lens hood or finishing marks on the MC-20 glass.

I can see it..

This reminds me of some odd artefacts I had with the bare 300mm F4 on some photos of a Bullfinch some months ago. It was in the out of focus background. It seems to be some lines around the bird if you look. You could be getting the same thing but more subtle with the TC? I don't know why it happens but I am thinking of it as like "isobars" of things that are in the same plane of "out of focus" if that makes any sense. I haven't seen any issues with my lens or camera in other photos. I was pretty sure this was not heat haze, although it was an unusually warm day for February in the UK.

Untitled by Bill Dennis, on Flickr
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/macg33zr/

Comment

The close focus definitely works!

NSFW?

Comment

Originally posted by BDennis View Post
              I can see it..

This reminds me of some odd artefacts I had with the bare 300mm F4 on some photos of a Bullfinch some months ago. It was in the out of focus background. It seems to be some lines around the bird if you look. You could be getting the same thing but more subtle with the TC? I don't know why it happens but I am thinking of it as like "isobars" of things that are in the same plane of "out of focus" if that makes any sense. I haven't seen any issues with my lens or camera in other photos. I was pretty sure this was not heat haze, although it was an unusually warm day for February in the UK.
              Is this some sort of defraction effect?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post

And on the right side.

Having analysed the shots again I can see that the effect is generated during the sharpening process. Not something I have seen before with any other lens combination using my normal workflow. I assume it is highlighting an underlying effect not seen under other circumstances. I have sent the files to Olympus to look at. It may be a PS aberration as it does not appear in the OOC jpeg.
                  Stuff from Cuba
                  More stuff from Cuba
                  It all started here

Comment

I've not seen any fringes like that yet Andrew. It will be interesting to see what Oly say about it. Anyway here's a butterfly shot I got using my 40-150 with the MC20. Not quite the resolution you got with the 300 but close. It was a raw file where I added my usual ~50% sharpening and ~20% luminance NR. Even at f8.0 the DoF was really shallow, bit too shallow for me actually. Iso 640 and at full 300mm, rotated 90 degrees and levels tweaked and vignette added in LR.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

I don't have the 300 F4 (yet) but I've placed an order for the MC20 (first lot of stock has sold out downunder) to go with my 40-150 lens. Hopefully the money spent will be worth it (AU$648). I got permission this time, not needing forgiveness.
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Hope you don't have to wait too long for it Ross. I'm certainly enjoying mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                          Hope you don't have to wait too long for it Ross. I'm certainly enjoying mine.
                          Some stock did come in early but the next lot is estimated to come in early August. One Western Australian supplier had one in stock but when I did the online check, later that day they replied that they had just sold the last one & at that time I hadn't put it to my wife so at least I have the (conceded) blessing from her this time. I can wait.

Ross
                          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I am considering the MC20 to go with my 40-150 but had a play with the same lens with the MC14 and the x2 DTC this morning. So an equivalent focal length of 420mm.
                            Alright it's a jpeg and I'd rather shoot Raw but none to shabby. Plus you don't lose those 2 stops

Hoverfly by Andrew Peter Martin, on Flickr

I find the DTC gives quite good result for closeups but not so good for things in the distance.

Think I'll hold off the purchase for this years bugs and see if the price drops next spring.
                            All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
                              if anybody wants to meet up mid/north Bucks and Oxon borders to check it out somewhere like a RSPB, BBOWT or BC reserve, I'd be happy to bring it along, together with my 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 (plus MC-14)

That offer still stands if anybody's interested (anything to get a break from refurbishing our 120 year old sash windows, replacing the back door plus garage doors, and wallpapering the stairwell, any assistance would be gratefully received).

Comment

I agree Andy the x2 DTC is very good I've used it quite a lot but don't forget you can still use it with the MC-20 as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X