MMF-1 to MMF-n pros and cons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMF-1 to MMF-n pros and cons.

Since the new firmware for the EM1 came out I have discovered the benefits of the 50-200 attached to the EM1 with an MMF-1 - I also have a MMF-3 which is attached to a 7-14.

I am extremely lazy and do not like shuffling lenses especially when intermediate adapters are involved eg the MMF-n and the 1.4 convertor

So the question is:

Does the MMF-3 have any structural advantages over the MMF-1 apart from the additional weatherproofing and colour.

If the MMF-3 is stronger I will switch it to the 50-200 and put the MMF-1 on the 7-14.

The firmware upgrade that has made the 4/3 lenses much more attractive on the M1 has partially defeated the weight reduction exercise that help me to sell the M1 concept.

Thanks for any comments
    This space for rent

Re: MMF-1 to MMF-n pros and cons.

I think the 3 is weatherproofed the 1 is not?
    Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
      Since the new firmware for the EM1 came out I have discovered the benefits of the 50-200 attached to the EM1 with an MMF-1 - I also have a MMF-3 which is attached to a 7-14.

I am extremely lazy and do not like shuffling lenses especially when intermediate adapters are involved eg the MMF-n and the 1.4 convertor

So the question is:

Does the MMF-3 have any structural advantages over the MMF-1 apart from the additional weatherproofing and colour.

If the MMF-3 is stronger I will switch it to the 50-200 and put the MMF-1 on the 7-14.

The firmware upgrade that has made the 4/3 lenses much more attractive on the M1 has partially defeated the weight reduction exercise that help me to sell the M1 concept.

Thanks for any comments
      Since you have both (adapters), which one is heavier?
      Ross
      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Probably no stronger than the MMF-2. Check the instructions, there should be a caution in there about supporting the lens. I saw on the web in small print something about that, and how if you don't it will leak. It says SHG lenses but the 50-200 is no light weight.

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/prod...r/mlenses/acc/

Comment

I weighed both the MMF-1 and the MMF-2 as well as the 7-14 and the 50-200mm lenses as well as the rest of the kit for comparative purposes

MMF-1 90g
          MMF-3 50g
          7-14mm 670g
          12-60mm 650g
          50-200mm 1125g
          12-40mm mft 450g
          75-300mm mft 510g

EM1 520g
          E5 920g

Weights are on kitchen scale accurate so please do not get your chemical balance out to compare the eights please <g> I know that the accurate data is on various web sites but seeing the scale spin round is rather salutary.
          This space for rent

Comment

I weighed both the MMF-1 and the MMF-2 as well as the 7-14 and the 50-200mm lenses as well as the rest of the kit for comparative purposes

MMF-1 90g
            MMF-3 50g
            7-14mm 670g
            12-60mm 650g
            50-200mm 1125g
            12-40mm mft 450g
            75-300mm mft 510g

EM1 520g
            E5 920g

Weights are on kitchen scale accurate so please do not get your chemical balance out to compare the eights please <g> I know that the accurate data is on various web sites but seeing the scale spin round is rather salutary.
            Sorry, I didn't need you to measure the weight of the lenses except to know which is heavier because the MMF-1 at 90gm indicates to me that it must be a metal body whereas the MMF-3 body is a type of plastic & thus lighter at 50gm. From that I would use the MMF-1 on the heavier lens as I have heard this before that it is less likely to fail from the weight of the lens & was desired by many for that reason. The mounting plates on the adapter rely on the mounting screws holding (& the material it's holding in) & I suspect the MMF-1 might withstand more punishment than the MMF-3 as this was discussed (in the forums) when the MMF-2 replaced the MMF-1.

Ross
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Hi Ross - all you did was to prompt me to take a "voyage of discovery" or pursuit of knowledge. So in that sense thank you. The weighing of the items did cause me to have a great internal debate of weight versus quality.

re metal or plastic - depending on the make up of the materials the less likely product could be the strongest. However I do not want to start a materials analysis debate.
              This space for rent

Comment

Hi Ross - all you did was to prompt me to take a "voyage of discovery" or pursuit of knowledge. So in that sense thank you. The weighing of the items did cause me to have a great internal debate of weight versus quality.

re metal or plastic - depending on the make up of the materials the less likely product could be the strongest. However I do not want to start a materials analysis debate.
                And to think about which lenses & kit to take on a particular excursion too perhaps? Apart from seeing what fits into a bag, I have to check the weight of things & make myself leave some stuff out that I know in reality I won't use.

Ross

Comment

There has been a lot said about the relative merits of the MMF-1/2/3. I have the 2 & 3 and find they do the job without any problem. I can only assume (and perhaps hope) that the designers compensated for the lighter, softer core material by using longer screws but I'm certainly not going to take them apart to find out. Interestingly, I also have the Viltrox JY43F (an early iteration) and it caused me nothing but trouble. To cut a long story short, once I got the MMF-2 and calipered it I discovered the JY34F was a full 1/2mm short! I suspect that it wouldn't be possible to take the MMF-2/3 apart as often as I've had the JY43F apart and back together again, and have them still survive.
                  Last edited by daved; 26th May 2014, 06:57 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

You have no concerns about the weight of the heavier lenses eg 7-14 and the 50-200 hanging from the camera body when the camera strap is around the neck and the camera only supported by the strap.?
                    This space for rent

Comment

No, because I trust the Oly engineers (am I right or wrong?). True, the lens dangles when the camera is around my neck, but a) I usually use the 50-200 for short periods and then remove it again - it is rarely around my neck and b) it is customary to support heavy lenses directly so whenever I hold the combo it is always by the lens.

Comment

See http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...light=70-300mm.
                        I might revise my policy of letting things dangle! However, we have seen a couple examples of m.Zuiko 12-40 lenses falling to bits but they seems to be as rare an occurrence as this example of an MMF-2 failing.... Maybe I'll just go back to using the 50-200mm on the E-30?!
                        Last edited by daved; 26th May 2014, 07:00 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by daved View Post
                          See http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...light=70-300mm.
                          I might revise my policy of letting things dangle! However, we have seen a couple examples of m.Zuiko 12-40 lenses falling to bits but they seems to be as rare an occurrence as this example of an MMF-2 failing.... Maybe I'll just go back to using the 50-200mm on the E-30?!
                          I wouldn't get overly concerned. Just don't go walking into walls without holding the lens as well.

If there was truly a concern you could always attach a small strap to the lens's tripod mount with a dog lead catch to attach to the camera's strap or tripod strap screw etc. & that would save the lens hitting the deck in such extreme circumstances.
                          Ross

Comment

Funny you should come up with that idea: I did exactly that last night - old nylon strap from a bag, about 1 inch wide, punch some holes through with a soldering iron. I attached one end to the tripod collar thumbscrew between a couple of thin washers and the other can be attached to the camera tripod mount using the most convenient hole and a spare 1/4" thumbscrew from an old flash bracket. The beauty of this system is that you can create a loop that shares the weight of the combo fairly evenly between the lens and the body.

Comment

Originally posted by daved View Post
                              Funny you should come up with that idea: I did exactly that last night - old nylon strap from a bag, about 1 inch wide, punch some holes through with a soldering iron. I attached one end to the tripod collar thumbscrew between a couple of thin washers and the other can be attached to the camera tripod mount using the most convenient hole and a spare 1/4" thumbscrew from an old flash bracket. The beauty of this system is that you can create a loop that shares the weight of the combo fairly evenly between the lens and the body.
                              I guess I first heard of the idea I suggested here in this thread.
                              Originally posted by peak4 View Post
                              Dis the adaptor fail, or did it just become detached from the camera?

I've had a problem with the Bigma/E-x combination, where when I carry the combo suspended from the lens strap, something catches the lens release button on the body just enough for the camera body to start rotating on the lens. Eventually they part company and I lose the body. I've now knocked up a safety strap to go from the body tripod mount with a clip on the end to attach it to the lens, so at least the body doesn't hit the floor.
                              Ross

Comment

Working...
                              X