Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Extension tube or telecoverter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension tube or telecoverter?

If you could buy (or have bought) either an extension tube or a teleconverter, which one and why?

My reason for asking is that I'm hoping to add one of these to my kit by the end of 2011, but can't decide which would be the best way of extending the range of my existing lenses - namely 14-42mm/40-150mm/70-300mm/35mm macro.
    Extension tube (EX-25)
    14.63%
    Teleconverter (EC-14 or EC-20)
    85.37%
    - my pictures -

Re: Extension tube or telecoverter?

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
    If you could buy (or have bought) either an extension tube or a teleconverter, which one and why?

My reason for asking is that I'm hoping to add one of these to my kit by the end of 2011, but can't decide which would be the best way of extending the range of my existing lenses - namely 14-42mm/40-150mm/70-300mm/35mm macro.
    The EX25 is a lot cheaper than the EC14 or EC20 & is only for allowing the particular lens to focus at a closer distance, increasing the maximum magnification because it is now closer & is used for macro or close photography. I bought the EX25 initially to use with whatever macro lens I might end up with next, but found it useful with the ZD70-300 lens (adding 15% magnification) in the mean time. It would be pointless with the ZD35 macro & much the same for the 14-42, however the 40-150 has some benefit. Here is the link for the 4/3s Lens Compatibility Tables but remember the focusing distance is from the camera sensor & not the working distance from the front of the lens http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/.../di004042e.cfm

I now use the EX25 with my Sigma 150 macro lens which increases its magnification by about 30-35%.

The ZD50 macro lens will give aprox. 1:1 (life size) with it, which can also be achieved with the EC20 although it affects the aperture more, but for macro use with sufficient light, it wouldn't matter.

The EC20 & EC14 is useful for adding more to a telephoto lens providing the lens has a large enough aperture to start with.

I hope that helps.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Re: Extension tube or teleconverter?

Remember that with a teleconverter you can use your lens within the same focus distance range as normal whereas the extension tube will ony allow you to use your lens at very short distances from the subject.
      Depends on what you intend to do, I use my EX25 when I only want to do macro but if I am out to photgraph birds or bugs I use the EC20 because of the full range of focussing. Also the EC20 does reduce the light available if and when you need to MF whereas the EX25 does not.

David
      PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

depends on what you want to do.........

I have them all, shoot a fair amount of macro, and actually use the EX25 the least.

With your lens range, and from what I know of what you shoot and where, I wouldn't get any of them - I would get a 50/2 or a 9-18
        E, Pen and OM-D bodies
        43 m43 and legacy glass
        loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

You need to know what you need. If you need to get closer to your subject then get the extension tubes, if you want a longer focal range, get the teleconverters, easy as that

Comment

Thanks everybody. You've all hit the proverbial nail on the head.
            Originally posted by philippsfrt View Post
            You need to know what you need. If you need to get closer to your subject then get the extension tubes, if you want a longer focal range, get the teleconverters, easy as that
            That's the problem really, the aim is to be able to capture more fine detail or bring distant objects closer, so I'm confident that both would be very useful additions to my kit bag.

I haven't got any 'top glass', so the EC20 would be a waste of a lot of money. I think the EC14 might extend my 35mm macro to almost 50mm ... I think ... but whether it would be much use on the 70-300mm on a dull day, or in woodland, is another matter.

Has anybody used an extension tube on the 70-300mm lens? If so, what happens? Physics was never my strong point

Originally posted by photo_owl
            With your lens range, and from what I know of what you shoot and where, I wouldn't get any of them - I would get a 50/2 or a 9-18
            Now that's a whole new ball game! I was actually hoping to get a Sigma 105mm, but the seller seems to have disappeared.
            - my pictures -

Comment

you will be up around F8 wide open with the EC14 on the 70-300 long end.

so that's 300 x 1.4 = 420 x 2 = 840mm eq fl requiring a min 1/800th and 1/1000th for preference (tripods and IS will help but bear with me....

how often do you get 1/1000th at F8 with an acceptable ISO when shooting? Easy enough to try it - set your camera to M, dial them in with Auto ISO and see what you end up with after a days shooting
              E, Pen and OM-D bodies
              43 m43 and legacy glass
              loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Has anybody used an extension tube on the 70-300mm lens? If so, what happens? Physics was never my strong point
                Yes I have used the EX25 on the ZD70-300 lens with 32% increase in magnification. Here is the details from the Compatability Tables:

ZUIKO DIGITAL
                ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 - 300mm (@ max zoom) - MF - 90.8 ~ 422.1cm (focus range) - 0.09 ~ 0.66x (magnification)

This means it goes up to 0.66 life size image when the lens is zoomed out to 300mm & at maximum focus using MF (manual focus so lens is extended to maximum) or 2/3s life size (remember a true macro lens is life size) at a distance of 90.8cm (from sensor of camera) to the subject. This gives you about 2 feet (roughly) working distance from the front of the lens (or hood). When the extension tube is on, you are also restricted as to how far you can focus, which is just over 4m away. It can be frustrating while chasing bugs, bees, flies etc when a bird comes near (but not near enough) & you can't focus on it. The EX25 is a worthwhile addition to the ZD70-300 lens for closeup work so long as you get it for a good price. It was about 2/3s the normal price for me to get it from Hong Kong into Australia.

To sum up, using the EX25 with this lens, it allows you to focus 5.2cm closer than before which doesn't seem much, but that increases the maximum magnification from half life size to 2/3s life size which is a useful increase.

I'm sorry if I have overdone the explanation, I just wanted to make sure you understood the use of that combination.
                Ross
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
                  you will be up around F8 wide open with the EC14 on the 70-300 long end. So that's 300 x 1.4 = 420 x 2 = 840mm eq fl requiring a min 1/800th and 1/1000th for preference .... how often do you get 1/1000th at F8 with an acceptable ISO when shooting?
                  In anything other than bright sunlight I'd say never.

Food for thought, thanks.
                  Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                  Yes I have used the EX25 on the ZD70-300 lens with 32% increase in magnification. ...... To sum up, using the EX25 with this lens, it allows you to focus 5.2cm closer than before which doesn't seem much, but that increases the maximum magnification from half life size to 2/3s life size which is a useful increase.

I'm sorry if I have overdone the explanation, I just wanted to make sure you understood the use of that combination.
                  No, you haven't overdone anything, thanks for taking the time.

Do you, by any chance, have any pictures taken with that combination?

It looks as if neither it nor the extension tube nor the teleconverter will add to the range (distance) except for on a lovely sunny day. .. Or did I get it wrong?
                  It was about 2/3s the normal price for me to get it from Hong Kong into Australia.
                  We get hammered for import duties plus tax, then the Post Office also adds a handling fee, so that option isn't necessarily a good one, unless it's really, really, cheap.
                  - my pictures -

Comment

Here are a couple of uncropped examples of the 70-300 & EX25 used on my E520.
                    PA197251s.jpg

PA207279s.jpg

They are just first tials I did with that lens combination, but I hankered after a macro lens & haven't got a great many photos with the above combo.

Clicking on the thumbnail & then the slide show picture will allow saving for checking in Olympus Viewer 2 if curious about settings & Olympus basic info.

Hope that helps.
                    Ross

Comment

EC14 you will never regret it and if you buy anything else you will end up buying an EC14 in the end!
                      Barrie Norman

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

http://naturalhistorycambs.blogspot.com/

Digital Equipment: Olympus E1 - E30 - E-500 | EC-14 & EC-20 Teleconverter | Zukio 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 150mm F/2, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm | Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 SLD, 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, 150 F2.8 Macro & 50-500mm (Bigma) |Tamron 135mm f/2.5 Macro 200mm f/3.5 | Optecka 800mm f/8 Prime | Wallimax 500mm F/6.3 Mirror Lens | Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-4 O Digital Flash | Manfrotto 055XB Tripod, Opticron Carbon Fibre "Traveller" Tripod, Sidewinder Gimbal Head, Manfratto 676B monopod, Manfrotto 322RC2 Head Lowpro Nature Trekker AWII, Lowpro Vertex 100 AW and Lowpro Toploader Pro 75 AW.

Comment

Whenever I've put my EX25 extension tube on, I've missed shots that were too far away! For that reason I don't use it now.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                          ... Clicking on the thumbnail & then the slide show picture will allow saving for checking in Olympus Viewer 2 if curious about settings & Olympus basic info
                          I can't get it to work.

@ Jim and Barry - thanks.

Maybe I should have added a simply poll too, but I'm not sure how to.

Edit
                          ... Yay! I've added a poll!
                          Last edited by Ellie; 18th January 2011, 09:47 PM. Reason: added a poll
                          - my pictures -

Comment

I think you are probably better off getting the EC14 out of the three (ext tube or multipiers) as I still want the EC14 & 20 to go in my kit, but then again, I still want the 50-200 SWD & 9-18 lenses too.
                            Ross

Comment

It has to be the EC14.. Extension tubes only have one use, but the teleconverter adds reach to all your lenses. I had one and used it on the 11-22 (!) the 14-54 and the 40-150 and it was great on all these.

I wonder how wise it would be to use it on the 70-300 unless you have a load of light.

One thing I can promise, the EC14 won't make the images worse. I don't know how it acomplishes this - it must use magic.

Pete
                              Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X