• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympus/Zuiko 70 to 300mm

Re: Olympus/Zuiko 70 to 300mm

Always been a bit confused about extension tubes but

1) I don't think they effectively double the focal length

but

2) they do reduce the minimum focussing distance - thus making things bigger because they are closer,

I've always understood this comes at the expense of being able to focus at far away objects.

So I'm not sure they will make a usable 'long' lens out of the 70-300.

Come the morning I'm sure Ian or another 'grown up' photographer will clarify, but I wouldn't push one-click ordering till then.

Nick
    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Hi Paul

I'm afraid it doesn't quite work that way. To get double the focal length with all the trimmings, you will need the EC20, not the EX25. The EC20 is a x2 converter and will make your 70-300mm effectively operate as a 140-600mm.

I must add though, that the 70-300 is not the fastest lens in the world, and though I swear by it, and have achieved decent results with it, it is not the best lens upon which to use the EC20. I wouldn't use it with this, as you'll lose two full stops of light.

I use the EC14, a x1.4 teleconverter with this lens, making it a super 98-420mm lens.

Unfortunately, there's no cheap way to get a decent lens, at 600mm...!
      John

Comment

Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

I had a 500mm mirror lens many years ago, and never got one decent picture from it! A few arguments against then...

1. They are generally too long for working hand-held despite being compact and light which tempts you to do it!
          2. Fixed aperture (usually f/8 or nothing!)
          3. Low contrast - not too sure about this in general but mine was hopeless
          4. Doughnut-shaped out of focus highlights (not necessarily a problem, maybe a mater of taste)
          5. Using filters is difficult

Eventually I traded mine in for a wide-angle lens!

Also beware 2x converters - even the Oly one. You will lose two full stops of effective aperture. With a 1.4x you only lose one stop.
          Steve
          My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

Comment

My experience with old 35mm lenses is that whilst they may be reasonably sharp, the contrast is lower than the digital Zuikos.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
                Always been a bit confused about extension tubes but

1) I don't think they effectively double the focal length

but

2) they do reduce the minimum focussing distance - thus making things bigger because they are closer,

I've always understood this comes at the expense of being able to focus at far away objects.

So I'm not sure they will make a usable 'long' lens out of the 70-300.

Come the morning I'm sure Ian or another 'grown up' photographer will clarify, but I wouldn't push one-click ordering till then.

Nick
                A big thanks for the reply Nick.
                Again i checked the write up on Amazon, and it seems you are correct in what you say.
                It states that it doubles the magnification, and not the focal length of the lens, how this would effect objects in the distance i am not sure, but as you say the members in the know will eventually give us an answer.

Best regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                  Hi Paul

I'm afraid it doesn't quite work that way. To get double the focal length with all the trimmings, you will need the EC20, not the EX25. The EC20 is a x2 converter and will make your 70-300mm effectively operate as a 140-600mm.

I must add though, that the 70-300 is not the fastest lens in the world, and though I swear by it, and have achieved decent results with it, it is not the best lens upon which to use the EC20. I wouldn't use it with this, as you'll lose two full stops of light.

I use the EC14, a x1.4 teleconverter with this lens, making it a super 98-420mm lens.

Unfortunately, there's no cheap way to get a decent lens, at 600mm...!

Thanks John for the info.
                  I will have a good look around for that EC14 that you suggested as the size it converts the lens to 98-420 is plenty big enough for what i want.
                  All i want it for is local wildlife in and around our parks, Deer, squirrels, birds, etc, and i don't want to spend extortionate amounts of money for a large lens, this will work for me.

Best regards Paul

Comment

I thank you Pete for your reply to this thread.

I can imaging that the expensive equipment is in general built to a high quality standard, you only get what you pay for.
                    There is a saying that goes "buy cheap, buy twice", and that goes for almost every product, so i will play the waiting game and get the best i can possibly afford.

Best regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by steverh View Post
                      I had a 500mm mirror lens many years ago, and never got one decent picture from it! A few arguments against then...

1. They are generally too long for working hand-held despite being compact and light which tempts you to do it!
                      2. Fixed aperture (usually f/8 or nothing!)
                      3. Low contrast - not too sure about this in general but mine was hopeless
                      4. Doughnut-shaped out of focus highlights (not necessarily a problem, maybe a mater of taste)
                      5. Using filters is difficult

Eventually I traded mine in for a wide-angle lens!

Also beware 2x converters - even the Oly one. You will lose two full stops of effective aperture. With a 1.4x you only lose one stop.

Thanks Steve, i will bear this in mind when choosing any equipment i buy, but the mirror lens is definitely a no go, to many bad reports to take a chance on maybe getting a good one, not only that i find with my arthritis in my hands manual focusing would be rather tricky for me.
                      So i am going to stick to what i have been advised to stick to, and not deviate from the plan!.

Best regards Paul

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                          My experience with old 35mm lenses is that whilst they may be reasonably sharp, the contrast is lower than the digital Zuikos.

Jim

Thanks for your input Jim.
                          i want to steer clear of OM lens as they are manual focus, but it has to be a digital lens for me.

Best regards Paul

Comment

Sounds like it was a Sigma 55-200, which is not a lens I'd recommend.

Ian
                            Founder and editor of:
                            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Ian.
                              Is there any particular reason that this lens is not that good ?, i would be interested to find out!.
                              Now that you have said its a bit iffy, i am glad i did not get it or it would have been a total waste of money.

Best regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X