Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Hand Lenses

Hi All

Can anyone help me please. Roughly, how much would be the going price for a second hand 11-22 f2.8 Oly lens.

I'm currently looking around for one, having been persuaded that its better to have the couple of extra f-stops than a couple of extra mm.

I've seen a few of these lenses around, but I want to make sure I dont end up paying too much.

Many thanks
    Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!

Re: Second Hand Lenses

Average the price of the ones you have seen already.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy View Post
      Hi All

Can anyone help me please. Roughly, how much would be the going price for a second hand 11-22 f2.8 Oly lens.

I'm currently looking around for one, having been persuaded that its better to have the couple of extra f-stops than a couple of extra mm.

I've seen a few of these lenses around, but I want to make sure I dont end up paying too much.

Many thanks
      Good that you're looking around for the 11-22mm lens as it is a super piece of glass. However, please don't dismiss the 9-18mm as this too is a superb lens. I was kindly loaned the lens by a good friend off here a few weeks ago and I found it excellent and even though I have the 11-22mm, I now know what my next lens purchase will be (unless I win a small amount on the lotto tomorrow when I would then - without a shadow of a doubt - buy the absolutely stunning, awesome kit that is... the Oly 7-14mm)
      John

Comment

Thanks for your reply MusicMan.
        I have been going over this time and time again in my head. Part of me wants to go as wide as I can (within a reasonable budget), but the other part of me wants a quality lens I can grow into. I've been going back and forth between the 9-18 and the 11-22 for the past month now, and I've heard and read so much good stuff about the 11-22, but very little (good or bad) about the 9-18.

So am I heading down the wrong route?

Many thanks
        Tracey Jones

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy View Post
          So am I heading down the wrong route?

Many thanks
          No probs at all Tracey, glad to help.

It's really up to you. I can advise though that both the 11-22mm and 9-18mm are wonderful lenses. If you're interested I am happy to dig out a few pics taken with each lens and offer them here for your comparison.

When I used the 9-18mm I noticed no significant distortion at all, and I was seriously impressed with the glass, and I mean... seriously impressed.

The 11-22mm is one of Oly's mid-range series of lenses and so one can expect it to perform at a higher level - I love the 11-22mm, but I love the 7-14mm a lot more.

I'd suggest making a decision based on what it is you want to take shots of. Personally... if it is 'the wider the better', then the 9-18mm will be your choice, if it is a faster lens, then the 11-22mm is your choice. My personal opinion is (and others far more qualified that I on here can correct me if I am wrong) that the faster lens doesn't give you as much advantage as the extra mm on field of view, as one tends to use wides for wide stuff and as such - close focusing, or low light apertures are not usually the arena for such lenses. If you want to take low light shots with a wide angle, then simply use a tripod. The only other benefit of faster glass is depth of field, of which is significantly huge on wider lenses anyway.

Having said that, the 11-22mm is quality glass.

Hmmmm.... don't think I've made it any easier for you have I...? if you would like to see some comparison shots, shout.
          John

Comment

Comment

hand held, 11mm, f2.8, ISO 1600
              if you want to do stuff like that then the 11-22 works nicely
              chris
              shetland

Comment

MusicMan,
                I'd love to see some comparison shots please.

My main aim with this is to do landscapes and photos like the one I have attached/linked (taken with my 17-45 kit lens, which is nowhere near wide enough to capture the whole building) Flying Horse Pub

Of course there will be the occasional sunset, but like I say, theres been way too many times that I've not had enough "wide" to take the shot I want.

Also, we are hoping to take a trip to New York later this year, and I want to make sure I have the lenses so I can photograph "everything"
                Tracey Jones

Comment

Here is a shot I took at Stourhead gardens using the E-1 and the 11-22mm lens (at 17mm):

Steve
                  Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                  Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                  My website

Comment

Wide
                    the 11-22 has a 90 degree field of view at the 11mm end.
                    it appears very well corrected so that if you keep it level you do not have to do any perspective changes in PP

One thought: do you have an Oly dealer you can get to? If so go and try them out
                    chris
                    shetland

Comment

Hi Chrimbo

We have 2 "local" camera stores, but both lenses are special order through them, which is why I'd love to see some comparision shots from the people here (That and everyone here is a much better photographer than I am )
                      Tracey Jones

Comment

wide enough?
                        chris
                        shetland

Comment

Jonesy here are 3 shots, all taken with my 7-14mm that show you the diference between the 7-14mm, the 9-18mm and the 11-22mm.
                          The building to the left is the reference point and the right side shows you how far the angle will go.

The 9-18mm will give you these results, the 11-22mm (that I have) too.

at 7mm

at 9mm

at 11mm

I hope this helps a bit.

Peter

Comment

Thanks for the samples Archphoto. Seems like that 2mm can make a big difference. Now this doesnt make my choice any easier to make... Looks like I'm going to have to think about this some more.
                            Tracey Jones

Comment

Tracey, the 11-22mm lens is very good and is the only zoom I own, not being a long lens user and having sold my kit lenses. My daughter gets married in two weeks time and it will be the 11-22 lens I'll be using for my personal shots. I used to be a wedding photographer some years back and used medium format back then, but I'm more than happy to use the 11-22 as I know the shots will be upto scratch.
                              That said, there is a possibility that mine will be up for sale afterwards as I tend to shoot more with my rangefinder cameras and I'm considering going over to them completely.

Comment

Working...
                              X