Lumix 14-150 meets the digital dinosaur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumix 14-150 meets the digital dinosaur

Following on from Phill's recent thread, a quick post from me after my first try with the Lumix 14-150 on my E-1 this afternoon. The photos are nothing special but a nice reminder about how nice colour can be from the E-1, and I'm impressed at how sharp this lens is even wide open at longer lengths and the IS definitely helps at longer lengths with the E-1. These were all shot raw and required only minimal processing (often the case with the E-1). Ignore the vignetting...I added that!

First one is 133mm at f5.6:

Next is 59mm at f7.1:

101mm f6.3:

150mm f7.1 (the E-1 is great for monochrome too):

This isn't the only 'new' present I bought the E-1 recently. I've also picked up a 25mm f.28 Zuiko pancake lens which is a great walkabout, although optically I'm not sure it's any better than the zooms. Nice to use something so tiny though:

Now I do think this car would go very nicely with my E-1.... a lovely old XK150:

Hopefully more to come soon - this is the kit I'm taking to Bruges in a couple of days time.

Cheers,

Jon
    thephotographersblock.wordpress.com

Re: Lumix 14-150 meets the digital dinosaur

Nice series.
    * Henry
    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Yes nice images Jon glad it's working well for you. Nothing like showing the images large to show them off
      The lens was one of the key reasons I went with Olympus with my original E510. When I was researching which dslr to get upgrading from a bridge camera I saw the adverts for the upcoming Leica branded zoom lens. So the thought of having a dslr with Leica quality and the versatility of a bridge camera was the holy grail for me. I got the E510 but was really disappointed that when the Leica was available it was way over my funding limit However I was enjoying the 510 so no biggie. Eventually after quite a while I saved up and grabbed the lens second hand from Harrisons in Sheffield. It was a good price but still by far the most I'd ever paid for a lens so a bit nervous until I started using it. Then all my concerns disappeared and even images that were just ordinary snaps were starting to be nice to look at. There was just something about the look, micro contrast, colour rendition, maybe it was in my mind because I'd paid so much for it? I don't know but photography got a lot more fun after getting that lens. Having people stop and say "what have you got on the front of that" in shops occasionally added to it too. That Leica name does get noticed. For me I felt it gave me the quality of prime lenses in a compact zoom lens and I was confident that if I got a bad shot it wasn't the fault of the kit I was using.
      So, really glad you are getting to grips with it Jon and I suspect you will have great fun in Bruges with it on your E1. Don't forget it works fine on micro 4/3s kit too
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

I hadn't noticed those Graham, most odd but as you say quite pleasing. Never seen that on any of mine previously. Any clues to its origin?
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Nice colours as you say. Like the cow and the car.
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
              I hadn't noticed those Graham, most odd but as you say quite pleasing. Never seen that on any of mine previously. Any clues to its origin?
              My guess would be the way the interpolation of unique colours, are determined, by the algorithms. In the early days, of firmware, such routines were structured to process data sequentially, line by line, for speed, but used other techniques to take account of the data in the proximity to each data point.

There have been so many developments in these techniques, which now include "AI Learning" to tweek the systems to produce the end results.

In a way it's a lot like the development of film emulsions, that rendered an image with a certain "look".

It all comes down to personal preference, as with so many things in life.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Regards,
                Mark

------------------------------
                http://www.microcontrast.com
                Too much Oly gear.
                Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Working...
                X