Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

No panning Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No panning Mode

I was just wondering why Olympus lenses don't have a panning mode ,I use ibis all the time with my 300 pro for BIF and don't see a problem when panning .
    That said with My canon gear its recommended to turn horizontal IS off when panning .
    So does the Olympus know and allow for it ?

Rob.

Re: No panning Mode

I would have thought for any panning or intentional camera movement would require the IBIS to be turned off. They would work against each other logically......
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

That is a good question Rob. According to the manual for the 300mm f4, when image stabilization is switched On 'the IS operates according to the IS setting in the camera'. The camera IBIS can be set to S-IS2 which 'applies only to vertical camera shake'. So in theory it sounds as if it should work. Whether that is better than switching stabilization off for panning, I don't know.

Ron

Comment

Image stabilization is one of things Olympus do very well. They have thought about panning, check out the IS settings:

S-IS2 Vertical Shake Image stabilization
        S-IS3 Horizontal Shake Image stabilization
        S-IS AUTO The camera detects the panning direction and applies the appropriate image stabilization

Comment

Thanks for reply's ,I just checked and have S-IS auto set so I think it must be taking care of itself while taking BIF , as most birds fly across towards and up and down all at the same time .
          I do like to keep IS on because it helps keeping the bird in the view finder so a little easier to follow .

Rob.

Comment

Regards,
            Mark

------------------------------
            http://www.microcontrast.com
            Too much Oly gear.
            Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
            Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Working...
            X