• New lenses coming

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-leaked-...-2-pro-lenses/
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Re: New lenses coming

Are these going to significantly better than the 12-40mm Pro?

As I have the latter, I won't be investing. I'm out.

(Where have I heard that before???)

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
      Are these going to significantly better than the 12-40mm Pro?
      Well, last time I looked the 12-40 didn't offer f1.2 ! That's the only reason why you'd want to buy them I don't really need them, but I find the 17/1.8 my most used lens and it would be nice to have a bit shallower DOF. I had the CV 17.5 f0.95 for a little while and really liked the results, but found that the lack of AF and manual aperture was a pain. It will be interesting to see how this new Oly lens compares. The 45 doesn't interest me as much. I find the 45/1.8 plenty good enough.
      Paul
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Lots of money I expect certainly out of my league.
        I'm sure they'll be lovely and I'll see lots of shots promoted by Olympus using the E-M1 ii and these on their social media and magazine marketting channels.
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Just over the 1K mark I would guess like the 25mm.

A pro macro lens would be of more interest to me.

The thought of carrying lots of bulky prime lenses kind of defeats the low weight advantage of micro four-thirds.

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            Well, last time I looked the 12-40 didn't offer f1.2 ! That's the only reason why you'd want to buy them .
            Yes accepted..................

But is that one stop a huge advantage? One stop slower shutter speed or one stop higher ISO....Unless the quality is that much better than the 12-40 pro

I know there will be circumstances where this one stop will be good, but not for me. I'm out

Mark j
            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I love the 25mm f/1.2, it really suits a lot of the small gig work I do. I'm sure the matching 17 and 45 will be gorgeous as well, but I hope to avoid temptation!

John

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                Yes accepted..................

But is that one stop a huge advantage? One stop slower shutter speed or one stop higher ISO....Unless the quality is that much better than the 12-40 pro

I know there will be circumstances where this one stop will be good, but not for me. I'm out

Mark j
                F2.8 to f1.2 is 2.5 stops isn't it?
                Paul
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
                  I love the 25mm f/1.2, it really suits a lot of the small gig work I do. I'm sure the matching 17 and 45 will be gorgeous as well, but I hope to avoid temptation!

John
                  I took a look at the samples gallery for the 25/1.2 on mu43.com and I must say it does have a very nice in-focus to out-of-focus transition. I Ike the images it produces.
                  Paul
                  flickr
                  Portfolio Site
                  Instagram

Comment

F2.8 to f1.2 is 2.5 stops isn't it?
                    You know better than me I guess.

Is it not one stop?? What are the values of the 5 then?

Not at all sure how the "stops" are valued, logarithmic or straight line??

Educate me...

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Hi Paul,

Hope you are OK with my questions re this thread.

I obviously need to be educated re stop values.

I always imagined they were arithmetical, ie 5.6 is half of 2.8, and thus 1.2 is slightly less than half of 2.8.

Be a good topic for a thread, as it will allow us mortals to evaluate a lens and its true speed...........

Great phots in your last thread..........

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I'm more interested in the rumoured Panasonic high end mFT body for photo enthusiasts.

It will be interesting to see what Panasonic think serious photographers want in a body. I will either be laughing at it or abandoning Olympus.
                        It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                          I'm more interested in the rumoured Panasonic high end mFT body for photo enthusiasts.

It will be interesting to see what Panasonic think serious photographers want in a body. I will either be laughing at it or abandoning Olympus.
                          I've not heard that rumour David. I wonder what they have in mind. For me it would be something with a serious step up in sensor performance:

- BSI for improved higher ISO performance
                          - Lower native ISO (ideally 64)
                          - Global shutter (fast readout time electronic shutter)

Of course, that's me as a mainly landscape/cityscape guy. The BIF or sports guys would probably want improved AF on the list.

My suspicion though is that they'll do none of these things. The GH5 is already an excellent video and stills camera and the G80 a superb slightly cheaper version!
                          Paul
                          flickr
                          Portfolio Site
                          Instagram

Comment

I've not heard that rumour David. I wonder what they have in mind. For me it would be something with a serious step up in sensor performance:

- BSI for improved higher ISO performance
                            - Lower native ISO (ideally 64)
                            - Global shutter (fast readout time electronic shutter)

Of course, that's me as a mainly landscape/cityscape guy. The BIF or sports guys would probably want improved AF on the list.

My suspicion though is that they'll do none of these things. The GH5 is already an excellent video and stills camera and the G80 a superb slightly cheaper version!
                            There's a lot of speculation but there's a Panasonic announcement scheduled for some time in early November. As I said, it will be interesting to see what Panasonic think photo enthusiasts want in a camera.
                            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

A quick Google reveals that the GX9 might be launched next month. That's believable. I expect the same 20Mp sensor in a similar body but with the IBIS and shutter from the GX89/85. Maybe a few of the video features from the GH5 too. Nothing overall that would pull me away from Olympus - although I do think such a body would give the Pen F a run for its money.
                              Paul
                              flickr
                              Portfolio Site
                              Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X