PanLeica lens logo (lack of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PanLeica lens logo (lack of)

Carl Zeiss have their blue & white logo stamped on all the Sony-Zeiss lenses, even on bridge cameras. Why don't Leica do the same and place their red & white logo on PanLeica lenses? I know it won't make a difference in its performance but let's face it.....most of us like to show off a bit.....

Re: PanLeica lens logo (lack of)

Simply because Panny-Leica isn't Leica. The optical design is aided by Leica but manufactured in the Far East in volume. Panasonic will probably pay Leica a royalty to use their optics design, together wth the apparent kudos attached to the their name.
    Steve

on flickr

Comment

In that case, are Sony-Zeiss lenses manufactured by Carl Zeiss in Germany?

Comment

No- they are manufactured by Sony in Japan. But they are inhumanly good lenses, I use them regularly on my A7 setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
          Carl Zeiss have their blue & white logo stamped on all the Sony-Zeiss lenses, even on bridge cameras. Why don't Leica do the same and place their red & white logo on PanLeica lenses? I know it won't make a difference in its performance but let's face it.....most of us like to show off a bit.....
          From what I have read on the internet Panasonic have a relationship/partnership with Leica which involves different levels of involvement by Leica in different grades of lenses. Panasonic have their own lens designers as well as access to Leica designers.

For "lower" grade lenses eg on compact/ P&S cameras etc they use their own designs but manufacture them using Leica supplied lens manufacturing machinery and are entitled to brand them as "Panasonic Leica" products.

For "higher grade" lenses I believe they either design jointly with Leica or use Leica designs. Interestingly this seems to work two ways. I recall reading a report on an industry award for a new Leica lens (for Leica cameras) which cited two designers for the lens one of whom was a Leica employee and the other a Panasonic employee.

So, I believe the Panasonic Leica branding indicates an involvement of Leica in the particular product but that Leica reserve use of their logo for their own products.

Sony/Zeis may just have a different form of co-operation/marketing agreement.

Regards.
          Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
          OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
          Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

It saves having to tape the logo over.
            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
              I believe the Panasonic Leica branding indicates an involvement of Leica in the particular product but that Leica reserve use of their logo for their own products.

Sony/Zeis may just have a different form of co-operation/marketing agreement.

Regards.
              Based on that I am wondering if the real reason is that unlike Leica, Carl Zeiss do not make their own cameras at present. Therefore, they have to advertise their logo on their only hands-on photographic equipment - lenses. Leica on the other hand might be reserving their logo for their own cameras and lenses....like you said.

Comment

Working...
              X