Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tempted by the Olympus 12-100mm

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
    Of course, the full-frame DSLR brigade will laugh out loud and tell us it's impossible to take a decent photograph with such a beast that only goes to f4, which is equivalent to f8... blah... blah...
    Only relevant for Depth Of Field. IMO, with the obvious exception of portraiture (for which Olympus have the superb 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8), the longer DoF with the MFT system is more of an advantage than the other way round IMO, especially with landscape photography for which your 12-100mm f4 is ideally suited. The MFT system also allows longer focal lengths to be used handheld and even in low light. Look back at the night picture of the Tower Bridge that someone here (I think it was pdk42) took handheld last year using the Olympus 75mm f1.8. I doubt if any FF system could reproduce that without a tripod.

Comment

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
      Only relevant for Depth Of Field. IMO, with the obvious exception of portraiture (for which Olympus have the superb 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8), the longer DoF with the MFT system is more of an advantage than the other way round IMO, especially with landscape photography for which your 12-100mm f4 is ideally suited. The MFT system also allows longer focal lengths to be used handheld and even in low light. Look back at the night picture of the Tower Bridge that someone here (I think it was pdk42) took handheld last year using the Olympus 75mm f1.8. I doubt if any FF system could reproduce that without a tripod.
      Yes, Tower of London. 75mm f1.8. 1/8s at f1.8 ISO 200.

Tower of London by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
      Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Perhaps we should call it the Full Frame Neurosis?
        Regards,
        Mark

------------------------------
        http://www.microcontrast.com
        Too much Oly gear.
        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Maybe the 17 mm f/1.8? here this time last year, though it was taken October 2015
          Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
          Capture One Pro
          My flickr

Comment

BTW I'm looking forward to the 17mm f1.2, which I think is on the lens roadmap. My A7Rii has given me something of a liking for narrow depth of field in some of my street shots, and that should deliver enough, without being ridiculous.
            Regards,
            Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
              Maybe the 17 mm f/1.8? here this time last year, though it was taken October 2015
              That's a superb picture too but the one that I am talking about was at a more acute angle taken from the Tower side of the bridge. It was definitely with the 75mm f1.8 if my memory serves me right. I'll try to find it.

Comment

That's a superb picture too but the one that I am talking about was at a more acute angle taken from the Tower side of the bridge. It was definitely with the 75mm f1.8 if my memory serves me right. I'll try to find it.
                Maybe one of these? First is with the 17 at f8, second with the 12 at f16. Latter stopped down so much in an attempt to get some starbursts. Neither the 75, but both handheld in any case.

Tower Bridge by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Tower Bridge by Paul Kaye, on Flickr[/QUOTE]
                Paul
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

Another stonking review for the 12-100:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lens...tal-ed/review/

Mine's coming with me to the Brecon Beacons for a hiking weekend in a few days: should be ideal :-)
                  Regards,
                  Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
                    Another stonking review for the 12-100:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lens...tal-ed/review/

Mine's coming with me to the Brecon Beacons for a hiking weekend in a few days: should be ideal :-)

It is quite an astonishing lens. Certainly the best zoom lens I've ever used from any manufacturer. Paired with the MkII and Sync IS it's the perfect travel amd landscape lens. I've now got my Billingham Hadley Small bag configured for landscape with:

- Panasonic 7-14 on the left bottom
                    - Samyang 7.5mm on the left top
                    - Oly 12-100 on the right
                    - E-M1ii with the 17/1.8 fitted (for low light shooting if the need arises) in the centre

Fantastic kit covering fisheye through UWA to 200mm effective telephoto and a fast standard prime - all in a small shoulder bag.

I picked up a friend's Canon 7dii with 70-200 f2.8 last week - boy oh boy was that a heavy bit of kit! The one body and lens weighs more than the total E-M1ii kit.
                    Paul
                    flickr
                    Portfolio Site
                    Instagram

Comment

I was kinda looking forward to this SLR gear review but now I'm not so sure.
                      My dilemma is whether to replace my 12-40 with the 12-100 or continue saving for the 300 f/4.
                      I do use my 12-40 wide open on more than the odd occasion so it would be a shame to lose a stop but otherwise the 12-100 is just so tempting.
                      Decisions, decisions.....
                      Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                      Capture One Pro
                      My flickr

Comment

I know this is called a travel lens, but I certainly use wider apertures than f4 very often when travelling (mostly in cities). In contrast I'm going to be using this as a lightweight landscape lens, when hiking especially, to be used off tripod and in environments when changing lenses is risky (dust, water).
                        I may well carry one very small lens in a pocket as well - 60 macro, 15 f1.7, 45 f1.8 as I predict will be useful.
                        Regards,
                        Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

The f4 bit is of course the compromise for such a long zoom range in a comparatively small and light package. I agree with Mark that f2.8 is useful for travelling - when going inside buildings especially. However, so long as the subject is static the Sync IS of the lens/camera combo is so effective that it more than compensates. I can get 50% success at 8s at 12mm and 1/2s at 100mm. Great for blurring people, water, cars etc!
                          Paul
                          flickr
                          Portfolio Site
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
                            I was kinda looking forward to this SLR gear review but now I'm not so sure.
                            My dilemma is whether to replace my 12-40 with the 12-100 or continue saving for the 300 f/4.
                            I do use my 12-40 wide open on more than the odd occasion so it would be a shame to lose a stop but otherwise the 12-100 is just so tempting.
                            Decisions, decisions.....
                            Depending on what you want the 300/4 for you may do better with the Panasonic 100-400 which is excellent but cheaper.
                            David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                              The f4 bit is of course the compromise for such a long zoom range in a comparatively small and light package. I agree with Mark that f2.8 is useful for travelling - when going inside buildings especially. However, so long as the subject is static the Sync IS of the lens/camera combo is so effective that it more than compensates. I can get 50% success at 8s at 12mm and 1/2s at 100mm. Great for blurring people, water, cars etc!
                              Yes, there's been some scoffing about this lens from the usual sources (Canikon & Sony users mainly) which has maybe some validity if you are using it as a traditional 'travel' lens and aren't bothered about carrying large and heavy APSC and FF fast zooms, or multiple primes that you have to keep changing (and then you have to keep cleaning your sensor...).

However, as I keep pointing out (!), Landscape Photographer of the Year images are very rarely taken at f5.6, never mind any wider, so this IMHO is a perfect, light, weatherproof all-in-one landscape solution.
                              Regards,
                              Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Melaka View Post
                                Depending on what you want the 300/4 for you may do better with the Panasonic 100-400 which is excellent but cheaper.
                                Thanks for the suggestion David but my plan involves the 300 mm prime rather than a zoom.
                                Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                                Capture One Pro
                                My flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X