Tempted by the Olympus 12-100mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tempted by the Olympus 12-100mm

Steambuff, I accept what you are saying. But I need a good superzoom lens for travel use as a single lens. I do not expect it to be as good as my Olympus 17mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8 or 75mm f1.8.

At present I am using the Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 as my travel lens with the EM5 II and although I like the lens very much, it just is not long enough. I find myself also taking the Panasonic 35-100mm f4-5.6mm but although optically very good, this lens is not weather sealed and the build quality is poor. The Olympus 12-100mm f4 is one answer but the cost and weight are putting me off. The Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 has the zoom range and is light enough to act as the sole holiday lens while being less than half the cost of the 12-100mm. Hence the rethink.

If the Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 takes as good pictures as the 12-50mm, I will be satisfied.

Comment

I've just been out for the first time with the 12-100 replacing the usual 14-150 Mk 2 on my EM5.2. I really didn't notice the extra weight. Seems good to use. Too early to comment on results.

Comment

Some outfit called ESHOP based in Germany are offering NEW Olympus 12-100mm lenses at 770 plus 4.41 postage to the UK...on Amazon Marketplace! Is this deal as crooked as a 3-pound note?

Comment

It is one of those (Amazon Marketplace is overrun by these) sellers that tells you to contact them by a dodgy e-mail address, they would probably want payment outwith Amazon and you would never see you money or the lens again.
          Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
          Flickr

Comment

I made a decision and acted on it; I know that some of you will not approve but I decided that great lens though it seems to be, I did not need the Olympus 12-100mm f4 PRO. It was too expensive and heavy to be my all round "tourist" lens and with the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 PRO, Olympus 17mm f1.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4, Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro and Olympus 75mm f1.8 in the same bag, I had a lot of options for fine work.

Therefore, I went to my local Great Western Cameras where they had the Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 II on sale at 449 brand new and boxed (no cashback). They offered me a reasonable 140 for my almost 5 year old Olympus 12-50mm plus slightly used (but boxed) Panasonic 35-100mm f4-5.6. I brought home the new lens and quite like it; OK, it may not be as fine as the 12-100mm but as I said before, more practical as a runaround on-camera lens.

Comment

I'm torn between running this lens on a GX8 or E-M5 Mk II. I've picked up an E-M5 Mk II to help me decide and I've taken a couple of photos of the lens on each camera. Please find the photos attached!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Levster View Post
                I'm torn between running this lens on a GX8 or E-M5 Mk II. I've picked up an E-M5 Mk II to help me decide and I've taken a couple of photos of the lens on each camera. Please find the photos attached!
                At least on the E-M5 II (with FW version 2 or later) you get the added benefit of Sync IS.
                Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

http://www.lenstip.com/497.4-Lens_re...esolution.html
                  Stuff from Cuba
                  More stuff from Cuba
                  It all started here

Comment

Bit of a large beast, isn't it? Looks better suited to a E-M1 sized body.....

Comment

I keep thinking the world should be awash with cheap second hand 12-40 Pros as people sell them off to fund their 12-100 Pro ... but I'm not seeing them. So instead I spent a fair bit less on a (four thirds) 12-60 which seems a very fine lens indeed ...

Comment

Originally posted by RobEW View Post
                        I keep thinking the world should be awash with cheap second hand 12-40 Pros as people sell them off to fund their 12-100 Pro ... but I'm not seeing them. So instead I spent a fair bit less on a (four thirds) 12-60 which seems a very fine lens indeed ...
                        I bought a 12-60 SWD lens during last year myself too & also can live with that for most situations because it does produce a nice output. I would want to go for the E-M1 Mk II before I go for the 12-100 f4 lens.
                        Ross
                        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Anyone still waiting on their back-ordered 12-100mm? I have been waiting three weeks...

Comment

SRS have this in stock and so do some other dealers. Why not cancel you order and order elsewhere. It could be with you tomorrow.

Unless you a good deal on it
                            All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Mine finally arrived this morning. I can't wait to test it out soon!

Comment

Yes, a bit of a cracker, isn't it.

Of course, the full-frame DSLR brigade will laugh out loud and tell us it's impossible to take a decent photograph with such a beast that only goes to f4, which is equivalent to f8... blah... blah...

Meanwhile, we'll slip the 45 f1.8 (or similar, if we feel the need) in the jacket pocket, skip light-footedly up and down the hills, and come back with stunning landscape images such as were being shown by Steve Gosling at the NEC last week.
                                Regards,
                                Mark

------------------------------
                                http://www.microcontrast.com
                                Too much Oly gear.
                                Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                                Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Working...
                                X