Panasonic-Leica 100-400 Review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic-Leica 100-400 Review.

Gets a good review. I wonder how good the IS is with Olympus cameras and indeed the autofocus as well?

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/p...h-review-28971

Re: Panasonic-Leica 100-400 Review.

Yeah, I agree it's positive as far as it goes, but we need to see a review or two from serious independent wildlife photographers (with E-M1 or -M5II experience) before the jury comes back in.
    Regards,
    Mark

------------------------------
    http://www.microcontrast.com
    Too much Oly gear.
    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

The review does not have performance figures for 300mm which makes it rather meaningless if you want to compare the two new lenses. Likewise it would be good to see the figures for the 300mm with the MC14.
      David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Still confused will the Olympus IBIS work in conjunction with the ILIS or will only one of them work.
        Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
          Still confused will the Olympus IBIS work in conjunction with the ILIS or will only one of them work.
          As I understand it, the Panasonic ILIS will not work in conjunction with the Olympus IBIS. You have to choose one or the other.

Ron

Comment

Jessops have the date of March 7th for delivery of this lens, so it won't be too long to find out how good it is

Comment

Its looking like a useful lens.
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

I wonder if it will be available to fondle at the NEC later in the month
                Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

I was wondering that too Dave. Who knows they might even have a show offer?...wishful thinking I guess.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Picked up my Panasonic 100 - 400mm f4/6.3 this morning (25th March) from the Leamington Spa branch of London Camera Exchange - kudos to Adam of LCE. Jumped into the car to go home and it started to rain and didn't stop. Minging weather. Anyway, packaging as good as Olympus, lens build quality appears the equal of my Olympus Pro lenses and AF appears to be pretty quick and accurate. Wonderfully light (I have recently changed from APS-C with a 300mm f2.8 that weighed 2.55 Kgs). Hope to give it a good blast at the weekend - weather permitting.

Comment

Look forward to your user report

Comment

Interesting Jerrin, i assume pre ordered, still no notification from Jesse's yet re collection for a pre ordered one

Comment

Well, I tried the 100 - 400mm out for a limited time on Friday and Sunday and again on Tuesday. Here are my thoughts so far: the lens is well built but the zoom ring is quite stiff, though it may loosen up. This is not an issue for me as I bought it to use mainly at 400mm. The zoom lock is first rate. I am very pleased with the results so far: it is undoubtedly sharp - even at f6.3 and 400mm. Colours are vibrant - took a few of a Mandarin duck and other types in bright sunshine and I was impressed. I use LR6 and could not fault the result. I tend to use quite a high shutter speed for most wildlife, unless it's something sedentary and with this lens I was using 1/1000 or higher. When the weather is overcast the slow f6.3 really pushes up the ISO. I could not use the lens at 400mm on some otters in the pouring rain as the ISO was too high. When set to 300mm the f-stop was showing about f5.7. Tried to focus at 400mm on some fast BIF but failed miserably; didn't even get to use the shutter release. If the weather is decent tomorrow will try some slower BIF at the local park. This lens handles well on an EM1 fitted with a battery pack. It did not feel quite as good without, though. I did discover a slight issue, which will only be manifest to those of us who use a Cotton Carrier. The relatively heavy lens shows up the flaw in the way the battery pack attaches to the camera. The Canon design is far superior. So, was this a good buy? For me it's an emphatic yes. Will I still but the Olympus 300 f4 PRO? Certainly, as I believe it will be better for BIF as the lens IS is sync'd to the IBIS, so I will not be cancelling my order. I'm afraid I have been unable to upload any images as my files are too large. I had not realised that I would have to limit them to 500kb. I will, however, be uploading images using this lens onto ePHOTOzine from 31/03/16. Hope this lengthy tome is of some value to those considering this lens.

Comment

Jessops Stock is now in

Comment

Final report from me on this Panasonic lens: Used it yesterday in lovely bright sushine and it returned some really sharp images at 250, 300 and 400mm all at f6.3 or f8. I was still unable to take any BIF at 400mm, the camera just wouldn't focus fast enough - even with the focus limiter set. Tried it at 300mm but discovered 250mm returned the best results for BIF and this was for geese, ducks and seagulls. It's no big deal for me as I don't take a lot of BIF - I prefer images of birds taking off from or landing on water and the lens/EM1 combination does cope with those types of shot pretty well, even at 400mm. One thing I have come to understand though: regardless of the hype from those with a vested interest, this lens will not produce the results obtained using an APS-C body with the equivalent focal length at long distance. It is great for filling the frame at short to mid range and IQ is excellent but the small sensor of M43 still shows it's limitations at long distance - more so than I expected. Nevertheless, the advantages of M43 outweigh this limitation as far as I'm concerned. This is a great lens.

Comment

Working...
                              X