Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic-Leica 100-400 Review.

Originally posted by Jerrin View Post
    this lens will not produce the results obtained using an APS-C body with the equivalent focal length at long distance. It is great for filling the frame at short to mid range and IQ is excellent but the small sensor of M43 still shows it's limitations at long distance - more so than I expected. Nevertheless, the advantages of M43 outweigh this limitation as far as I'm concerned. This is a great lens.
    Presumably that is down to lens design rather than the sensor itself.

Comment

I pressume (but may well be wrong) it's the small sensor because, like most, I tend to crop wildlife shots, more so at longer distances in order to make the subject prominent. Such cropping invariably reduces the IQ but larger sensors show a greater amount of detail over that of smaller sensors. In fairness, I doubt that I would be able to discern the difference in IQ between M43 and APS-C at short to mid range. I do not miss my Canon 7D mark 11 plus Canon 100 - 400 f4/5.6 mark 11 from an IQ point of view at normal shooting distances.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrin View Post
        I pressume (but may well be wrong) it's the small sensor because, like most, I tend to crop wildlife shots, more so at longer distances in order to make the subject prominent. Such cropping invariably reduces the IQ but larger sensors show a greater amount of detail over that of smaller sensors. In fairness, I doubt that I would be able to discern the difference in IQ between M43 and APS-C at short to mid range. I do not miss my Canon 7D mark 11 plus Canon 100 - 400 f4/5.6 mark 11 from an IQ point of view at normal shooting distances.
        In reality it's a function of both.

It's the lens because the lens isn't performing well enough to allow significant cropping.

It's the sensor because the smaller the sensor (the higher the magnification) the better the lens needs to be to achieve the detail and contrast necessary to give the crop-ability.

Depending on how you look at it m43 is either just the right compromise as the new lenses demonstrate that you can out-resolve the sensor (e.g. the pro zooms) OR just a touch too small as lens performance has to be sooo good that it becomes prohibitively difficult to produce such lenses which is especially difficult as the magnification goes up (e.g. 400mm).

Comment

Any news on this lens... the web seems very quiet. Seems to be available in the US, but all the retailers in the UK are still showing pre-order.

Thanks, Steve
          Steve

Comment

There's absolutely loads about it on the DPReview m43 forum, including loads of moaning about availability in the UK and how people who pre ordered haven't had theirs yet.

I feel rather lucky that I just called LCE and they said one of their branches had one and I bought it and it was delivered the next day, I guess this was about a month ago.

Some shots from my first walk with it here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/723416...57667227745912

Comment

Thanks for the update... for some reason, DPReview hasn't popped up on my google searches.

Lucky you, getting one so early!
              Steve

Comment

My friend pre ordered from Jessops, and got as soon as first stock arrived no problem, and she has taken some cracking shots of BIF with it

Comment

Jessops in Kingston have one....honestly (well they did at lunchtime).
                  http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...t=40744&page=3

Comment

Working...
                  X