General walkabout lens for Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General walkabout lens for Travel

Hi Ive recently acquired acquired an EM-5 for Travel as I'm sick of lugging a DSLR around. My question is a simple one what does everyone consider a good compromise lens wise - Ive normally use a 17 -50 on my Canon, the Oly 12 -40 seems a little big and heavy for what seems to be a small camera. Im really interested in people architecture, street, stuff and landscapes.
    Your help would be appreciated.
    Mark

Re: General walkabout lens for Travel

The M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12‑50mm 1:3.5‑6.3 is much, much lighter, still a little bit long but has internal zoom. It also has weather sealing and the (very good) macro function. I was always pleasantly surprised at the quality of the images, but the big issue is the f3.5-6.3; f6.3 at 50mm just isn't bright enough in some situations.
    If you can live with the f6.3 limitation it is worth considering as they were classed as a kit lens and can be picked up pretty cheaply.
    Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
    Flickr

Comment

Maybe a 14-150 Mk 2 (which unlike the Mk 1 is weather sealed like your camera) plus the very small 9-18mm for the wider stuff. If you need wider apertures, then perhaps adding a 20mm Panasonic. The 20mm and the 9-18mm really are quite small, though not sealed, and would easily fit in a pocket or in a little belt pouch.
      Bought second hand, the latter two could even be sold on with little or no financial loss if you don't get on with the combination; You might even make a profit.
      Best Regards
      Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
      They're Watching You!

Comment

My "walkabout" kit is the 9-18 on the camera and the tiny 14-42 EZ. Sometimes I take the 40-150 II R if I think I might need it.

If your holiday "snaps" are only ever going to be shown on a laptop, tablet or TV, the IQ will be perfectly suitable. If however you think you may want to get the best IQ possible, then you will have to suffer the extra weight.

I'm always impressed by the IQ from the old 40-150 II R and the 14-42 II R. The 14-42 EZ is not that far behind them.

Have a good one.
        Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Another vote for the 14-150. I only have the Mk1 version but it sits on the E-M5 nearly all the time. Great for travelling with a really useful focal length range.
          All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks Guys - Im interested in the 9 -18 but it was the longer reach I was struggling with the 14-42ez seemed a good compromise but if read that there are some very soft versions out there.
            The 12 -50 seems a useful length but it just seems a very long lens in terms of size and I'm not keen on the electric zoom

Comment

While not 'bigged up' by the cognoscenti, the 12-50 is a cracking lens! I use it regularly on my EP% with EVF 3.
              Too many cameras!
              E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

Originally posted by marksovereign View Post
                <snip>I was struggling with the 14-42ez seemed a good compromise but if read that there are some very soft versions out there.<snip>
                I too have read this. But there is nothing better than "Try-B4U-Buy" Contact a dealer who is doing "Test & Wow" and try one out.

My one seems to be a good'un, but if you don't like EZ then go for the 14-42 II R.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Sorry to add yet another choice, but the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 is significantly smaller and lighter than the 12-40, and I use it with the panny 35-100 f2.8 as my compact travel kit. The latter is a damn sight smaller and lighter than the 40-150 Pro.

Both are weather-resistant and very sharp, and they share the same handling and filter size, but it must be said they are not cheap and they don't focus as close as the Oly zooms. Only you can decide if the extra reach of the Olys is necessary for you.

We are so lucky to have all this choice!
                  Regards,
                  Mark

------------------------------
                  http://www.microcontrast.com
                  Too much Oly gear.
                  Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                  Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by marksovereign View Post
                    The 12 -50 seems a useful length but it just seems a very long lens in terms of size and I'm not keen on the electric zoom
                    You don't have to use the electric zoom, there's a manual setting as well. It's my standard lens for walkabout photography and the IQ is more than adequate, especially when processed with DxO.
                    Regards
                    Richard

Comment

For me, the 45mm F1.8 is an ideal lens for walking about. Its small Light and unobtrusive, and also realativley cheap.

Comment

14-42EZ with auto lens cap is discrete and turns your camera into an easy to use and quick point and shoot. You can easily put a 40-150R into a pocket without much hassle and you aren't carting a bag around.

Else the 12-40 is perfectly good using the inbuilt 2x converter to 80mm (160mm 35mm equivalent) under most conditions. Not too heavy either, works great with a Blackrapid sling strap.
                        My Flickr

Comment

Personally I'd go for a fixed lens prime (or two - one in the pocket). Optically I'd go for the Oly 25. Though I perhaps find the 17mm a more versatile focal length.

Comment

Another vote for the 12-50mm, with its excellent macro and 2x as well, you have a single lens covering a very useful range. The electric zoom is handy if you get tempted to video. I use mine on a EM-5.
                            The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

I'm with Mark. I have 5 lenses but it's the 12-35 that sits on my camera 90% of the time.

David
                              The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

Working...
                              X