How To Use Filters on 7-14!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Use Filters on 7-14!

I've spent the last week trying to figure this out. No thread so what to do. Many of us want to use NDs and I discovered 100x100 filters laid on the hood will work. 85x85 don't and nothing smaller, but at least 100 will. So there had to be a way.
    Olympus posted a picture on their Get Olympus Facebook page a while ago of a rep with a Lee rep, asking what filters people want for this lens. So you can bet they are working on something. My money is on something like the system for the Nikon 14 UWA, big that the lens is inserted into off body before mounting onto the body. And you can bet it won't be 100mm filters. Why use 100mm when they can do a daft size that you have to buy. Kerching.
    Someone I know knows someone who knows someone who said they are looking at it and its going to be expensive.
    So I played with lots of ideas, based on tubes. The best was the outer case of a thermal mug from Ikea. Aluminium, fitted snug with rubber seals inside to grip and an old holder glued on. It worked, but vignetted at 7.5mm. So thats a fail. Also it couldn't rotate easily and still means attaching it with the lens off body. Other plastic cups, bowls etc etc also worked and I got rid of vignetting, but it was starting to get big so I abandoned that idea.
    I started on the Cokin X Pro system. Its big but allows the holder to rotate and it can be mounted with lens on body.
    Then I realised there is the Cokin P499 universal ring for the P system with bolts that grip the lens hood. So a call to Cokin for some tech details and I had one the next day. And it works.

Re: How To Use Filters on 7-14!

Here is the Cokin P499 Universal Ring with what I did. The outer diameter is just about the perfect size to glue straight to a Lee Holder (and a cheap Source holder I got on Amazon). But the holes for the bolts are just off the right position. They will align with the large petals, but not the small petals. You could drill new holes where you need them and let the metal bolts cut new threads, but its still tricky to rotate.
    BUT, get a Lee 77mm wide angle adapter ring. As it is, the centre diameter encroaches into the frame and vignettes. But its two parts threaded together. I know because I knocked it off once, costing me a filter and separated ring. It might take force but it will separate.
    Araldite glue the Outer ring onto the end of the Cokin ring. Its almost a perfect diameter, it gives just that little bit needed so you don't have to redress holes, AND you can now attache a holder and rotate it. Simple.

Comment

With lee 77mm wide angle adapter outer ring glued on.

Comment

The bolts are quite long so it suits smaller lenses, too long for me, I won't use it on other lenses because I use the seven5. So I cut them just over half way. They have nylon tips to stop scratches and they can't be re-attached. So i got some large cup hooks, the type with a nylon rubber sheath, cut the ends off and superglued them onto the ends of the bolts. Note, because the tips are now bigger you can't remove the bolts. Not a bad thing because if you lose one you can't get a spare (I checked). See the lip on the ring below the bolt? The bolts have to be wound back flush with the lip because it literally is tight sliding on th lens hood (perhaps 1-2mm spare) so be careful to trim back to the right size if you do this. Test before gluing anything. I also had a few gaps where I glued the rings together so put some black silicone in the lip inside (a bit scruffy but its not seen).

Comment

One with the ring attached and holder attached. No vignetting even with two rails and it rotates.

Comment

Note the petal hood has to stick through so its almost touching the filter. Very soft filters like Hitech and Cokin may scratch. Lee are a little tougher so Im not concerned. Maybe some felt on the edges of the lens hood? I recently started using Hitech Firecrest NDs which are just superb and glass, so no worries.

Comment

Light leakage is an issue. Its difficult to get the gaskets on the rear or NDs to block light once the Lee ring has been butchered, and its even smaller, so I made a hood myself (no laughing please). Cut the sleeve out of an old jersey, doubled it over for two layers, stitched a rubber band into one end so it grips the barrel, and folded over the filter to block light, it isn't seen in the frame and blocks light better than struggling with gaskets. And it crumples up to nothing in size.

Comment

So there you go. Its possible. Hopefully lee or someone will come up with something that works well doesn't mean you have to sell a kidney and uses 100mm. For now Im happy I can do long exposures

Hope anyone finds this useful!

Comment

Just a note before anyone spots it, the pic with the holder attached to lens shows the rails at the top and bottom, the narrowest part of the frame and less chance of vignetting. Turn it the other way so they are vertical, does it vignette. No its fine

Comment

Thanks great idea and looks a good piece of work
                    Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Very good......now all I need is the lens!
                      GrahamJ
                      EM1X, EM1 mk2, Panny/Leica m25, 60mm, 7-14mm 2.8, 12-40mm 2.8, 12-100 f4, 40-150mm 2.8, 300 f4 and those teleconverter thingys..........and I am sure thats it!

Comment

That's so much better than my Blu-Tak and an old black sock...

I've heard that Lee Filters are looking at producing something for the new 7-14 f/2.8

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Paul
                          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                          flickr
                          Portfolio Site
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                            You obviously got there Phil, but separating Lee rings, gluing stuff together, chopping fixing pins, supergluing cup hooks and using old jerseys held on with elastic bands doesn't sit well with a lens costing £1000 or so!

There is a nice solution from Fotodiox for the Panasonic 7-14, but it's very expensive (about £300 if you include the holder plus 10-stop ND) and it's not particularly portable either. I'm so amazed that anyone thinks designing a UWA lens without the ability to take filters is a sensible idea!
                            True Paul but you don't have to cut bolts etc. just bond a ring onto the cokin ring and cut a sock up and you're good to go. It all looks neat and tidy too apart from the sock lol. Maybe there's a better way but it works. I saw the photodiox and it looks ok but it's the size for me, and cost of filters. 100mm cost enough as it is. And I'm not keen on removing a lens on a windy sandy beach just to put a filter holder on. Yep agreed who on earth thought a lens that will obviously appeal to landscapers more than anyone and often use filters, doesn't need a thread or a solution. Maybe Oly have something coming. If anyone produces a neat, easy to store holder that doesn't need filters over 100mm I'm there. My little cokin ring works a treat for now.

Comment

Great idea, thanks for sharing. How's the new lens performing?
                              Stuff from Cuba
                              More stuff from Cuba
                              It all started here

Comment

Working...
                              X