Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

How To Use Filters on 7-14!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How To Use Filters on 7-14!

It's just superb! Been out a couple of times to push it and it's surprising how good it is. Lens flare is less of an issue than I though and even stopped down diffraction is less of a problem. A few shots at f22 were a little soft but the detail was all there and it sharpened up just fine without having to crucify soft tones and fine detail. It's the detail it resolves I love it's so impressive. To me anyway it seems better than the 12-40. When I first move d to oly 6 months ago I posted on here with concerns about fine detail (Same old same old from another full framer). Not any more.

Comment

Thanks. it reminded me of this http://www.3ders.org/articles/201411...ikon-lens.html maybe something similar for the 7-14?
      Stuff from Cuba
      More stuff from Cuba
      It all started here

Comment

It's performing very impressively indeed. You would expect it to be good but to me it's even better than I hoped. Contrast and colour is very good, sharpness is excellent even in the corners and the detail it resolves is incredible. There's next to no distortion and the FOV is great for using creatively. If you angle the lens down or up there will be vertical distortions obviously but LR does a very good job correcting it if you want to. All in all probably my favourite lens, but I like wide. And I can use filters just got a firecrest 16 and finally managed to get hold of a 10, hard to get!
        I refined the filter holder so I don't have to use the cloth hood. There is a small gap on the holder at the back where it goes over the lens so a black hair band sorts that. I got hold of some of the gasket material used on the rear of filters so I apploed it to the face of the Lee holder, now no problem even if I use a grad. Seems to be working quite well.

Comment

Hello there,

A reply under my topic on dpreview leads me here.

This is my 1st try, I modified the adapter that I made for ZD714, just add a soft layer inside the adapator:

dpreview.com/forums/post/56013114

Then my 2nd try, 3D printed prototype

dpreview.com/forums/post/56062817

I made some modification on the prototype, it's on the way being made!

Yes, I confirme with some effort there will be no dark edge.

I present you this, with this and some little modification effort, you can have 3 layers without dark edge

3dpideas.es/shop/en/home/19-3dpslots.html

Comment

Originally posted by Enzojz View Post
            Hello there,

A reply under my topic on dpreview leads me here.

This is my 1st try, I modified the adapter that I made for ZD714, just add a soft layer inside the adapator:

dpreview.com/forums/post/56013114

Then my 2nd try, 3D printed prototype

dpreview.com/forums/post/56062817

I made some modification on the prototype, it's on the way being made!

Yes, I confirme with some effort there will be no dark edge.

I present you this, with this and some little modification effort, you can have 3 layers without dark edge

3dpideas.es/shop/en/home/19-3dpslots.html
            Hi Enzo
            Its looking good I like the idea. Interested in updates. Im also looking at another version. A couple of questions, how is the unit secured onto the lens hood, so that there is no movement or risk of it falling off?
            3 layers, I presume you mean, 3 filters? Not sure how? Using the end of the lens hood as the datum/minimum distance for a filter from the element, and the 100mm filters, 2 rails is just about the maximum, and causes vignetting if rotated, so using 3 must make the issue worse. Slimmer rails may help, but the Lee rails seem to be the minimum required, so there is obviously a minimum height possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Philn67 View Post
              Hi Enzo
              Its looking good I like the idea. Interested in updates. Im also looking at another version. A couple of questions, how is the unit secured onto the lens hood, so that there is no movement or risk of it falling off?
              3 layers, I presume you mean, 3 filters? Not sure how? Using the end of the lens hood as the datum/minimum distance for a filter from the element, and the 100mm filters, 2 rails is just about the maximum, and causes vignetting if rotated, so using 3 must make the issue worse. Slimmer rails may help, but the Lee rails seem to be the minimum required, so there is obviously a minimum height possible.
              I have left about a gap of 1.5mm between the lens hood and the adapter, I am looking for a soft material to fill the gap between them.

For the rail, I bought the one from 3DPideas so that I have 3 filters working(need some modification)

Comment

An update to my adapter. You can see the 3DPSlot I am using which is near to perfect.

dpreview.com/forums/post/56091586

Comment

I have left about a gap of 1.5mm between the lens hood and the adapter, I am looking for a soft material to fill the gap between them.
                  Perhaps some velvet-like material would work as a light seal? And be "slippery" enough to push over the hood without jamming or catching.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafletcher View Post
                    Perhaps some velvet-like material would work as a light seal? And be "slippery" enough to push over the hood without jamming or catching.
                    The latest prototype uses glass cloth of seal the rear, however clothes are not easy to cut so I am try one with rubber foam.

Comment

Hello,

My beta testing opens. Normally it's a working adapter

If it's interested me, please leave me a Pm on dpreview or reply in this topic:

dpreview.com/forums/post/56190181

Comment

Enzojz,
                        I am interested in one adapter for my 7-14 f/2.8 lens to be used with a Lee filter with 77mm
                        Are the tests done and are you selling the adapters ?
                        Thank you !
                        images - Flickr - Face - Gallery representation
                        "I've become very picky. Most of my outings these days do not yield satisfactory photographs because what used to be satisfactory to me in the past no longer is. I make much fewer images today than I have in previous times, and I expect this trend to continue. Progress in art is not about becoming more prolific; it's about becoming more demanding." - Guy Tal

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Correia View Post
                          Enzojz,
                          I am interested in one adapter for my 7-14 f/2.8 lens to be used with a Lee filter with 77mm
                          Are the tests done and are you selling the adapters ?
                          Thank you !
                          Hello,

The tests are done and there is some known issues under extreme condition. Principaly caused by the transparency of the material it used. However with a 10 stops filter it's ok. I am waiting for a version with better but more expensive material. I think there will be two versions of adapter with different materials.

I have made a customized filter slot for the adapter, and I can uses 3 filters without dark edge(but without much rotation)

I expect to start selling by the end of september.

Comment

Hello,...I expect to start selling by the end of september.
                            Thank you. I hope you announce the sell here.
                            images - Flickr - Face - Gallery representation
                            "I've become very picky. Most of my outings these days do not yield satisfactory photographs because what used to be satisfactory to me in the past no longer is. I make much fewer images today than I have in previous times, and I expect this trend to continue. Progress in art is not about becoming more prolific; it's about becoming more demanding." - Guy Tal

Comment

Working...
                            X