Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New auto converter for Canon Lenses on mft cameras.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New auto converter for Canon Lenses on mft cameras.

Looks very interesting for Olly owners with Canon lenses.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...ofocus-adapter

No mention of price yet that I can see.

Re: New auto converter for Canon Lenses on mft cameras.

I can see no mention of electronic control of the lens aperture, which makes the adaptor of limited use I think. I may have missed something; the Kipon website would not load for me.

I would much rather have an adapter that allows control of the aperture. Canon EF mount lenses have switchable or full-time manual focus anyway, so adding the ability to control the aperture is more useful. BTW, I have one of those adapters with a built-in iris and it is pretty much useless. It does nothing but vignette unless the focal length is short.

Mark

Comment

I've just remembered that Metabones make a "Smart Adapter" that gives aperture control (but not AF).

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BM1

I have looked at this in the past but could not verify that it would fit the E-M1 with its bigger viewfinder bump (the first version of the m4/3 speed booster that was released before the E-M1 was introduced would not fit on the E-M1). Has anyone used the Metabones device?

Mark

Comment

The article says "The new adapter features electronic contacts and a built-in circuit board which work together to transmit autofocus, image stabilization functionality and EXIF data to MFT camera" but no mention of aperture.
        Just noticed the price too at $285.

Comment

Oh no now you are telling me I could use a Canon MP-E 65mm f2.8 lens
          OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

From what I've seen and read, it works with the EF and EF-S lens only. I would imagin the $285 price tag will convert to around the same in ££££'s.
            It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

looks really interesting

Comment

It seems that AF-S support when using the E-M1 has been added with a FW update:

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/...te_version_1.8

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

I found this post with samples achieved using a Canon EF 400/5.6 with the EM1 and it looks promising indeed.
                    http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/thr...041#post638041

Does any one have information about the expected price point for the upcoming mZuiko 300/F4 + MC14?

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

So, being a gear tart and having made a little money selling pics this year I made the mistake of reading this and many other threads on the Metabones Smart T adapter on the EM-1 with canon L lenses.

This morning I took delivery of the adapter from Jessops UK (now a great on-line supplier and on my "preferred supplier list"). It was loaded with firmware v1.9 which is said to provide SAF with canon lenses on the EM-1

Worse was to come as my local camera dealer had the 70-300LIS and 400 f.6 L in stock as warranted , used offers - so I popped over

The 70-300 LIS focused very quickly even in the poor lighting in-store and images appeared sharp and well focused even though I was using IOS1600 with around 1/60th sec, wide open.

I decided, reluctantly that although this was still my favourite zoom of all time it wasn't sufficiently different from the 50-200 ED + TC to justify the price

So I then tried the 400 L and even that was able to focus quite rapidly under these conditions, snapping to focus and on the LCD, looking pretty well focused and sharp

Its now at home with me and despite the foul light I have run a few of my standard focus shots, which look promising (but I really need to get some half-decent light to give it a proper work out.) Tomorrow looks promising so I hope to get down to our windsurfing beach and try it out properly

A few not very interesting first test shots:

PC160104-Edit by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr

PC160104 100% crop by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr

PC160100-Edit by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr

pylon test 800m by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr

PC160155-Edit by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr

all hand-held and wide-open aperture

Comment

Brian,
                        On my screen the TV antenna and the power cables display a significant 'halo' - not sure if this is just a (over)sharpening artifact from the e-group web site or whether it is present on your original images?
                        Chris

Comment

thanks for the input Chris, looking at the originals files at 100% and those on my flikr site I can see no sign of halo on the TV dish or the roof-top antenna but there is a trace of green CA on top of the power lines (that's using a Dell ultra-sharp 24" monitor)

It could be you are using a higher resolution monitor screen and are picking up faults I can't see on mine?

Hopefully the light will be a little better tomorrow and I will get the chance to shoot some more realistic subjects (windsurfing nutters ) and have another look

Comment

The shots look fine to me Brian.
                            Am I right in thinking there is no aperture control?

Comment

Mike, firmware 1.9 give full control of aperture, full EXIF etc (and V2 is supposed to let you autofocus even with the 1.4xTC on giving f8! )

I shot wide open because the light was so poor and to get a feel for the worst case focus performance

Early days yet but it seems a neat bit of reverse engineering has been done

Comment

Working...
                              X