Panasonic 20mm 1.7 focus speed with OMD EM1 body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic 20mm 1.7 focus speed with OMD EM1 body

I love the Sigma 19, 30 and 60mm ART lenses. 'Only' f2.8 but all are fast to focus on my cameras and sharp as a tack!
    Too many cameras!
    E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelShea View Post
      With Lightroom, I believe the distortion characteristic is automatically corrected on micro four thirds lenses whether you want it applied or not....
      Well I always thought that, too, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this is from the orf straight through LR 5.7:

_5281124 by drmarkf, on Flickr
      Regards,
      Mark

------------------------------
      http://www.microcontrast.com
      Too much Oly gear.
      Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
      Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

I agree that looks almost completely untouched and don't know what to suggest really, other than the auto correction tool. Some of the problem is geometric rather than any fault of the lens, but it appears unacceptably bad to me. If it's any consolation, I paid more than £500 for an Olympus 12mm f2 Limited Edition lens and the amount of distortion correction in Lightroom was inadequate for seascapes with wonky visible horizons high up in the frame. Having experimented with many raw converters, the best for correcting this problem in my experience has been DxO Optics Pro.

Comment

Yes, these are images from 2011 and I no longer have the panny 20 or the E-PL2, so it doesn't matter for me, but it was a bit irritating at the time to have to run the images through PTLens. Interestingly, looking at those images the CO corrected image is more rectilinear than the PTLens one (I suppose it ought to be, at the price).

For anyone with Oly bodies I think the 17 f1.8 has a better balance of attributes, but there does still seem to be room for a Pro quality full-frame-35mm equivalent 'street' lens in the Zuiko stable.

Capture One is very good these days...

I bought Lightroom when it was on special offer a while ago since our camera club does some very good training on it, but almost everything I learned transfers to CO and I've stuck with that very happily.
          Regards,
          Mark

------------------------------
          http://www.microcontrast.com
          Too much Oly gear.
          Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
          Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Does the Panasonic 14mm exhibit the same faults?

Comment

I don't possess the 14mm f2.5 any longer either, but it's focus speed and accuracy are excellent. I don't recall shooting video with it, so can't really comment on any noise issues. Given that it was released to combine with the video capable GF1 camera however, I think it's likely that many or all of the earlier pancake problems were ironed out.

Comment

Working...
              X