Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Manual focus with FBW lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual focus with FBW lenses

I use manual focus regularly in lanfscape and macro work.
    I hate how slowly Focus by wire lenses operate and I wish Oly would provide some way of controlling the focus speed specifically speeding it up to be more like mechanical focus.
    If my 35mm f3.5 would focus better manually I would use it much more than I do.

I received an Olympus M. Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ ED MSC Lens today and was very surprised at the speed and feel of the MF it was great.

So why cant the other lenses focus like this?

OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Re: Manual focus with FBW lenses

I use AF+M so that the AF gets it to where it needs to be and then MF to fine tune to where I want the focal plain to be.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

The manual focus action on the SWD lenses is quite nice. The focus by wire on the 7-14 is so bad I leave it on AF 95% of the time.
      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

I find that the MF of the 4/3 35mm macro on the EM1 is rather jerky. When focussing, you can see the focus change in jumps. Given the thin DoF in macro, this is not ideal.

The SWD lenses should give better feel in MF because the focus ring is permanently mechanically coupled and so drives the focus even when the lens is not on the camera. That is the advantage of ring-motor type AF.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_R2 View Post
          I find that the MF of the 4/3 35mm macro on the EM1 is rather jerky. When focussing, you can see the focus change in jumps. Given the thin DoF in macro, this is not ideal.

The SWD lenses should give better feel in MF because the focus ring is permanently mechanically coupled and so drives the focus even when the lens is not on the camera. That is the advantage of ring-motor type AF.
          Thats is pretty much why my macro lens is the Sigma 105 as I acnt be bothered with the 35 mm being slow in MF and AF for macro is no use at all IMO.

Why cant Oly do a firmware upgrade where you tune the focus speed on the FBW lenses making the usable in MF.
          OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Working...
          X