Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi all I'm new here - help needed please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all I'm new here - help needed please :)

Hi my names Melissa.

I have an olympus e410 and have two lenses already.

I'm looking for a 50 mm portrait lens but don't even know where to start!

I can't afford to spend too much but want to get some nice shots of my little girl on her birthday she's 6 two weeks today.

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for? Xx

Re: Hi all I'm new here - help needed please

Ok, just checked and I have a 14-42mm lens and a 40-150mm lens.

I'm looking to get pictures where the portrait is clear and the background is blurred.

Not sure if I already have what I need or not? :-/

Comment

London Camera had two 25mm F2.8 4/3 lenses in their used equipment. One was a real good price. 25mm being equivalent to 50mm in film camera terms.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Olymp....8_101082.html

and

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Olymp....8_102021.html

Comment

Originally posted by Melava87 View Post
        Ok, just checked and I have a 14-42mm lens and a 40-150mm lens.

I'm looking to get pictures where the portrait is clear and the background is blurred.

Not sure if I already have what I need or not? :-/
        You can use what you have, or get one of the 25mm. to get the out of focus background just make sure she stands away from it a bit.

Comment

For this kind of pic what kind of settings would I need? I've been snap happy and its a good camera I'd just like to know how to use it to its full potential to get some really good pics.
          For example a pic of her in foreground and other people in background blurred?

Comment

Thanks for the links - what difference do you get fro. The 25mm? I wouldn't mind paying the £79.99 that's about my price range - did think I'd have to go second hand x

Comment

Hi I think you are more likely to get what you want, from the 40 to 150mm lens at about 70mm to 80 mm wide open and have her further from the people than from you set the lens wide open as this will give a narrower depth of field.

Ideally the people should be double the distane from her, than she would be from you.

at 25mm at f2.8 she would have to be really close to you and the people would have to be a lot further back. there is a guide calculator on the net you put in the camera and lens f stop and it will calculate the distances for you.

Dave
              My Published Book: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2771168

Comment

Hi Melissa and a warm welcome to the group.

As pvasc says you could well achieve the results you are seeking with the 14-42mm lens you already have. The Olympus data sheet for this lens describes it as having ".. a range of use from medium wide angle to classical telephoto portrait." There are two factors that will help you get the out of focus background. Firstly (as pvasc says) get your subject well in front of the background and secondly use the widest aperture (smallest f number) possible.
                With a wide aperture the depth of focus is reduced (it also decreases with increasing focal length).

I suggest you experiment with this lens before spending money

Set your camera to "Aperture priority (A mode)". This will enable you to set the aperture and the camera will set the shutter speed. Depending on the light you have you may have to increase the ISO setting.

Start with the lens at 42mm and adjust the aperture to f5.6 (the largest aperture available at this focal length). Frame your subject by moving closer to/further from her. Depending on the space you have available you may have to use a shorter focal length and get closer to the subject but you will then be able to increase the aperture as the maximum aperture available increases with decreasing focal length (f 3.5 at 14mm).

Hope this helps.

Regards.
                Edit.
                Here's a link to an online depth of field calculator.http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

ps. Just seen Dave's post which is also sound advice but the focal length you can use will depend on how much space you have e.g depending on whether you are shooting indoors or outdoors.
                Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

If you are confident enough to use manual focus then a 50mm standard lens from film days with a maximum aperture around f1.8 would give you what you want. You'd also need an adapter mount, cheaply available on ebay. Makes of lens to look out for are Nikon, Canon FD, Minolta, Pentax and, of course, Olympus OM plus many more beside. Note that it does need to be a manual focus lens, not AF. You will need to use it in Aperture Priority or Manual exposure modes and of course set it at f1.8 or thereabouts to achieve maximum blurring of the background. .
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

That's a good recommendation John. I got an Oly 50mm f1.8 off ebay a couple of years ago for £9.99 (from the UK) plus an adaptor for £1.99 (new from China!). All worked brilliantly but as you said needs to be used in manual mode.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

I would try the 14-42 at the 42mm setting and using it at one of the smaller f numbers. By focussing on your daughter everything beyond her will be soft and blurry. The bigger the f number the less blurry the background will be. Try experimenting before the event.
                      Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Working...
                      X