Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Olympus Lenses (OM lenses?) and the E-Series

Originally posted by Gazza_DJ View Post
    Any recommendations for some nice OM lenses to look out for?
    Olympus lenses tend to be a bit pricey except for the 50mm f1.8. I have a couple of Tamron Adaptall mulitcoated BBAR lenses which are very good optically and the BBAR build quality is excellent, in fact the 90mm f2.8 macro is hard to beat. I have just bought a 28mm f2.8 absolutely mint for 8. These Tamrons are designed to work with most traditional SLRs via an adapter. You would need an Adaptall to Olympus OM adapter plus the OM to 4/3

Once you start on the legacy lenses you are not limited to Olympus - almost anything (except Canon I believe) can be used via an adapter, and I haven't had any problem with the eBay cheap adapters (about 10)

You may find zooms disappointing, keep to good quality primes and you will have great fun.

Focussing on the Oly isn't too easy via the viewfinder, magnified live view works well but is cumbersome.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_j View Post
      I have a couple of Tamron Adaptall mulitcoated BBAR lenses which are very good optically and the BBAR build quality is excellent, in fact the 90mm f2.8 macro is hard to beat.
      Focussing on the Oly isn't too easy via the viewfinder, magnified live view works well but is cumbersome.
      Another vote for Tamron here I have modified three or four Adaptall/Konica AR adapters to fit my 4/3 cameras. Thus each Tamron has its own adapter - but that is a luxury. That SP90 macro is a very very good lens, its almost as sharp as my 50mm f2 ED, and that is high praise indeed.

OK I do have problems focussing shorter lenses with 4/3 viewfinders and so I stick to the longer ones*, and magnified live view is a big help.

Pete

*I am expecting a Tammie 200 f3.5 to arrive quite soon. Will report back :-)
      Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
        Another vote for Tamron here I have modified three or four Adaptall/Konica AR adapters to fit my 4/3 cameras. Thus each Tamron has its own adapter - but that is a luxury. That SP90 macro is a very very good lens, its almost as sharp as my 50mm f2 ED, and that is high praise indeed.

*I am expecting a Tammie 200 f3.5 to arrive quite soon. Will report back :-)
        What price could one expect to pay for the 90mm Macro in reasonable condition ?

I would be interested in this route as in intro to macro/manual shooting.

Comment

The cheapest I have seen a 90mm f2 zuiko go for is just over 400. I have also seen them offered for considerably more i.e. 700, but this was mint in box. A couple of years ago, I was offered a brand spanking new one from a person I have dealt with previously in Honk Kong for $800, which was a pretty good deal, but I did not have the funds then.

The only OM Zuiko macro lens I have is the 80mm with the dedicated 2 x close up filter. I have never used this lens on my E-cameras, but it is tack sharp on the OM's.

Some years ago I had the Zuiko 20mm F2, which was incredible, but difficult to use. I sold it to finance the purchase of another lens and regret selling it to this day

Cheers, Steve.
          visit my website www.photoark.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by bully74uk View Post
            What price could one expect to pay for the 90mm Macro in reasonable condition ?

I would be interested in this route as in intro to macro/manual shooting.
            If you are talking about the Tamron SP90 macro, then they seem to ebay for 40 to 100 depending on condition and bidding madness. I bought mine for 28 with a focus problem, which I was able to fix

Pete

Comment

If you are talking about the Tamron SP90 macro, then they seem to ebay for 40 to 100 depending on condition and bidding madness. I bought mine for 28 with a focus problem, which I was able to fix

Pete
              It was indeed the Tamron that I was interested in.

Please confirm that I would need the tamron - OM converter and also the OM - E-System converter ?

Also, how does stop down metering work and would I have to use this method with the Tamron ?

Comment

Originally posted by bully74uk View Post
                It was indeed the Tamron that I was interested in.

Please confirm that I would need the tamron - OM converter and also the OM - E-System converter ?

Also, how does stop down metering work and would I have to use this method with the Tamron ?
                Yes, you would need both adapters to fit the Tamron to the E-system.

As to metering: You can use Aperture priority or Manual Mode.

I use Aperture priority myself: Set your preferred ISO first. Open the lens up fully to get the brightest image in the viewfinder, compose and focus your shot. Finally click the aperture ring down to get your desired depth of field and press the shutter.

Some notes: As you stop the aperture down, the screen gets darker, that's why you do it last. Check the shutter speed as you do this. Its easy to end up with camera shake brought on by a slow shutter speed. (You can switch IS on if your camera has it)

Manual mode is similar. First set your ISO and a reasonable shutter speed. Compose and focus. Finally stop the aperture down until the exposure sign (+- in the viewfinder) goes out. That should be the right exposure.

Pete

Comment

Yes, you would need both adapters to fit the Tamron to the E-system.
                  You can get an adapter to fit most mounts to 4/3 so wait and see what A2 mount comes with the lens before you get the 4/3 adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lane View Post

Some years ago I had the Zuiko 20mm F2, which was incredible, but difficult to use.

I have that lens and I have to agree about how difficult it is to use. Even with the lens wide open and with moderate bellows extension the viewfinder is very dark and the depth of field is amazingly shallow. Plus, the magnification is so high that the slightest clumsiness means you've nudged the camera off the subject completely

I'm very far from mastering it but I will persevere

Cheers,

JohnGG

Comment

Working...
                    X