Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Using standard lenses for macro work (Ex-25?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using standard lenses for macro work (Ex-25?)

Originally posted by art frames View Post
    Glyn

I followed yours and Peter's lead and bought the last one for a tenner! I meant to say thanks before as it is a really good find. It has just arrived!

I have a few lenses it works on. Just need a bit of sun and I can play.

Peter
    I'm glad you got one at this price. I don't think you could get an equivalent lens anywhere else for the money. These kind of bargains come and go. Hopefully this is one of the benefits of this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn R View Post
      Just looked. Heritage Cameras are offering the lens too at the price you found. Have a go at this.
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sigma-58mm-ACH...QQcmdZViewItem
      Don't know what's going on here - The earlier 'Jacobs' link led to 'Heritage Cameras', whereas the above 'Heritage Cameras' one leads to a seller 'okwhothrewthatcow'!

Jim Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
        Don't know what's going on here - The earlier 'Jacobs' link led to 'Heritage Cameras', whereas the above 'Heritage Cameras' one leads to a seller 'okwhothrewthatcow'!

Jim Ford
        Jim this link does lead to that page. Its another one on offer at auction. I never left a link for Heritage cameras. I just thought you might like to bid on this one you might get it cheap.

Comment

This is a very old thread, but very relevant to me as I'm looking to make a move into Macro having dipped my toe via the Sigma AML on the end of my 40-150mm, a lens I've now sold within my E420 twin lens kit which I sold to fund macro and maybe wide angle glass for my E3.

I want to take pictures of plants/flowers/insects, would like to avoid having to get too close, don't want anything too big and heavy and would prefer handheld flexibility. I've gathered info from the web and also from people on this forum and the Sigma 105mm would appear to meet the most of my preferences from the manstream choices an Olympus user has.

I have an EC14 and the Sigma 58mm AML so I'm thinking that these add even more flexibility to an already flexible lens. Am I right in thinking that?

Anybody know of issues in using an EC14 or the AML on the with the Sigma 105mm (maybe even at the same time!). The front element is quite deeply recessed on the Sigma 105mm, does that mean the AML isn't compatible?

Thanks for any help.
          Michael.
          E-P3, 14-42, VF-3

Comment

Originally posted by michaelavis View Post
            This is a very old thread, but very relevant to me as I'm looking to make a move into Macro having dipped my toe via the Sigma AML on the end of my 40-150mm, a lens I've now sold within my E420 twin lens kit which I sold to fund macro and maybe wide angle glass for my E3.

I want to take pictures of plants/flowers/insects, would like to avoid having to get too close, don't want anything too big and heavy and would prefer handheld flexibility. I've gathered info from the web and also from people on this forum and the Sigma 105mm would appear to meet the most of my preferences from the manstream choices an Olympus user has.

I have an EC14 and the Sigma 58mm AML so I'm thinking that these add even more flexibility to an already flexible lens. Am I right in thinking that?

Anybody know of issues in using an EC14 or the AML on the with the Sigma 105mm (maybe even at the same time!). The front element is quite deeply recessed on the Sigma 105mm, does that mean the AML isn't compatible?

Thanks for any help.
            Michael

I have all three and they work OK. But to be honest the AML doesn't add anything at this focal length.

You will see most of my gallery macro work uses the 1.4 and 105 combo.

I may be getting the 150 macro eventually as I want a bit faster autofocus.

Peter

this is an example of the combo

Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Peter (artframes) - that is a sensational shot. I'm gloriously envious of it. Just when I thought I was getting 'good'ish' it's nice to see something to aspire to.

Not sure the 150mm will give you a faster autofocus - particularly at close macro distances, the dof is incredibly small - and in the kind of busy environment insects inhabit that seems to really slow the autofocus. But I still reckon it's an excellent lens (now if only Olympus would deliver a long macro that would snap to focus)

Nick
              Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
              www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
                Peter (artframes) - that is a sensational shot. I'm gloriously envious of it. Just when I thought I was getting 'good'ish' it's nice to see something to aspire to.

Not sure the 150mm will give you a faster autofocus - particularly at close macro distances, the dof is incredibly small - and in the kind of busy environment insects inhabit that seems to really slow the autofocus. But I still reckon it's an excellent lens (now if only Olympus would deliver a long macro that would snap to focus)

Nick
                Sad if the better lens doesn't offer the benefits, but would love to try them side by side.

I took this one last week at a local SSSI. My only hints are to move slowly and keep taking the pictures until you can't get any closer. This one had just been eating. It is interesting to see the bits of wings and legs being spat out (not this picture). I personally would like to get closer but then I'd need more equipment and would not be able to hand hold it.

I hope Michael likes dragonflies

peter
                Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Michael.
                  E-P3, 14-42, VF-3

Comment

Just read this old thread and though I should point out that you can get quite decent shots of insects using the humble ZD 40-150mm plus the EX-25. The working distance is reasonable and the combination is light and easily handled. And it works out inexpensive if you already have a 40-150mm.

It does not get you anything like the true larger-than-life macro shots like those above. But you can do things like this:

AlistairJ

alistairj.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn R View Post
                      I see nothing wrong with your choice of lenses. The only comment I have about EX-25 is that autofocus is a waste of time. I now use 50mm OM f3.5 macro with 4/3 adapter plus ebay manual extension tubes. Focus with Live view on my E-330. I dont feel there is any adavantage in using ZD macro because once you get really close focusing is so critical you have to use manual focus anyway.
                      Hi Glynn - I'm very interested in the fact that you use manual extension tubes bought on eBay. There are several suppliers - do you remember from whom you bought your ones? Are they suitable for the Oly E-510? Thanks.
                      Bob
                      Bob

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
                      GEORGE ORWELL

Comment

I now have an EX-25 and ring flash (which is part of our new hire stock), but of course just at the wrong time as interesting insects are rather hard to find at this time of year!

I can use the ring flash on an original 14-54 lens and will be experimenting with this over the weekend, with the 14-54 and EX-25. The FR-1 adapter for the ringflash to fit the 50mm f/2 macro is on order.

Ian
                        Founder and editor of:
                        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                        NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X