Landscape lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Landscape lens

A question on a suitable lens for landscapes. I currently have a 14-52, 40-150, 70-300 and a 35mm macro. The criteria is, as sharp as possible for as cheap as possible with a wide FOV but not distorted like the fish eye. Make doesn't matter but it has to be 4/3 as I am using an E1. All suggestions welcome if such a lens exists. Pancake lens??
    Conor.
    Ever wondered what happens the dark when the light is switched on?

Re: Landscape lens

I suggest you contact Ian re hiring a lens , that way you can decide if this is the lens you want to invest in
    The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Since you have everything covered from 14-300mm, the obvious choice would be the Olympus 9-18mm, or maybe the Sigma 10-20mm. The latter is no longer in production, but occasionally pops up second hand.
      Personally I'd go for (read went for) the 9-18mm.

OK not quite as wide as the 7-14mm, but a darned sight cheaper and it will take graduated filters, which is a useful attribute for a landscape lens.

To do the job even cheaper, you could always use what you've got, take a few exposures and stitch them together.
      Best Regards
      Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
      They're Watching You!

Comment

The 9-18 a good wide angle lens at an attractive price/performance. I think they quite often pop up for sale here (if used is of interest).

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

another vote for the 9-18 .... great piece of glass at an affordable price!
          Just for fun .... www.facebook.com/theextrathird

Comment

I do landscapes and got rid of mt 7-14mm cos it sat in a cupboard for about a year. Most of my pics are taken with the 14-15mm. Just got a 9-18mm which comes out of the bag quite often.
            sigpicDave

Comment

The 9-18 is a useful lens, and of decent quality.
              Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

the cheap option is to use the 35 with a tripod and multiple frames stitched together in post...makes even more sense with the E1

the lens option is as others have said, the 9-18. however, don't rule out the 12-60 which, although not as wide and more expensive, would probably become your most used lens very quickly.
                E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                43 m43 and legacy glass
                loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Agreed re the 12-60. I used it on my E 5 for nearly all my landscape shots. (Not used it since I got the E-M5, which will be going soon I think, got the E-M 1 now)
                  sigpicDave

Comment

Ditto, 12-60 rarely comes off my E-5
                    Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
                    Flickr

Comment

I have the 12-60mm which I use with the E M5; a lovely lens but probably even better weight wise on the E1.

Comment

Price-wise, on a lateral thinking side note... have you thought about an xz-1. It has a 6 - 24mm f1.8 lens and some of the photo's posted on the forum show just how adaptive it is. It also has a built in panorama function - up to 3 shots stitched in camera - as a back-up camera it would be hard to beat and it's pocketable.
                        It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Found this as it may prove useful... or not?

Olympus-XZ-1-10-0-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-Boxed
                          It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Thank you to all who recommended lenses from their experience. This could be a case of penny wise and pound foolish. A used 12-60mm is the lens that makes most sense. I'll try to gather the price of a second hand one. I anyone has one to sell send me a PM.
                            Conor.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                              Found this as it may prove useful... or not?

Olympus-XZ-1-10-0-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-Boxed
                              Thanks Wally, nice of you to put up the link for me but I will stick with the E1 for now.
                              Conor.

Comment

Working...
                              X