• Show
Clear All

• Anyone used the 70-300mm??

I've gotten myself in the bad books this week by owning up to buying the:

Zuiko 50mm F2 Macro lens
    +
    Zuiko 70-300mm lens.

Both ordered this week

Having read the posts with regards the 50mm it sounds like a great lens, but what is the panels verdict on the 70-300mm lens?

cheers

The new kid on the block - Malkovich

Re: Anyone used the 70-300mm??

Hi,

If you look around the gallery you will find some fantastic examples of what this lens can do. I do not have one myself yet but it is on the list. Some people though have reported issues with theirs so worth checking carefully.

Good luck

Comment

Hey Malkovich

Have to say that the Oly 70-300mm is a superb lens - I love mine. Have a look at each of the shots in this link..., all of them were taken with the 70-300mm, plus EC14. The lens is an absolute joy!
      John

Comment

Well from the look of the photo's taken on it, the grief I got for ordering that and the 50mm macro is gonna be worth it

So yeah we're moving house next month and need to buy a new fridge freezer and Suite, but hey i'll be able to take great pictures of them with my new lenses

Malkovich

Comment

Enjoy the 70-300. Anne and I do.

Regards. Barr1e
          Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

I found it to be a quite capable lens - in decent light. It can sometimes struggle to focus in dimmer conditions, and look a little soft at 300mm - again in dull light. But it's great value for money - I only sold mine to part-fund the 50-200 because I was in a position to do so, otherwise I'd still be a happy user.
            Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

The 70-300 is a good value for money lens.
              But yes I agree it can struggle to focus when the light is dim. It can sometimes go to both extremes of its range trying to focus and does hunt.
              It depends on what you are looking to capture with it.
              I have used mine for motorsport and have had some very good shots with it. But it is too slow to focus to try and capture more than one frame.
              On the whole I'm pleased with my 70-300 but I'm looking to buy next a 50-200 SWD. I have tried one and the focus speed made such a difference.

Derek C
              Derek

www.dncphotography.co.uk

Comment

I have the 50-200swd and the 70-300mm.

I do not use the 70-300mm anymore (The wife does sometimes use it)

Because the front rotates, you cannot use a polariser. It is also not weather sealed. It is not a bad lens, but it does tend to focus hunt in lowish light, and you need to step it down.

Comment

I've got the 70-300 and it's a delight.

I haven't any experience of the more expensive lenses, so have nothing to compare it with, but it's enabled me to get some lovely pictures.

I've also got a circular polariser filter, haven't used it with this lens yet, but I can't see it'll be a problem, it works fine with the other 'kit' lenses.
                  - my pictures -

Comment

Just be sure to adjust the pola filter AFTER you've focussed, otherwise the filter will rotate a little and be out of your ideal position.

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                    I've got the 70-300 and it's a delight.

I've also got a circular polariser filter, haven't used it with this lens yet, but I can't see it'll be a problem, it works fine with the other 'kit' lenses.
                    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

I've got the 50-200, version 1, but wish for the 100mm extra for wildlife and extreme tele. Is the 50-200 technically a much better lens than the 70-300?
                      What is my best choice to get the extra range I'm looking for without breaking the bank?

Comment

I have not used the 1st version of the 50-200 only the swd version and found it a lot fast to focus than the 70-300. The 70-300 is good value for money but the the 50-200 has a faster max apeture and faster focussing. If I had the 50-200 I would add a teleconverter, not buy the 70-300.

Derek C
                        Derek

www.dncphotography.co.uk

Comment

But what about image quality wise shooting a plain image on a plain day?

Comment

Originally posted by geirsan View Post
                            But what about image quality wise shooting a plain image on a plain day?
                            The 70-300 is good wide open, but at the long end it's down to f/5.6, and the 50-200 is just as sharp at 200 but at f/3.5. I used a 50-200 last week with the EC-14 converter and it was good, but bigger and bulkier than the 70-300. The 50-200 with that converter makes it a 70-280 f/4.0-5.0.

Ian
                            Founder and editor of:
                            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                            sigpic

Comment

But do you find other things ligth contrast, sharpnes etc. of the same quality, or is there a difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X