Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lens dilemma (Sigma 10-20mm V Oly 11-22mm) & (Sigma 70-200mm V Oly 50-200mm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lens dilemma (Sigma 10-20mm V Oly 11-22mm) & (Sigma 70-200mm V Oly 50-200mm)

Originally posted by Garrie View Post
    Hi all,

Not had chance to take any decent shots with the sigma 10 - 20 itself but got a few with the lens attached to my E510 using Susan's new 35 macro..
    Cheers
    G
    Well, where are the test shots?
    * Henry
    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Re: Lens dilemma (Sigma 10-20mm V Oly 11-22mm) & (Sigma 70-200mm V Oly 50-200mm)

I have the 11-22 and the (old) 50-200 and am very happy with both. I also have the 135-400 and that extra reach is essential for birds, although it needs to be stopped down at the long end to give of its best.

I have three Sigmas in total 55-200, 105 macro and the 135-400 and all share one feature that annoys the hell out of me. The wretched AF/MF switch! It is forever getting shifted when I take lenses in and out of the bag resulting in strained whirring sounds and the focus ring catching my hand - none of which probably does the motor any good. The mechanical manual focus is certainly an improvement on Oly's "fly by wire", but I wish Sigma would make that switch a bit less easy to toggle accidentally.

I also find the matt finish gets marked very easily.

These are relatively minor ergonomics issues for some very good lenses however. Sigma's QC is often derided, but all three of mine seem to be very good copies as far as I can tell.

My only other thought is: "Are the 10-20 and 70-200 weather sealed?"
      Hugh of Bardfield
      Essex, UK
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughofbardfield/
      http://hughweller-lewisphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
        Well, where are the test shots?
        I've posted a few on this site. Not had chance to take a huge amount yet, unfortunatly I am very busy

Will get round to it though

Comment

Thanks Garrie, saw them fantastic shots. How do the 10-20 compares to the zuiko 11-22?

Unfortunately, HughofBardfield, those Sigma are not weather sealed. Don't think the 50-500 is sealed either. The 55-200...is there a switch? Not too sure on that.

The 135-400..with the switch on or off, that focusing ring moves during focusing. This is really annoying. While that is annoying to some shooters, I loved that AM.MF switch in the 18-50..I actually missed it. I would AF in my panorama then switch to MF for the sequence. Can't do that with my Leica or my Zuiko.
          * Henry
          * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

i have the sigma 10-20mm lens and it is sharpe and seems well built i'll post some pics wen i work out how

Comment

Working...
            X