Oly Macro Lens 35 Vs 50mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oly Macro Lens 35 Vs 50mm

Both have a reputation for being slow focus and not so good in poor light.

I'm want to buy one and can see no advantage in going Sigma route.

Intended use: pin sharp flora and fauna and some portrait.

Can I have your considered opinions please?
    David Styles

Re: Oly Macro Lens 35 Vs 50mm

oh dear - posted in the wrong area. Help!
    David Styles

Comment

never mind the area...

I would think (but don't have it) that the 35 would be a bit too close for portrait work

Regards
      Andy
      My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
      4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
      m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
      FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
      The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
      http://www.shenstone.me.uk
      http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
      https://vimeo.com/shenstone
      http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

I've moved it to the Lens Focus area for you.

Regarding the lenses, the 50mm is legendary for it's sharpness and IQ but the 35mm is no slouch and is a real bargain. You do get a better working distance with the 50mm and it's worth the extra if you can afford it. Either lens might be a bit too sharp for portraits, unless your subject has perfect, flawless skin!

Focus is slow but for a lot of macro work this isn't a problem. Manual focusing using magnified live view is often better anyway.
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

That's a really good starting point. I'm off to NYC next week and I'll try out both in B&H Photo Video.

At today's exchange the 35mm is 118 and the 50mm is 277 and you always get a chunk off in store as well.
          David Styles

Comment

The 35 is good for portraits as well as being an excellent macro lens. It is very light and moderatly priced. I find it really good on an EP 2 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
              I've moved it to the Lens Focus area for you.

Focus is slow but for a lot of macro work this isn't a problem. Manual focusing using magnified live view is often better anyway.
              In defence of the 50mm's focusing speed - I find it perfectly acceptable (on a E510) when doing a group of shots at roughly the same distance. It is when you want to go straight (for example) from infinity to macro that it looses its way and can take for ever. In other words it would benefit from a focus limiting switch, but with sensible use there is no problem.

However it can take a while on the P1, but the results are so good that I still use it on that camera.

Incdently I always use single point AF when close up, and chose my own critical point of the image

Roger

Comment

Single point AF yes I'd agree that may be the best solution.

Thanks
                David Styles

Comment

Arrrgh

Bought the 35mm Macro in B&H (New York) at around 100.

Then flew down to Grenada took a few pictures in the hotel room. Okay but low light so not great.

Next day - outside, wife can't get it to focus on her E410

Popped it onto my camera at tried to reset lens - didn't work.

It clicks like the drive motor is somehow not on the right cog. No focus at macro or infinity.

I'm grateful that the warranty is an international one but what a right royal pain in the Harris.
                  David Styles

Comment

In my opinion, the big difference is f:2.0 vs f:3.5. With f.2.0 you will be able to use lower ISO (=less noise) and control better the out of focus areas..

Comment

Slow focusing on the 50mm can be frustrating but as I use mine mainly for macro on MF this is not usually a problem. Although the 50mm is bright at f2 who uses that for macro work? Although a little softer and with some AF problems in low light the 70-300 is still very hard to beat!

David
                      PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

I find the 35mm a great lens for both macro (its very sharp) and portraits, compared to the 50mm i suppose the f2 vs f3.5 is a major difference, but then on the other hand the 35mm can do 1:1 macro and the 50mm can only do 1:2
                        E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

Comment

I have both and for portrait work there is no contest between the two, the 50mm wins hands down every time.

What you have to remember is the two times factor of 4/3's,not only for focal length but also for depth field.

So while 35mm (70mm) is not the ideal focal length for portraits it is usable if not to close to the subject. But it is the f3.5 (nearly f8) that is the problem as throwing backgrounds out of focus is a lot harder with the 35 mm.

Outdoor portrait taken with the 50mm at f2.5, with the 35mm that background would have been a lot more distracting.

Although the 50mm is bright at f2 who uses that for macro work?
                          That would be me David, for the more abstract/artistic macro work.

50mm at f2

Regards Paul.
                          One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Hi -

I've got both.

The 50 is nothing less than extraordinary, but "only" does 1:2 (1/2 life size), while the 35 does 1:1. For serious macro work, there is no substitute.

I do watch photography with the 35+Ring-LED light. Awesome results.

The 50 is, however, the lens to choose if you're only choosing one. The greater working distance is also important out in the real world...

JohnF

Comment

Focus speed is relative of course, I actually find the 50mm quite quick compared to my Sigma 150 (even with the focus limiter engaged).

I believe every 4/3 user should at least try the 50mm, it's a stunning little lens
                              Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                              Capture One Pro
                              My flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X