Bristol Cameras experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol Cameras experience

This is not specifically about Olympus-gear, but as this retailer does sell Olympus kit, my experience may still be of general interest.

I ordered a new compact camera online from Bristol Cameras at the beginning of June, wanting it for going away on the 20th. (just a quick city break, didn't want to take the full kitbag) I had an acknowledgement email from a no-reply address. Website stated delivery within 3-5 business day, which duly came and went with no delivery. I was generous and gave them a few more days, before phoning up to check on the status of things.

"Oh", quoth the guy who answered, "that's out of stock right now, you should have been updated about that." I agreed that this would have been nice, and when were they expecting said new stock? When it transpired that it would not be in time for me going away, I said I'd have to cancel the order and could they refund my credit card please. No problem, it would be done right away.

So I went away (having got my compact from WEX instead), came back, and today in comes my credit card statement. No refund. This some 10 days after my cancellation, so plenty of time to have done so. Annoyingly, they don't have an email address. I was going to send my original receipt/acknowledgement with all the details, but no, had to phone up again instead.

Explained the situation, where was my refund? "Oh" quoth the guy (same guy? don't know, was silly enough not to take a name the first time) "that order is still live". Well I made it clear that it should NOT be, and I was a bit miffed at both the utter lack of communication on all occasions through this process, and the fact that they owed me a refund I would now have to pay off this month before getting it back.

He did apologise (and I took names this time!), and said it would be done today. I have subsequently had another no-reply email confirming this, so it's finally looking hopeful.

However, I won't be dealing with them again. One screw-up you may excuse, two on the same order starts to look like sloppy business practice. And not being contactable by email, when you want to send a 'paper trail' of evidence, is surely unacceptable in this day and age. Phone conversations alone, as shown by this experience, are often not good enough, as they may not be acted upon. So I'm unimpressed, and will be sticking to my tired & tested retail sources in future.

As ever, your experience may be different, but that was mine...
    Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

Re: Bristol Cameras experience

A tad late, but it may be worth checking out shop reviews here: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/V...ristol-Cameras

Comment

Originally posted by Clockwork Donkey View Post
        A tad late, but it may be worth checking out shop reviews here: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/V...ristol-Cameras
        Thanks. I wasn't aware of that section of that site, although I use it for price comparisons. I shall add my voice to the poor reviews!
        Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

Have used them 3 or 4 times and no issues so far.

They processed one exchange for me without a hitch.

I did communicate with them through email as well on shop@bristolcameras.co.uk so you should be able to deal with them on email.

Comment

I had an issue with them several years ago. I can't remember the details but I vowed never to buy from them again. I remember it being a not very pleasant experience

Edit: The lack of an email address rings a loud bell.

Steve
            Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
            Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
            My website

Comment

Working...
            X