E510 to E620 upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E510 to E620 upgrade?

I am considering upgrading my E510 to an E620. I know the viewfinder, flexible live view screen and AF points will all be better. In camera format cropping and 'art' filters are of no real interest to me.
    Am I going to notice any real difference, with regard to image quality over the E510? Is noise more visible? If anyone has made the switch, I would love to know what they think.

Re: E510 to E620 upgrade?

Originally posted by Ken Lister View Post
    I am considering upgrading my E510 to an E620. I know the viewfinder, flexible live view screen and AF points will all be better. In camera format cropping and 'art' filters are of no real interest to me.
    Am I going to notice any real difference, with regard to image quality over the E510? Is noise more visible? If anyone has made the switch, I would love to know what they think.

I am in the same boat, and would also be interested in a direct comparison of these two.. :-)

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Sorry No E-510. I switch over from the E-330 to the E-620. In one worrd, I am not extremely happy.

The move got me additional AF points (but then I use only 1.) It got me 4.5FPS, A bigger buffer, More angle from that rotating LCD. There is now Art Filters to play with. Also it's a move from 7.5Mp to 12Mp.

On the not so plus side, My Raw Shooter now don't work, Arcsoft Panorama Maker now won't recognize the ORF.( I have to work with JPG now) I have to upgrade my old Pentium PC as it won't develop the shots fast enough.

On the Image Quality, ISO 200 on the E-620 is better than my E-330..but then E-330's ISO 100 is much much smoother. There is also a presence of grains at all levels. It becomes more when the SAT is switched on.

There is also a tendency of the camera trying to bring out details in dark areas..it comes out in little red dots. You have to pixel peep to see them.
      This is an example of what I am talking about.

(Please click the image to get the full size.)

I am not sure if it's the same with the other Oly cameras or if it's only on mine.
      * Henry
      * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Hi
        I have the same dilemma.
        Have you seen the e620 reviews by Mr Wrotniak and Cameralabs?
        Interesting reading.
        I have an e30 reserved at Jessops until the weekend but I'm honestly still not quite sure if the e620 will be more than adequate for what I do. Either way I do like the idea of the flexible lcd!
        Kevin
        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
          Sorry No E-510. I switch over from the E-330 to the E-620. In one worrd, I am not extremely happy.

The move got me additional AF points (but then I use only 1.) It got me 4.5FPS, A bigger buffer, More angle from that rotating LCD. There is now Art Filters to play with. Also it's a move from 7.5Mp to 12Mp.

On the not so plus side, My Raw Shooter now don't work, Arcsoft Panorama Maker now won't recognize the ORF.( I have to work with JPG now) I have to upgrade my old Pentium PC as it won't develop the shots fast enough.

On the Image Quality, ISO 200 on the E-620 is better than my E-330..but then E-330's ISO 100 is much much smoother. There is also a presence of grains at all levels. It becomes more when the SAT is switched on.

There is also a tendency of the camera trying to bring out details in dark areas..it comes out in little red dots. You have to pixel peep to see them.
          This is an example of what I am talking about.

(Please click the image to get the full size.)

I am not sure if it's the same with the other Oly cameras or if it's only on mine.
          First, do you have Gradation set to 'Auto' or 'Normal' - I recommend the latter.

Also, is the Noise Filter (Not Noise Reduction, which is something else) set to OFF, LOW, STANDARD, or HIGH?

Ian
          Founder and editor of:
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
          sigpic

Comment

I have taken the liberty of downloading the linked JPEG and having a look at it. Is this the original camera JPEG, or have you already done some work on it?

I feel the image is under exposed, possibly because the meter was biased by the bright areas on the foreground plane. There is an exposure shift setting of -1/6th EV, which doesn't help. The highlights have plenty of headroom, so a longer exposure would have helped the shadows.

I realise you were using 'P' Program full auto mode, but the exposure of f/9 and 1600th sec. also suggests to me that ISO 400 which you used was too high. ISO 200, or even 100, would have been more suitable. At ISO 100 you could have shot this image at f/6.3 and 1/500th and got a much better result, I feel.

Do you have RAW files of these frames?

Ian
            Founder and editor of:
            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
            sigpic

Comment

Hi Ken and Pete,

I went E500, E510 to E520 (which I still have) I also had an E300 and a Canon 450D with 17-85mm USM and I am honestly really happier with my E-620.

Differences between the E-520 and E-620 regarding IQ. Well not sure I'm qualified to carry out an in depth analysis. Wrotniak, if I remember, basically says its a very close call. Me, well I was just lucky I have an understanding wife who lets me spend probably more than I should, but I wouldnt go back to the E-520, even though it is a very capable camera.

With regard too noise. I tried the E-30 at a OUKPSG meet. For me it wasnt quite right in my hands - very personal I know. But the images I took seem to be very noisey. I was worried the E-620 would suffer the same way. However, I am convinced the poor performance of the E-30, worse than some of the above examples, was down to operator error - or if I am being kind to myself - operator unaware of all the fine settings. Looking at the excellent pictures from other members such as Barry Norman proves how good the E-30 is.

I went for the E-620 over the E-30 because of the feel. I am also very pleased with the IQ. As Ian is establishing, you do need to know how to set it up to get the best out of it.

Also, while on the meet in Stamford, someone (I think it was Chris Cooper) commented on how I was extensively using liveview, at the end of an outstretched hand, combined with the articulating screen. He said something like ... "You just can't describe how useful it is to someone. You have experience it" (or something just as philosophical)

Regarding software, the ORFs can be easily converted using Adobe's stand alone Raw converter before using in your favourite program, so you shouldnt be limited to RAW.

Processing power of PC ... the files are bigger than an E300 because of the increased resoulution, but not that much of a problem moving from an E-510.

Here's my latest image, which I am very pleased with, but I also have a link to the images by other happy E-620 owners on Flickr.

Flickr E-620 Group

Finally I would conclude it is very difficult to go from E-520 to E-620. If you do you need a really good story for your wife.

From E-510 back, they say the decision should be a little easier. However I had an E-510 which I kept in preference to the Canon 450D (12.3M + 17-85mm USM) !

I'm not helping - Am I

Regards

Graydon
              My RedBubble pages

Comment

Thanks Mr Ian. The Gradation is set to Normal. The noise Filter is On and noise reduction is Off.

Looks like I need to relearn the whole setting stuff for this E-620. I can shoot underexposed with my E-330 and still achieve pretty acceptable results. This E-620 is a totally different beast.
                * Henry
                * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                  Thanks Mr Ian. The Gradation is set to Normal. The noise Filter is On and noise reduction is Off.

Looks like I need to relearn the whole setting stuff for this E-620. I can shoot underexposed with my E-330 and still achieve pretty acceptable results. This E-620 is a totally different beast.
                  hey blu! (apa macam!)

from your settings and your experience i have the impression that the noise filter can be the culprit? i am praying hard to one day get my upgrade from e410 to the e620...

wahlau.

Comment

I have done 'just that' from 510 to 620, after a lot of deliberation as to other options.

Alll I can say is after 1,300 E620 photos c/f 900 E500 and 3,400 E510 photos, there has been a bigger jump in quality E510 to E620 than E500 to E510. My default lens is the Panasonic 14 to 150 lens but have several others, including the Oly 1 to 14 f4 lens.

I always shhot RAW and have been amazed with how I have been able to 'pull in' detail on 'difficult' images, including contre-jour and low light (although noise is still a problem here especailly at higher ISO settings).

Just had the ultimate accolade from my daughter who described a photo of 'The angel of the north' taken last week in poor light as awsome. Never had such praise before!

So, one very satisfied customer (almost - I have always been a 'low light' photographer. Anyone remember pushing Tri-X to 3,200 ASA?)

Ian

Comment

I went E-520 to E-620 and also have an E-3. Suffice it to say that I'm now selling my E-3. The E-620 seems to be able to get more out of the pro lenses, the viewfinder is better than the E-520 (though nowhere near as good as the E-3), and it just feels "right". I too am not really interested in the filters, though they are very well executed, as I shoot RAW. But for me it's the camera which should have been the next step from the E-510, not the E-520.
                      Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Hi I have been reading all your comments, I am also a member of another 4/3rds group that did some tests with both e620 and e30's and they sugested settings as if using jpeg superfine mode set sharpening to -1 or -2 noise filter off or at least low with higher iso setting above 400 as sharpening in camera on jpegs with bring out any noise visibly, and to shoot ev +.3 above iso 200, as noise appears at ev0 or lower as these cameras appear to under expose a little for reasons only oly knows.
                        Also they tested against the e3 and found that they were around the same noise levels as the e3 but without the banding issue of the e3, I have seen images done on the e30 at iso 3200 and they do seem noisey straight out of the camera but whern processed they cleaned up very well with very little to no detail loss, then sharpened up after and looked excellent, they rpocess of how he acheived this can be seen on the depreview forum by Brian Mosley,showing a step by step of what he did and what the image lokked at each stage.

Dave
                        My Published Book: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2771168

Comment

I don't know about Snaarman, but I ,at least, am sold on the idea of a new E620.
                          Free battery and grip are the deal clinchers. Now, how do I justify it to my wife?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Lister View Post
                            Now, how do I justify it to my wife?
                            Could you tell her the E-510 is broken and with the special offers around now and the threat of VAT going up you'd be mad not to buy an E-620?

May be you could let her decide the replacement between an E-3 or an E-620 ... you'll have to respect her decision and put up with the cheaper machine because you love her.

Or maybe you're developing RSI and purchasing the E-620 will help you with this, being a different shape and much lighter.

It has been proven that photos of wives look better when taken on the E-620 - Fact*

You could bide your time and next time she wants something you could ... no come to think of it, that didnt work for me.

okay maybe someone else could think of a better reason ....

(*I'm lying of course)
                            My RedBubble pages

Comment

Originally posted by ianinsuffolk View Post
                              ... Anyone remember pushing Tri-X to 3,200 ASA?)

Ian
                              yep...looks like the only excuse not toget a 620 is the money...best deal on a body in the UK folks?
                              chris
                              shetland

Comment

Working...
                              X