E620 viewfinder vs E1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E620 viewfinder vs E1

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/view-size.html, but this doesn't show the viewfinder for the E1. I know the E1 viewfinder will be bigger, but by how much I don't know. Thing is, I won't be able to go a camera shop in the near future to compare it myself either.

Can anyone who knows both give me a comment, how is the E620 viewfinder size relative to the E1?

Many thanks.
    Cheers

Padgreen

E-1 100% 0.96x 12.48x16.6 207.2

Comment

Re: E620 viewfinder vs E1

Thanks for the information. I was surprised to see that the E30 has a bigger viewfinder than the E1. How are you finding it?
      Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Hopefully I will pick the E-30 up Friday and have a long weekend to play with it! The local camera store had an Oly day last Saturday so could try various combo's and I just felt the 30 suited better than the 620 - but I could imageing it is a personal thing and there was nothing to dislike about the 620 and certainly times when its size would be an advantage.

With respect to viewfinders - yes the 30 was a bit better than the 620 but I was surprised looking at through the 620 next to the 450 there was an improvement it just looked cleaner, maybe the display at bottom or something!

Dave

Comment

Dave

Once you've had the chance to play with your new E30, I'd be very interested to read of your impressions of how it compares to the E1, particularly as I've read on the Olympus website that you can change the E30 clear viewfinder for a grid - I've got one on my E1.

Thanks.
          Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

is that from the horses mouth? I would think the E-3 has much longer to run before a replacement arrives, since the E-30 was a stop gap, and Oly seem to be concentrating on M4/3, now that the 620 and 450 are out also.
            Has there been any leaks from Olympus? I can't see it being much of a jump from E-3 to E-X as there was from E-1 to E-3, with todays technology.

Comment

No, I don't have any particular information. Just wishful thinking and reporting what the various rumour sites say about an E3 replacement. Olympus took a long time with the E3 and it will be two years old this autumn. I'd hope that a new model will be forthcoming, or at least an annoucement, sometime soon.

I also don't think that the micro 4/3rds annoucement can be taken that Olympus won't be doing anything else with the current range, at least I hope not.
              Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

I thought the price of the e-30 had gone down significantly?

Comment

Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Horses for courses so they say

I went for the E-30 as I do a fair bit of work in the studio - no need for weatherproofing, and the weight saving will help compared to the E-3 and as you said it has the new goodies.
                    Compared to E-620 it was little things like the 30 has a PC sync socket! although I use remote triggers for flash I have been caught out with a trigger failiure and the use of a lead saved the day! and according to the spec it can focus in lower light could help at events etc..

I will keep one of the E-1's so will still have a wet day camera

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by padgreen View Post
                      The level guage is pretty important to me - I use an E1 and for some reason I don't understand my shots frequently have a slightly out horizon.
                      That is simply soved with a Hotshoe spirit level

Personally, I would prefer this to an electronic one in the camera (no cluttering up of the LCD screen) and certainly not a feature to be basing a purchase decision on (IMO).

Steve
                      Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                      Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                      My website

Comment

I've got a hotshoe spirt level like the one you linked to - fine if you're using a tripod but totally useless if you are hand holding the camera and looking through the viewfinder.

I am aware that Seculine make an electronic one and claim that you can still see the level lights when looking through the viewfinder, but I haven't had a chance to check one out yet:

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Gear/S...spirit-level-/

However, even that is not ideal if you want to attach a GPS unit to the hotshoe when out shooting.

I wouldn't say that I would totally base a purchasing decision on whether a camera has got a built in level, but when evaluating models given that this feature is now available it is certainly high up my priority list.
                        Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Hi Padgreen,

I think your reasoning is very sensible, considering your specific requirements and the type of photography you do.

However, I think that the E3, for photographers with slightly different priorities, still offers terrific features and performance with excellent value for money.

It really is a case of us each having our own individual priorities for camera features and we must base our choice on those, rather than other people's opinions - although an informed second opinion is always helpful.

On that basis I would say your plan to purchase a 620 as a stop gap is sound, provided the viewfinder meets your requirements. Even if it doesn't maintain its value as you hope, it would continue to serve as a useful back up to a future professional E sries body.

One thing is certain, we are now spoilt for choice in the E-System line up!
                          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Hi

My reasoning hasn't held up to actual scrunity of the cameras. Having read the responses to my initial post, particularly about the E30, I decided to spend a few hours this afternoon having a look at the E620, E30 and E3.

First up, this pretty much reconfirmed what I thought about the E3. It is the best of the bunch, it's weather sealed and the viewfinder is great. That said, my earlier reservations still apply.

I was very impressed with the E30. The viewfinder was very good and the camera felt good. The only thing I had against it really was the lack of weather sealing and, ironically given my earlier comments, I found the level to be a bit annoying. I suspect that may be lack of knowledge about how to use it though. In one shop I spent ages going through the menu's and couldn't find a way to turn it on. In another, the dealer helpfully got out the manual. However, then the viewfinder data display seemed to alternate between displaying the exposure data and displaying the level and I couldn't find a way to make it display the level when I wanted it too.

I then looked at the E620. It reminded me of my old OM1, except for the viewfinder, which was was too small for my purposes. That said, I thought the viewfinder was a big improvement on the E520, E420. I also thought the E620 was too small to use with a lens like the 14-54mm Mk1: in my hands I thought it was unbalanced with that attached. So I've pretty much ruled out the E620 from further consideration. That said, I still thought the E620 was a great camera especially if you wanted something small and light to use with the 25 mm pancake.

So now I'm not quite sure what to do. A second hand E3 is one possibility, providing I can get one at a good price. I'm also thinking about the E30, not as a stop gap but as an alternative and trying to decide how much I really need the E3's weather proofing - I don't shoot a lot in foul weather, but I do sometimes. So at the moment I'm not sure.

On a negative note though, one dealer said he was expecting a price increase from Olympus sometime soon.
                            Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X