Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carl Zeiss Jena lenses

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
    Looks like you can get Contax adapters for both big and micro 4/3rds from our friends at SRB-Griturn - see http://www.srb-griturn.com/camera-bo...body-324-c.asp

They make their own at around GBP40 for micro or GBP25 for big 4/3, and import Novoflex ones for a hundred or so. I've dealt with them a couple of times and found them excellent, and would have no hesitation in using their own adapters. I've just got a few bits and bobs from them for joining cameras to telescopes and everything seems fine.

Ciao ... John
    Bob

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
    GEORGE ORWELL

Comment

I think you can see from your results that it's a great lens. Only time and more play will tell you how and when you'd want to use it. If it were mine I'd hang on to it as an investment and a good user. Are your friends going to let you have it, or will they sell?

Comment

I really was seriously impressed with it! The results were far, far better than I thought I'd get, considering they were all taken hand held on a very overcast and rainy day. The few I took indoors I managed to take at ISO 400, which is a first in that room without flash!

I found the focussing particularly difficult in dim light, so I had a few wasted shots, but I think that was more down to my eyesight than the lens. As I was on a day out with my friends, I couldn't spend time messing around with a tripod, so I had to grab them as and when I could. I think if I used my tripod and spent some more time setting the shots up then I could achieve much better results with it. They do very well at humouring me with my camera obsession, but there are limits to their patience, especially on what was supposed to be a family day out! All in all though, I was pretty pleased with my first outing using a manual lens.

I found the focussing ring rather stiff compared with my Oly lenses, or indeed the other Prinzflex lens that they found with the camera - it was certainly very smooth though, so I'm not sure if that's the way it's supposed to be or if perhaps the lens would benefit from a service? I can whizz the focus ring round quickly on all my other lenses, but this was a tad slower. I also found the lens rather heavy, but that's only a minor niggle...it really was a pleasure to use.

I have the lens now and I'm going to try and take some more considered shots with it at the weekend. I have to admit I've fallen in love with it, but if it does turn out to be valuable/collectible then I think my friends would be foolish not to sell for the best return they can get.

Basically I'm hoping to try and find out the going rate for this lens, and then take it from there. I'm sure they'll be open to negotiations to keep it in the family!

Janet
        My flickr photostream....

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
          I really was seriously impressed with it! The results were far, far better than I thought I'd get, considering they were all taken hand held on a very overcast and rainy day. The few I took indoors I managed to take at ISO 400, which is a first in that room without flash!

I found the focussing particularly difficult in dim light, so I had a few wasted shots, but I think that was more down to my eyesight than the lens. As I was on a day out with my friends, I couldn't spend time messing around with a tripod, so I had to grab them as and when I could. I think if I used my tripod and spent some more time setting the shots up then I could achieve much better results with it. They do very well at humouring me with my camera obsession, but there are limits to their patience, especially on what was supposed to be a family day out! All in all though, I was pretty pleased with my first outing using a manual lens.

I found the focussing ring rather stiff compared with my Oly lenses, or indeed the other Prinzflex lens that they found with the camera - it was certainly very smooth though, so I'm not sure if that's the way it's supposed to be or if perhaps the lens would benefit from a service? I can whizz the focus ring round quickly on all my other lenses, but this was a tad slower. I also found the lens rather heavy, but that's only a minor niggle...it really was a pleasure to use.

I have the lens now and I'm going to try and take some more considered shots with it at the weekend. I have to admit I've fallen in love with it, but if it does turn out to be valuable/collectible then I think my friends would be foolish not to sell for the best return they can get.

Basically I'm hoping to try and find out the going rate for this lens, and then take it from there. I'm sure they'll be open to negotiations to keep it in the family!

Janet
          For you first outing you certainly started with with a 'gem' - as they say. Focusing is always going to be tricky on the 520, especially in low light, but you get used to it after a while.
          The focus is often stiff on these if they've been put a way for a while - the grease dries out. If it's useable I'd leave it as it is, if not it can be re-lubed easily enough.
          A word of warning.... if you like this sort of lens it's a slippery slope to a cupboard full of them!
          I hope you get to keep it, but if it is the Contax 'S' version your friends should do very nicely from its sale... a couple of E5s worth.

Comment

Quick update - I've emailed two dealers, and just had an email from one of them, saying that according to factory records, this lens was originally manufactured in Contax bayonet mount and was part of a batch completed on January 29th 1949. It's obviously been modified for M42 somewhere along the way...

I'd sent some sample pics taken with the lens to show the quality, but now he's asked me to send some photos of the lens so that he can give me an idea of his buying price. At least he didn't simply say that he wasn't interested!

I really hope it's rather low, as I SOOOoooooo don't want to part with it now!

Janet

Comment

(I've only got this info in a text message...will find out more when we chat).

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                Quick update - I've emailed two dealers, and just had an email from one of them, saying that according to factory records, this lens was originally manufactured in Contax bayonet mount and was part of a batch completed on January 29th 1949. It's obviously been modified for M42 somewhere along the way...

I'd sent some sample pics taken with the lens to show the quality, but now he's asked me to send some photos of the lens so that he can give me an idea of his buying price. At least he didn't simply say that he wasn't interested!

I really hope it's rather low, as I SOOOoooooo don't want to part with it now!

Janet
                Janet, I don't think that can't be right - the Contax/Yashica bayonet as we know it today didn't exist in 1949 - it wasn't introduced until the 1970s. A 1949 Contax camera would have been M42... see Camerapedia

It's possible it might be in the pre-war Contax Rangefinder bayonet fitting, but I'd be surprised if anyone converted that to M42 to be honest.

Lastly, I'm a bit concerned that you've referred to them as 'Carl Zeiss Jena' - is that name actually on the lenses? or are they marked 'Carl Zeiss aus Jena'? The 'aus Jena' designation wasn't used until at least the mid-1960s.

Do you have any photos of the lenses? That would ease identification.

It might be an idea if you were to contact Marc James Small, best known as co-author of the Zeiss Compendium. He can usually be contacted via the PUGW (Praktica User Group Worldwide) Yahoo Group or via rangefinderforums.com
                E-600, E-500, E-330, Zuiko 14-42mm(Mk1 & Mk2), Zuiko 40-150mm, Zuiko 18-180mm, Zuiko 35mm Macro, loads of Rollei/Voigtlander QBM, Praktica PB, M42, Exakta and OM-fit legacy glass
                My Flickr

Comment

Hi Lord Minty, and thanks for the reply.

I've confirmed with Zeiss that the lens did actually leave the factory in Contax mount in January 1949, and the previous owner confirmed yesterday it was adapted for M42. I don't have any more details about that until I speak to my friend. I do hope he asked what fitting it had originally, but as he knows nothing about cameras, I rather suspect not, However I have compared it to the other two lenses, and the screw thread is indeed slightly longer than the thread on the other two M42 lenses.

Yes, the name Carl Zeiss Jena is on the lens....

Here's a link to the full set of photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetst...th/5249172157/

I'll try the contact you mentioned for some more information.

Thanks again.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 18th December 2010, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Nice to see the lens up close and the mystery solved, that dent is an easy fix.
                    Good luck with the 'negotiations'. They should go well - It's nearly Christmas.

Comment

Hi Janet, yes I found the photos after I'd replied I really should read the threads properly!

Yes it certainly looks like a lens from around 1949. Must admit I'm really surprised it was remounted to M42, so it must have been a Contax Rangefinder bayonet lens originally.

Please do contact Marc - I'm sure he'll be able to cast some light on the lens and if not he'll add it to his very extensive knowledge of Zeiss! And it may still be that you've uncovered a real gem of a lens here
                      E-600, E-500, E-330, Zuiko 14-42mm(Mk1 & Mk2), Zuiko 40-150mm, Zuiko 18-180mm, Zuiko 35mm Macro, loads of Rollei/Voigtlander QBM, Praktica PB, M42, Exakta and OM-fit legacy glass
                      My Flickr

Comment

I'm going to talk to him very, very nicely and ply him with copious amounts of Guinness! I really, really don't want to part with it now...I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement...hopefully!

The dent doesn't worry me in the slightest, as it doesn't affect the image quality and I can't see me wanting to put a filter on the lens. I've cleaned all the dust off, but other than that I've left it alone. If I do end up as the new owner, I'll probably look at finding someone to give it a thorough service.

I've tried contacting Marc as you suggested. It seems he's no longer active on the rangefinder forum, and I'm still waiting to be accepted on the PUGW group. I do hope they're not like the manual focus forum who banned me after one post assuming I'd simply joined to get a price and sell.

It certainly is a gem of a lens, and one that I don't want to part with. However, I'm going to continue with my research for a little while longer, just in case...

It's not always easy getting the focus right, but I'm sure that will come with time and practice...I think I should perhaps have bought the adapter with the AF confirmation to compensate for my poor eyesight, but hey, I'm stuck with it now! However, when I do manage it, the results are outstandingly sharp and clear. When time allows, I'll try and do some comparison shots with my other lenses.

It's far heavier than any of my Oly lenses, but it's an absolute pleasure to use. I'm not sure what it is about it though...is it just a nostalgia thing? Whatever, I'm having a lot of fun trying it out..it's a bit of a faff getting all the settings right, but I'm learning a lot about aperture, exposure and DOF in the process, which can't be a bad thing!

Janet

Comment

Well, after copious amounts of Guinness and a bit of haggling, the lens is now mine to keep! Yaaaaayyyyy! We've negotiated what we both feel is a fair price, so I can stop my research now, thank goodness!

Janet

Comment

Pleased you got the lens Janet.
                            It's been fascinating following your roller coaster journey from first "finding" the lens, researching it, discovering how good it is and even finding it's original owner. You deserve it.

Thanks for sharing a great story.
                            Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                            OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                            Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Thanks Peter! Yes, it has been a bit of a roller coaster ride...I so wanted to keep the lens after using it, but felt it only right and proper to try and find out a bit of its history and get a fair price for my friend as it was obvious that this wasn't just an ordinary lens.

I'm sure there are some who would say that it isn't anything special, but I love the results I'm getting from it, and it's a nice feeling to be able to get it back into use after all those years lying forgotten.

I'm just delighted that we agreed a price and it won't now be sold on e-Bay. Much better to keep it "in the family" and carry on using it. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                              X