e-520 save custom settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-520 save custom settings?

Hi, I'm getting used to this camera a little now, but one seemingly easy task doesn't seem to work. I change one or multiple camera settings (noise reduction to low for example), should these settings be saved when the camera is switched off? I've tried looking at the CUSTOM RESET menu option and MY MODE 1 and 2 but it all seems disabled. If I look at pg 89 in the manual it says MY MODE is an option for the Fn key...not on mine...there is no option, it just goes from TEST PICTUE to OFF.

Am I missing something? Is there some override that is stopping me change the settings? Just to confirm when I switch the camera off it just goes back to default.

Thanks in advance!
    cheers David

Re: e-520 save custom settings?

David, are you by any chance in "Auto" or one of the scene modes?

As far as I know altered settings are only retained in M-S-A-P modes.
    Similarly with the Custom re-set settings.

Don't have a 520, but it works that way on my 620.

Welcome to the e-group by the way.
    Best Regards
    Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
    They're Watching You!

Comment

It is as you describe with the E-520 Bill. Options greyed out in Auto mode.
      David

Flickr

Comment

I thought that I could set various options up with the fn key, but I can't for the life of me figure out how!

The manual is about as much use as a chocolate teapot...

Janet
        My flickr photostream....

Comment

Janet

Menu Spanner 1 Spanner B (Button/Dial) Fn Function Select with up/down buttons OK to save

I have set mine to DoF Preview
          David

Flickr

Comment

Cheers David! That was SO simple compared to the non-existent instructions in the manual!

Not quite sure how to use it though? Unfortunately I can't try it as my battery just died!

Can't complain though - almost two weeks and 600 shots before it turned up its toes...

Janet
            My flickr photostream....

Comment

THANKS!

Thanks for the replies. OK, I was either in auto mode or scene mode, I'll try again later and see what I can do. I've looked around for "best settings" on the interweb and I've seen a few references....does anyone here have any good "best of, all round settings for everyday shots"?

Thanks again for the help, you're all really very helpful and welcoming.

Cheers David

Comment

Originally posted by davidcassell View Post
                THANKS!

Thanks for the replies. OK, I was either in auto mode or scene mode, I'll try again later and see what I can do. I've looked around for "best settings" on the interweb and I've seen a few references....does anyone here have any good "best of, all round settings for everyday shots"?

Thanks again for the help, you're all really very helpful and welcoming.

Cheers David
                Hi David - 'A' or 'M' mode, ISO200, Center Weighted metering, SF+M... voila

'A' or 'M': no point in having a DSLR imho if you leave it in 'P' mode. Using Aperture priority or full Manual makes you consider your shots far more than you would otherwise, usually resulting in a higher keeper/delete ratio.

ISO200: slightly faster than ISO100 with absolutely no loss of image quality

The other two are self explanatory.
                John

Comment

Originally posted by davidcassell View Post
                  I've looked around for "best settings" on the interweb and I've seen a few references....does anyone here have any good "best of, all round settings for everyday shots"?
                  Have you looked at Wrotiak's site? I don't think he's got anything about the E520, but there's this about the E510 http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-rev.html

John Foster has a good article about the E520 on Biofos http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e520_tst.html

In amongst these there is information about settings and so on, it'll get you started
                  - my pictures -

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                    Have you looked at Wrotiak's site? I don't think he's got anything about the E520, but there's this about the E510 http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-rev.html

John Foster has a good article about the E520 on Biofos http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e520_tst.html

In amongst these there is information about settings and so on, it'll get you started
                    Thanks John and Ellie. John, I'll be looking at those settings in the week ahead. Ellie, yes I did look at the Wrotiak site, it's referred to by a few others on the internet. Thanks!

David

Comment

Working...
                    X